OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, scratch that. Baby Pseudocoris yamashori.
Pseudocoris was my first thought, just hadn't had the moment yet to look up species. Not a genus I'm all that familiar with, as we don't see much of them in the trade.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a random question somewhat relevant...any good sources for coris venusta or xenojulis margaritaceus? Two rather affordable fish that I've never actually seen in person or really available online either.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenojulis never come in properly labeled, so I've nevee been able to count on a reliable supply.

Venusta wrasses should be available from anyone bringing in Hawaiian fish. I've always had them get aggressive to other wrasses, though.

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me ID this wrasse
20190619_120350.jpg

It was sent to me as a male adult black fin mccosker wrasse. However the missing dorsal filament and coloration make me believe this may be a female/juvenile non-black fin mccosker. Can anyone tell?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me ID this wrasse
20190619_120350.jpg

It was sent to me as a male adult black fin mccosker wrasse. However the missing dorsal filament and coloration make me believe this may be a female/juvenile non-black fin mccosker. Can anyone tell?
There's no way to tell until it matures more.

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to tell until it matures more.
Thanks! So it could be a male and black fin even though it is not showing either the dorsal filament of the color.

Or is it just that it's a juvenile, likely female now, and it may turn later into a male?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a juvie. When it develops a dorsal filament and color in the fins as it transitions to male we will be able to tell.

SixlineRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what the wrasse is that comes onto the screen from the left at about 1:53-1:58 of this video is?

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure this is a wrasse but the guy at the lfs said he thought it was and I agree. I'm about halfway through this whole thread and haven't seen this one yet (still working on reading the second half!)

IMG_20190615_150546.jpg
@lolmatt Hey, I'm the guy at the lfs who was with you about the wrasse. It looks like the species that it was claimed to be but those black dots throw off everything lol. It might be a hybrid or just a really unique pseudocoris yamashiroi.

More about this specific wrasse, this wrasse has been living in a 6'x5'x1.5' bare bottom reef for approximately 2 years or so (this tank had a whole other bunch of haliochores). Then we broke that tank down and moved it to our fish systems for another 3 weeks. Very hardy if anything. Boss gave it to me for free since it was only 10 bucks.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a really good picture of a juvenile yamashiroi. Those black spots really throw everything off, especially when we had it for 2+ years. Could be a hybrid or an unknown species who knows.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocoris-bleekeri-initial-phase-estimated-90-mm-TL-Bali-Indonesia-JE-Randall.png

Psuedocoris Bleekeri initial phase
Pseudocoris-bleekeri-terminal-male-aquarium-trade-Tea-Yi-Kai.png

Terminal Male

Dam it could have been gone for ten bucks holy cow.

Wow that's a really cool fish. No telling what it's really worth. Incredibly generous for you to offer it to me but it's all yours, more exciting for me to get closure on the species than owning it in this case. I wonder if these fish often change to male in captivity, I know many anampses stay female unless a male is present, so I'd say you have a mature female. Maybe your pencil will be similar enough to get her to morph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back