Heliofungia?

Afonso

Octopus
Hi had this since it was a 5p coin now is a couple pounds wide and very tall probably about an inch, all in about 2 months to. Running the web and I find that is more probable to be a helifungia den a fugia mushroom.

Question

1- is it a helifugia ?

2- why is the heliofugia more expensive? Any particular reason?

a27c906ff3b3dfa1cd554e8f9cface7e.jpg

c77e4543017fa40838679b0df8195164.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Fungia & defo not a Heliofungia. Heliofungia look more like anemones or torch corals, they look like this:
th

They are extremely hard to keep, unlike Fungia & that is why they are so expensive- they are rarely available because of the poor success rate in keeping them alive.

That looks more like a Fungia than a Heliofungia to me. Long-tentacled plate corals (Heliofungia sp.) have much longer tentacles with distinctive blobs to the ends.

As to why they are more expensive than their short-tentacled cousins I do not know. They are reportedly much harder to keep and if damaged in anyway, ie the flesh gets torn, then they tend to die shortly afterwards. Oh and they grow quite large too, lovely corals.

Regards

Lisa

That looks more like a Fungia than a Heliofungia to me. Long-tentacled plate corals (Heliofungia sp.) have much longer tentacles with distinctive blobs to the ends.

As to why they are more expensive than their short-tentacled cousins I do not know. They are reportedly much harder to keep and if damaged in anyway, ie the flesh gets torn, then they tend to die shortly afterwards. Oh and they grow quite large too, lovely corals.

Regards

Lisa

Alright didn’t realised that you could get the fugia in short and long tentacles. So would mine be the long tentacle fugia

Alright didn’t realised that you could get the fugia in short and long tentacles. So would mine be the long tentacle fugia

LOL, compared to a Heliofungia your coral has short tentacles

LOL, compared to a Heliofungia your coral has short tentacles

Lol i mean on the fugia class not the heliofugia. There’s the flat short tentacle and then there is another that is more of a triangle shape With larger tentacles? Am after the name for the second one

One more.. this was mine. Took it as a rescue badly torn and damaged, this is how I returned it

Those prices are in AUS$, they call it mushrooms for some reason!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

One more.. this was mine. Took it as a rescue badly torn and damaged, this is how I returned it

Those prices are in AUS$, they call it mushrooms for some reason!

Most fugias are classified as mushroom, dnt ask me why... donno. that’s the one am looking after the name. Is that fugia? Should of keep it looks awesome

Ha.. I wish.
I needed space on the sand bed.
It was just green when I got it. Kept feeding it vitalis pellets and ocean nutrition marine pellets 2. It started getting those purple hues and was looking lovely.

These are my fungias a couple of months ago. They are all clones, coming out of a piece of rock that still has the smaller ones attached. The big one in the front used to be attached to it too. They grow really fast and are always hungry.

IMG_20180826_131724759.jpg

Now there's a thing, I always thought fungia were strictly substrate dwellers, I had no idea they lived on rock as well. Live and learn :)

Now there's a thing, I always thought fungia were strictly substrate dwellers, I had no idea they lived on rock as well. Live and learn :)

I think while small they typically attach themselves to rocks, and when reaching a certain size they detach and become free living (typically in sandy substrates).

These are my fungias a couple of months ago. They are all clones, coming out of a piece of rock that still has the smaller ones attached. The big one in the front used to be attached to it too. They grow really fast and are always hungry.

IMG_20180826_131724759.jpg

That is really cool, I also have one still in the attached stage. Were they born in your tank?

Back