Wrasses and Borbonis (Holanthias borbonius) best place to get

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after I mortgage my house I plan on going on a fish hunt (jk - selling lots of stuff out of the basement though :) )

Where do you guys pick up the best deals on fish?
I don't like liveaquaria's pricing at all. Wholesale stock list on a Lineatus is ~$70, and they want $200

But I do want to get some good rarer fish -

Rhomboid
Labouti
Flame
Lineantus
Mystery
Maybe a Hooded

And round it out with a Holanthias borbonius (Blotched Anthias)

I have a local guy I get stuff from, but ordering is kind of sporatic. It should pick up now that the permits have been issued for this year, but I am still looking for alternatives with good pricing.

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been to all the fish stores around the area and you kinda have to just go around... Aquarium one in rockville get in some interesting rare fish at times, in fact they are the only place i have seen blotched anthias. But IMO not the best water conditions.

i got this from them 2 weeks ago.

P1000611.jpg

As for the anthias, the best price is online. I have two of them (i ordered three... one died a few weeks later). i got my for 70 a piece. not sure i can list the website but i will let you know in PM. i think they have some now for 90.

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got myself a pair of Golden Rhomboids for my new tank and my cost on them was $225.00 for male, $115.00 for females. So i wouldn't look for much lower than that on those guys..

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mike from nyaquatic can get anything at real low prices.His blotchy anthias are like $60-70.00

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the thinking that you get what you pay for sometimes and I'm willing to pay extra for the LiveAquaria Divers Den fish. I like the guarantee along with knowing that the fish was treated in their systems as well. I've been there in person and like what I see, so I pay the price as well.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with SaraB. Divers Den is a bit more, but you get a 14 day guarantee, no questions asked. You know you will get a healthy, parasite free fish from them.
NYaquatics is where I got my choati last month.
You just have to shop around, and put the word out for what you are looking for.
Just like what you are doing now.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a mystery wrasse, add him last. They can get very aggressive.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the thinking that you get what you pay for sometimes and I'm willing to pay extra for the LiveAquaria Divers Den fish. I like the guarantee along with knowing that the fish was treated in their systems as well. I've been there in person and like what I see, so I pay the price as well.

If you buy through divers den, you are buying a QT'ed fish, and you know exactly what you are getting. Yes, rhombos are expensive. But I doubt you will find a better retailer for under $200. That is the going price on that fish no matter where you go. The only thing is when you go elsewhere the guarantee wont be half as good as liveaquaria's.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 123 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back