What is Wrong with my Dottyback?

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend bought an orchid dottyback a few weeks ago. We saved him from a sixline wrasse that kept nipping him at the store. Upon bringing him home he did have a small bite or two but a week after having him he developed a huge grey/white patch on his sides. I did notice some very thin stringy poop that came from him. Other than that he is eating and acting very healthy. Upon some internet surfing I found that it seems to be very common for orchid dottybacks to get illnesses. I saw that a lot of these posts were left undiagnosed as the pictures were not clear enough but I sat and took pictures of him for a good ten minutes. I have some clear ones and would like anyone to say they need more to help a diagnosis. I believe I may have narrowed it down to a parasitic infection and to treat with Prazi-Pro, but I also want everyone's opinion from here as well.
20190227_180810.jpg
20190227_180743.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parasitic infection do you believe he has? Looks like it could be a secondary infection from injuries from the six-line. I would dose Metro, Kanaplex, and Furan 2. if you have or can get Ruby Reef Rally that is an excellent antiseptic and would help also. This looks pretty advanced and I’m guessing time isn’t on your side.

The stringy poop is internal parasites and either Metro or General Cure with Focus laced food will handle that.

@Big G

OP
OP
Shy519

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parasitic infection do you believe he has? Looks like it could be a secondary infection from injuries from the six-line. I would dose Metro, Kanaplex, and Furan 2. if you have or can get Ruby Reef Rally that is an excellent antiseptic and would help also. This looks pretty advanced and I’m guessing time isn’t on your side.

The stringy poop is internal parasites and either Metro or General Cure with Focus laced food will handle that.

@Big G

I wasn't sure what kind of parasite he had, it just seemed to match the general description. I've also been told it could be Brooklynella and/or a bacterial infection.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure what kind of parasite he had, it just seemed to match the general description. I've also been told it could be Brooklynella and/or a bacterial infection.

I thought about brook also, does he have sloughing skin, or mucous? Either way Metronidazole treats brook also. If it is brook you need to move fast as it’s a quick killer.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your original diagnosis, looks to be a bacterial infection. Good advice given, though he will need to be moved to a QT for treatment, and quickly :(

The reef rally (or another source of acriflavine... some have used API Fungus cure successfully in a pinch) should be administered via a 90-minute bath en route to QT. I use a 5-gallon bucket with a small heater and airline. Otherwise, the three antibiotics mentioned work well dosed in a QT every 48 hours, for 10 days... with a 20-25% water change before each dose. If you don't have these or can't source them quickly, API Triple Sulpha is another good wide-spectrum antibiotic.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also +1 for feeding metroplex (or general cure) + focus for the stringy white poop, which in indicative of intestinal parasites. Feed 10 days, at least twice daily. Can be done in conjunction with the above antibiotic treatment.

1 scoop metro + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon of thawed food
or
2 scoops GC + 1 scoop focus +1 tablespoon food

OP
OP
Shy519

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. I began treatment for internal parasites a few days ago and I do a freshwater dip twice a day. He is recovering and looking amazing

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. I began treatment for internal parasites a few days ago and I do a freshwater dip twice a day. He is recovering and looking amazing

Good news! You might want to slow down on the two a day FW dips though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back