Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoanthus sp.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoanthus sp.
    Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:42pm
Hey everyone!!! So with all this spare time i get to spend inside this summer i decided i`d like to try and post weekly coral pics and descriptions. Please anyone feel free to add any questions or comments!
So with the first one i decided to stick with something easy and very common. ZOO`S....... Everybody loves zoanthids right?

Zoanthus sp.

Kingdom: Animalia (animals)
     Phylum: Cnidaria (cnidarians)
      Class: Anthozoa (anemones and corals)
       Subclass: Zoantharia
       Order: Zoanthidea (zoanthids)
        Family: Zoanthidae
        Genus: Zoanthus

Species: Zoanthus alderi
     Species: Zoanthus coppingeri
     Species: Zoanthus danae
     Species: Zoanthus mantoni
     Species: Zoanthus pacificus
     Species: Zoanthus pulchellus
     Species: Zoanthus sociatus (green sea mat)
     Species: Zoanthus solanderi
     Species: Zoanthus vietnamensis
     And many others, mostly unclassified

I know I know There more like an anemone than a coral and this should be in the inverts section but i`m going to be posting mostly corals so i think i`ll just keep it here.

Zoanthus sp.
Common Names: Sea Mat, Button Polyp, Sand Polyp, Polyp Rock, Colonial Anemones

Identification: Mat-like colonies of polyps with a fringe of blunt tentacles surrounding the oral disc, in contrasting shades of green, red, orange, pink, and blue. Zoo`s obtain most of there nutrition from there zooxanthellae. Some do, but most do not eat meaty foods (All eat dissolved organic matter). Some eat sea urchin eggs, chopped worms, or finely chopped fish. Zoanthus are very common and fast reproducing colonies throughout various reef zones. Their polyps are rarely larger than 0.5 in. across the oral disc. Zoanthus species normally by buds that are attached at their base to the parent colony.

Captive Care: Zoanthus colonies are highly dependent on their zooxanthellae-- rather than active feeding on zooplankton-- for energy, and should always be placed in the aquarium where they will receive bright lighting and ample water flow to help remove debris from inbetween the polyps.

Species Info

Atlantic and Pacific Species:

Zoanthus pacificus: Small to large clumped colonies of short-tentacled polyps that vary in color, usually found in shallow areas with high water movement. The oral disc is often a contrasting lighter color.

Zoanthus sociatus: Forms elaborate piecemeal mats of normally green to turquoise polyps. They are often found on reef flats exposed to high light intensity and intermittently strong currents. Stolon-connected polyps normally have 30 short tentacles, polyps are extended continuously day and night and feed predominatly on detritus, not zooplankton.

Atlantic Species:

Zoanthus pulchellus: Forms an encrusting mat so dense that polyps crowd and press against each other when expanded. Polyps are variable in color (but often brown) and have short, blunt tentacles. When unexpanded, colonies are usually hemispherical and suggest Favia like coral heads. This species is found in variable light and current conditions, with deep-water colonies occasionally fluorescent orange.

Zoanthus solanderi: Forms large, dense, fast-growing colonies primarily on reef flats and back-reef areas. Theyare aggresive competitors and are usually able to overgrow nearby sessile life.

Pacific Species:

Zoanthus coppingeri: Small polyps are not encrusted with sediment, forms large colonies on coral rubble and on colonies of M. digitata, found in bright colors, including orange, red, yellow, and green. Light and current-loving colonies are found on rocky shores and reef flats.

Zoanthus mantoni: Dark brown and green, grayish blue, or bright green polyps form a mat that is usually buried in silt and substrate up to the oral disc, and is often found along with Protopalythoa. The oral disc shows white, distinct patterns that can be quite pretty and that contrast with the tentacles. This is a lagoon species that prefers low current and bright light but is very tolerant of varying aquarium conditions.

