What does my yellow mimic tang have?

MLaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my yellow mimic tang is looking like this for a week or so, it doesn't have any other symptoms for ich (like scratch or head tilt) but I think one or two of my other fish have ick, I'm trying to managing it with a UV lamp and vitamins and garlic... But is this ich on my tang? He is eating like a pig and happy as normal. I have him for 5 or 6 years now and I love him so much :,(

IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2526.jpg IMG_2525.jpg 794F6B76-0BEB-4B04-8517-CF8263A11C06.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know the parameters in your tank. It almost looks like stings from a coral or something - but odd to see so many. Sometimes Ich can cause local bacterial issues - or some fish react differently to Ich. Since other fish in the tank have it, it's tempting to figure out 1 cause for both. Any more information you can give? @vetteguy53081 has 10,000 tangs - lets ask him. @Jay Hemdal as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi my yellow mimic tang is looking like this for a week or so, it doesn't have any other symptoms for ich (like scratch or head tilt) but I think one or two of my other fish have ick, I'm trying to managing it with a UV lamp and vitamins and garlic... But is this ich on my tang? He is eating like a pig and happy as normal. I have him for 5 or 6 years now and I love him so much :,(

IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2526.jpg IMG_2525.jpg 794F6B76-0BEB-4B04-8517-CF8263A11C06.JPG
Chocolate tangs are susceptible to flukes and even brooklynella. This patchiness looks like Brrok on a tang and is best treatable with Ruby Rally pro starting with a 60-90 minute bath then 30 day treatment in the acriflavine. The Ruby treatment will take a couple of days to show results but should clear this fish up
Add aeration during treatment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chocolate tangs are susceptible to flukes and even brooklynella. This patchiness looks like Brrok on a tang and is best treatable with Ruby Rally pro starting with a 60-90 minute bath then 30 day treatment in the acriflavine. The Ruby treatment will take a couple of days to show results but should clear this fish up
I think this was a mimic tang

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think this was a mimic tang
Mimic tang is a chocolate tang - I have one. They are known by 3 names: Mimic Lemon Peel - Mimic surgeon and chocolate
Here is mine (same markings):

1687111885636.png

OP
OP
MLaura

MLaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your quick response, would Brook kill like very quickly or give other symptoms? He has those patchs for a week or so and no other symptoms…
I have a pair of clowns in that tank and they have nothing…
Do the acriflavine treatment needs to be given in QT?
I’m not sure if I can grab them easily.
He has flukes before and my cleaner wrasse took care of it… and he still around so not likely to be flukes…

OP
OP
MLaura

MLaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your quick response, would Brook kill like very quickly or give other symptoms? He has those patchs for a week or so and no other symptoms…
He has flukes before and my cleaner wrasse took care of it… and he still around so not likely to be flukes…

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acriflavine can be used safely in display tank and the brook on a tang is not like on a clown which displays heavy mucus. I had a powder brown with the same look a while back and Ruby Rally took care of it. Cleaner wrasse will pick at fluke worms but not erradicate the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't Booklynella. Those discolored "halos" are caused by single parasites - either ich or flukes.

Ich does not look the same on every fish. If you have seen ich spots on other fish, I would bet that this tang has it also. Sounds like "ich management" isn't keeping up with the reproduction of the parasites. You could try siphoning the tank sand every night to remove more of the reproductive tomonts.

Jay

OP
OP
MLaura

MLaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't Booklynella. Those discolored "halos" are caused by single parasites - either ich or flukes.

Ich does not look the same on every fish. If you have seen ich spots on other fish, I would bet that this tang has it also. Sounds like "ich management" isn't keeping up with the reproduction of the parasites. You could try siphoning the tank sand every night to remove more of the reproductive tomonts.

Jay
Thank you so much, I do suspect of ich, the guy now (is night now and lights are off) he is absolutely clean I'm assuming night bed mucus... But I do have a young emperor scratching a bit his head and a Blenny that sometimes show spots on fins... dang it!

I have a 138 uk gallons (620l) tank and I'm using a Vectron 600 UV lamp 230V and 36-38w, would that be enough?
Should I go hiposalinity too?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I do suspect of ich, the guy now (is night now and lights are off) he is absolutely clean I'm assuming night bed mucus... But I do have a young emperor scratching a bit his head and a Blenny that sometimes show spots on fins... dang it!

I have a 138 uk gallons (620l) tank and I'm using a Vectron 600 UV lamp 230V and 36-38w, would that be enough?
Should I go hiposalinity too?
UV often won’t control ich, not all theronts are killed, and the disease can often continue.
You might have a mixed infection of ich and flukes. Hyposalinity will control both at once, so as long as there are no invertebrates in the tank, that could be a good option. Here is a post I made about that:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought Chocolate and mimic were the same fish sharing the same names
You're correct - the OP said a 'yellow mimic tang' I misread it as something else

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow mimic I believe mimics the yellow angelfish ?
I can’t remember exactly

There are a number of tangs where the juveniles are yellow - including the Atlantic blue tang. I'm not sure of the biological adaptation for that in all of them, but for Acanthurus pyroferus, the fish here, as a juvenile, it mimics three different pygmy angels, depending on here it was found: half-black, yellow angel and the lemon peel angel. There is another species of tang, Acanthurus tristis that mimics the Eibli angelfish. The mimicry is based on the fact that predators have a difficult time catching and eating pygmy angels, so looking like one allows the tangs some safety.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back