Tomini Tang - White Patches

Necrosarox98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, got this Juvenile Tomini 2 weeks ago, in QT still. Has had these white patches sort of fade in and out since I got him. No other symptoms noticed. This a disease or just stress reaction or....?

Thanks
Eric
3f6825437698c194a97c7ed12747f388.jpg
09d8b1bfa3a308411c1a2b6cf3fde847.jpg
9c66895281be161c18413e777457dd44.jpg

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tomoni for about a year and half and since day one he would show similar white spots randomly. They would come and go and he always seemed healthy. Never scratched, or anything. I always thought it was just scratches from diving into the rockwork so dang fast and scratching himself. When I added a cleaner shrimp, he was the first to get his cleaning, and was the shrimps best customer. However, up until recently I was forced to pull all of my fish and qt them. All of my tangs underwent a freshwater/methylene blue dip for 5 minutes prior to qt to check for flukes. It did look like some dropped off. So between the activity with the cleaner, and the what looked like flukes from fw dipping, I would have to think flukes as well. And also, since he has been in qt, about 5 days so far with copper, he has never looked better! I would listen to humblefish and treat for flukes, then go back to qt. observe for any secondary infections or parasites and keep a close eye on him for a while.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tomoni for about a year and half and since day one he would show similar white spots randomly. They would come and go and he always seemed healthy. Never scratched, or anything. I always thought it was just scratches from diving into the rockwork so dang fast and scratching himself. When I added a cleaner shrimp, he was the first to get his cleaning, and was the shrimps best customer. However, up until recently I was forced to pull all of my fish and qt them. All of my tangs underwent a freshwater/methylene blue dip for 5 minutes prior to qt to check for flukes. It did look like some dropped off. So between the activity with the cleaner, and the what looked like flukes from fw dipping, I would have to think flukes as well. And also, since he has been in qt, about 5 days so far with copper, he has never looked better! I would listen to humblefish and treat for flukes, then go back to qt. observe for any secondary infections or parasites and keep a close eye on him for a while.
Hello. Trying to revive this thread. I've got a juvenile Tomini in QT for 5 days now, 4 with therapeutic levels of cupramine from seachem. I'm now seeing similar Whit spots. They really do t look like anything else. Could it just be the copper?

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge copper will not cause any skin or scale damage. I believe what you are seeing is the ich parasite showing up on the fish. Even though the fish is in theraputic levels of copper, the parasite is still protected by this fishes scales because they are slightly burrowed into them. This is normal for qt and. The ich will fall off as it does through its natural life cylce. This is the point the the copper is able to kill them. Most of the time when I qt fish, this happens within a week or so of adding them, then they fall off after a few more days. The goal is to never see them again after that :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back