Why buy Ocellaris when Percula are more colorful ?

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Whenever people ask which Clownfish you prefer, the answers are always the Percula. So my question is, why buy Ocellaris while the other one is more colorful, just as hardy and just as popular?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occelaris reach marketable size more quickly than percula, so I think that the numbers I see I stores (not counted and anecdotal) reflects breeders choosing the species that can be reared and sold faster, thus having lower overhead and a faster ROI.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a whole they also are a tad smaller, and can be placed in smaller tanks. So when someone is setting up their first 10-15 gallon tank they will often stock with an ocellaris, given they can live for decades when that reefer upgrades to 100g nemo goes in the bigger pool.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I personal prefer ocellaris over percula ten fold. I like the clean orange with white stripes outlined by black much better than the black fading that is on percula. I also think that perculas orange is less bright and vibrant and more dull.

But, just my 0.02

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I personal prefer ocellaris over percula ten fold. I like the clean orange with white stripes outlined by black much better than the black fading that is on percula. I also think that perculas orange is less bright and vibrant and more dull.

But, just my 0.02

So the Ocellaris has darker eyes and more reddish body? I did some google search but some percula really looks like the ocellaris.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an interesting discussion. I honestly didn't even realize there was that much of a difference between them.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had to buy another male, after one my one ocellaris carpet surfed. Went onto at least a dozen different sites on how to tell false percula from true percula. I dont always trust lfs personnel when it comes to id’ing fish :p
It wasnt that I preferred one over the other, i just didnt want to mix species.
Till their full grown both look very similar to me. I always liked the regional darker morphs of the ocellaris personally, havent jumped on the $200 designer train yet lol.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had to buy another male, after one my one ocellaris carpet surfed. Went onto at least a dozen different sites on how to tell false percula from true percula. I dont always trust lfs personnel when it comes to id’ing fish :p
It wasnt that I preferred one over the other, i just didnt want to mix species.
Till their full grown both look very similar to me. I always liked the regional darker morphs of the ocellaris personally, havent jumped on the $200 designer train yet lol.

So the ones you had were the natural non-morph ones? I personally prefer these to the hybrids because they are.... Natural? Lol.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ones you had were the natural non-morph ones? I personally prefer these to the hybrids because they are.... Natural? Lol.
Yes, one was a slight misbar, it’s original mate was a caramel, the replacement was black ocellaris. Both caramel and black ocellaris are found on the GBR i forget the actual part.
the misbar it took sometime for me to even notice, when i purchased was the size of a dime lol.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Nemo and Dory mostly because my friends and relatives love them and more importantly how the young children that visit love them. Secondly I think the Percs look very pretty and I have no issues with them.
I am not picky about fish being common vs rare it’s more about what does well and makes my tank more interesting without breaking the bank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they both look great. I had a pair of occys for many years and now I have percs :)

They look different imo, occys having a cuter face and percs a bit more dramatic markings. The eyes are the most easily noticeable feature.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of deformed free Ocellaris and Percula. The Ocellaris in the first picture are not mine and I did not take it. While the Percula are mine. The larger one was a rescued Percula, not adequately care for, IMO, by it's previous owner. The smaller one is WC, new. I am tole the two Ocellaris are wild caught also. All 4 are in QT when pictures taken
Ocellaris. Ralerly do we see Ocellaris as beautiful as the more orange one here. Most are dirty orange like the darker one.
Ocellaris.jpg

Percula. Also deformed free here. The smaller one was beat up at LFS. He is healing. These are Onyx Percula, and have more black than average. Most of the time, the black coloration does not connect the second and third bar.
Percula.jpg

To each his/her own. I favor Percula. Deformed free is of upmost important to me. It is much harder to rise deformed free Percula in compare to Ocellaris. Ocellaris also mature and reach full coloration much quicker this much cheaper to raise to marketable fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back