Zoanthus vietnamensis: Forms extensive, sheetlike mauve or blue rubbery, thinly encrusting mats, the polyps are completely buried in the coenenchyme. Numerous short tentacles usually contrast in color with the rest of the colony, light blue or blue green oral discs are common. Found in areas of rough shallow water where it may occur with Palythoa and/or Protopalythoa.

Ok thats all i can type in one day. Most of this text is from
Eric Borneman`s Aquarium corals book and also Julian Sprung`s invertebrates. Pictures are from my own collection and also Reefermadness.us Let me know what you think or if there are any grammar problems and please POST MORE PICS!!! LET`S SEE EVERYONE`S ZOO COLONIES!!!!

Edited by Kyle - June 01 2006 at 1:20am
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 5:49pm
We need to start a wiki for utahreefs.com.  You've just written the Zoathid article.  We could have the best reef wiki on the web

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:59pm
Nice pics.
Great article.
BTW - I got my Maroon Gold Band Clowns from you guys and love them.
How expensive are the Blue and Pink Zoos?
Linn
Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:01am
Great Griff! I`m glad you like them!
The Blue zoo`s are a frag from coreyk`s tubbs colony. I only have a small piece myself so i`m going to grow those for a bit before they`ll be ready to frag. The pinks I keep saying i`m going to frag "today" so maybe today if i can get some help. When there fraged out i`ll let you know if there are any available pieces left, I`ve already got a list of people that want those but i`ll put you in line if you want?
Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:13pm
    For some reason i can`t get these back up with the orignal post so here`s some more pics

Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:51am
By the way what`s a wiki?
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:55am
Anyone else have zoanthid pics to share?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:17pm
I started a "aquatic database" about 5-6 years ago.  It started out as a Cnidaria database.  I then started a fish database.  Unfortuantly is was impossible for one person to keep up with the information so I recently updated it to the "wiki" format.  It can be found at www.aquaticdatabase.com

You can check out some page examples here:

Fish:
http://aquaticdatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Amphiprion_ocellaris
http://aquaticdatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Zebrasoma_flavescens

Corals:
http://aquaticdatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Plerogyra

http://aquaticdatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Xenia_elongata

Terms:
http://aquaticdatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Term

Unfortunately the old database information could not be easily converted to the new wiki format so content is limited right now.  Most of the work in the new wiki format has been spent creating templates and entering terms.  These will allow a consistent look across the web site and also allows neat features like taxonomy information to be populated automatically (assuming the info is in the database).

It still needs quite a bit of work (which is why I really haven't post much about it yet).

I wouldn't mind partnering with the WMAS to make this a great web site if they were interested.  I thought I would get it a little more refined before I mentioned anything.

Kyle,

Would you mind if I used some of your pics and info (I of course will give you credit).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 3:44pm
Of coarse Jake no problem
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 9:14pm

Kyle, check out your content in wiki format here.

A wiki is a collection of articles written collaboratively by anyone who wants to contribute.  Check out wikipedia.com.

Jake,
I'll create a log in for my self on aquaticdatabase.com and make an edit here and there.  I'll start an article on quarantine tanks from the recent quarantine thread that I started.

I think that with all the great information that flows through this forum on a regular basis, we can create an awesome wiki project.
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Jared Wood Jared Wood wrote:

Kyle, check out your content in wiki format here.

A wiki is a collection of articles written collaboratively by anyone who wants to contribute.  Check out wikipedia.com.

Jake,

I'll create a log in for my self on aquaticdatabase.com and make an edit here and there.  I'll start an article on quarantine tanks from the recent quarantine thread that I started.

I think that with all the great information that flows through this forum on a regular basis, we can create an awesome wiki project.

Thanks Jared. I moved most of Kyle's information over to database. It still needs quite a bit of work, but much of the template work has already been done.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 8:24am
Looks Good!!!! Great job Jake
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 2:01pm
those pink zoo's are beautiful! any frags of those?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 2:54pm

Thanks.

The nice thing about the wiki software I use is it is pretty easy to make a easy to read document because much of the formatting is done for you.

Edited by Jake Pehrson - June 06 2006 at 2:55pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic