The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Blighted Ovum??

I had an ultrasound today and they are saying I’m measuring at 8w1d. We only had sex twice and during the time I should have ovulated and based off of those dates I would be 5.5 days. Since they are putting me at 8.1 from my lmp, they are saying that this ultrasound looks like blighted ovum to them.... but I’m seeing something there at the bottom and they said they don’t see that as being anything of substantialness because it’s not a true yolk sac or fetal pole. If I really am only 5.5 weeks then could this be the start of a yolk sac? I’m so confused and upset, this is my first pregnancy and I’m just scared if they are right. I go back on April 30th to have a confirmation ultrasound on if this is truly blighted ovum or not. Anyone have any input?

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
3 Comments
Oldest First
McKennasMom2220

I have longer cycles and I ovulate late so I am concerned about having this same type of confusion with date of lmp/date of conception when I go to the OB this week. What ended up happening with your follow up appointment? Did you see the yolk sac?

rem21917
@McKennasMom2220,

I really don’t like the LMP dating stance even when you know you have long cycles. I know I ovulated on CD33 because I temp. When I called to make an appointment and told them my LMP, even mentioned my ovulation date and they still scheduled an appointment for this week. I’ll only be 5+2 and my last pregnancy ended as a blighted ovum so I’m very nervous they are going to do something like OPs doctors did ��

TwoAugustBabies

I had a blighted ovum last year. We discovered it at my 8 week ultrasound and I went back every week for 3 weeks to confirm that I wasn’t just super early and that My dates were off. Unfortunately, it was a blighted ovum and I miscarried naturally at 11 weeks. It was the worst experience of my life and I was very angry at the world. I felt completely blindsided when I went in expecting to see something and didn’t. I ended up getting pregnant again 2 months after my miscarriage. I’m now 31 weeks with my rainbow baby. I wish you the best and just know that if it is a blighted ovum, the sooner you try again the easier it is to get pregnant.