School of cardinalfish

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 4ft 90g tank that I'm wanting to put a few more fish in. I've been looking at maybe doing some cardinalfish...something like the yellow stripe, red spot, or red stop light. Does anyone have much experience and success with keeping a school of these? And if so, what would you suggest?

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience working with cardinalfish, but I do think there are better looking cardinalfish out there than yellow stripes, red stoplights, or red spots. Try researching "Ring-tailed cardinalfish", they're my favorite cardinalfish. Here's a picture of a school:
Ring-tail_Cardinalfish,_Apogon_aureus.jpg

- C. Smith

OP
OP
P

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely another one to consider...thank you for the recommendation.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red spots have VERY high mortality rates in captivity. Unless you're willing to buy something like 15 of them to hope you end up with a little group (but don't be surprised if none make it) it's probably best to skip them. The stoplight cardinals seem to be very cryptic and nocturnal.

The yellowstripes are more robust and I've heard they will do well in little groups and aggregations, but don't expect them to school or any other cardinal to "school" or even loosely shoal as time goes on. Forming a school or a shoal is a defense mechanism that just doesn't work in the average reef tank without the threat of predators. I bought one of these a few months ago for the first time after 30 years in the hobby. They're outstanding little fish and mine is quite bold, swimming all over the tank and very visible at all times, and even buddying up to my Hector's goby from time to time. It has quickly become one of those fish that is on the short list of fish I will always have in my tanks. The other fish to check out is the longspine cardinalfish, but IME they just don't have the appeal or personality of the yellowstripe.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parvulus/red spot school well, but need to be fed often, 5+ times a day. If you skip feeding a day you will have loses.

Longspine/blue eyes stay together, but are kind of drab.

Most other cardinals are social when young, but will then pr off and leave the group, in some cases killing off the others.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back