Zebrasoma Desjardinii disease

Papleslie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone have a similar problem? What could be the problem?
IMG_6728.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6728.jpg
Large spots like these remind me of flukes. A FW dip would help to ID if they fall off. Hopefully someone in #reefsquad can weigh in.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large spots like these remind me of flukes. A FW dip would help to ID if they fall off. Hopefully someone in #reefsquad can weigh in.

Scott,
I think your spot on / below link

I'd try the freshwater dip test as well.

@Papleslie
If they don't fall off and die during the freshwater dip, then scroll down and repost inside the fish disease forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Papleslie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! But there are stains on the aquarium glass. The problem with fish is the wear of its float. similar to bites, but it is not a bite. The end of your swimmers will run down!

OP
OP
P

Papleslie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
I think your spot on / below link

I'd try the freshwater dip test as well.

@Papleslie
If they don't fall off and die during the freshwater dip, then scroll down and repost inside the fish disease forum.
Thanks! But there are stains on the aquarium glass. The problem with fish is the wear of its float. similar to bites, but it is not a bite. The end of your swimmers will run down!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's really hard to fully understand the above post, on my end.

Your tang and the articles fish are showing parasites, not bite marks from anything else.

It may be bullied by your other fish??? (fin nipping), but it does have parasites. If so (with fin nipping) then remove the above tang to save its life.

and... your tang has a secondary issue regarding its top and tail fins, with fin rot.

Post it up in the disease forum.

Hoping for the best, for your tang.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The end of your swimmers will run down!

Okay,
let's say the white spots are on your glass.

Then it has fin rot
19b0ebb991f33d16293bba98dc64653a.jpg

Or your other fish are swimming it down to pick on it.

If your other fish are swimming it down, then remove that tang.

If its fin rot then put it in a quartine tank for treatment, but there would still be another main (route cause) to bring on fin rot.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Fin Rot

Fin rot is generally a bacterial infection brought about by poor water conditions or physical abuse by tank mates. In cases involving aggressive tank mates or fin-nipping behavior, fin rot is a fairly common secondary infection. The most common symptoms of this disease include reddening or fraying of the fins – in extreme cases, the infection may lead to total destruction of the fin. The key to treating this disease is to halt its progression before the fins are totally destroyed. Remove any affected fish to a quarantine tank and begin treatment with an anti-bacterial medication. Performing frequent water changes to improve water quality in the tank is also an essential element in the treatment of this disease and, in some cases, a salt bath may also be effective."

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head and Lateral Line Erosion disease, HLLE. The white spots deterioration of the special cells along the lateral line used for detecting slight changes in water presure and there's erosion around the face. Dust from unwashed or poor quality GAC can cause it as well as poor water quality.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head and Lateral Line Erosion disease, HLLE. The white spots deterioration of the special cells along the lateral line used for detecting slight changes in water presure and there's erosion around the face. Dust from unwashed or poor quality GAC can cause it as well as poor water quality.

Tim,
You may be right but just can't capture HLLE on my end.

@Jay Hemdal

Would you mind taking a look at this thread with your thoughts and guidance?

Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6728.jpg
Hello. Your sailfin tang has head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). There is also some fin damage which is sometimes related to HLLE in Zebrasoma tangs, but this could also be caused by an infection.

How quickly did the holes around the eyes take to develop? How long have the fins been like this? Did you recently use carbon in the aquarium?

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
P

Papleslie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Your sailfin tang has head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). There is also some fin damage which is sometimes related to HLLE in Zebrasoma tangs, but this could also be caused by an infection.

How quickly did the holes around the eyes take to develop? How long have the fins been like this? Did you recently use carbon in the aquarium?

Jay Hemdal
Thanks in advance for your help!

The fish have been here with me for 3 months. He was completely healthy.
The problem now starts 2 weeks ago.
And yes, I use a lot of activated carbon. Unfortunately, I have overdosed on iodine before and that’s why I try a lot of activated carbon.

OP
OP
P

Papleslie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

This is awesome! So activated carbon filtration causes me! What to do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! So activated carbon filtration causes me! What to do?
It is very difficult to reverse this problem once it starts. Always rinse your carbon well, and use pelleted carbon if you can. Removing the carbon does not always work because it is the carbon dust getting into the tank that causes this issue.
As I mentioned, the fin damage may be a separate issue.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back