Heteractis malu

NumberFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the king of my tank. My Heteractis malu. I bought him off a guy in our local club and he has really settled in and is doing well. He moved just slightly when I changed my flow, but it was toward the front of my tank so all good. He is a model citizen, but not currently hosting any clowns. Was wondering if anyone could suggest any to try.
20170218_144127.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really nice looking Malu!
They are one of my favorites, especially for a mixed reef as they stay kinda small at 8-10" and keep really bright color, also stay at sand bed, so if they do wander it stays below, but usually they don't wander if happy.
Clarki is their only natural match as found in the wild, but I've had several percs accept them, and maroons will accept just about anything, others may take to it as well.
That's pretty much perfect placement for it.

OP
OP
NumberFish

NumberFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really nice looking Malu!
They are one of my favorites, especially for a mixed reef as they stay kinda small at 8-10" and keep really bright color, also stay at sand bed, so if they do wander it stays below, but usually they don't wander if happy.
Clarki is their only natural match as found in the wild, but I've had several percs accept them, and maroons will accept just about anything, others may take to it as well.
That's pretty much perfect placement for it.

How long did I it take your percs to find the malu once you put them in? Any strategies? Thanks.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost right away, but I had mine 5.5 years and they always had an anemone, I just changed what anemone I kept a few times for different reasons, but as soon as I pulled what they were in they were looking for a new.
Just be patient.

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous anemone, however, I'm starting to think that perhaps your anemone is a heteractis crispa and not a heteractis malu. Heteractis malu anemones have stout, sparse tentacles which although vary in length, they are almost always under 40mm in length.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like BTA tentacles can vary, some bubble, some not, malu can be slightly different too.
Several malus I had looked just like OP's, yet they never grew bigger than 8-10", typical of malu, and also lay very low in sand bed, not as needy for light as crispa

Tentacles alone are not best for ID, base, column, other characteristics depending on species of anemone

My last malu looked very similar.

Last edited:

kingnem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But aren’t there 3 heteractis? Atleast when discussing sebaes? Malu,aurora,crispa i think its crispa but youre right wed need to see the foot/column

kingnem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like BTA tentacles can vary, some bubble, some not, malu can be slightly different too.
Several malus I had looked just like OP's, yet they never grew bigger than 8-10", typical of malu, and also lay very low in sand bed, not as needy for light as crispa

Tentacles alone are not best for ID, base, column, other characteristics depending on species of anemone

My last malu looked very similar.

You had a malu op has crispa and autonomy has aurora edit: i was wrong autonomy has a malu aswell aurora has different tentacles i was thinking of the beaded sea anemone not aurora

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older post, maybe op will chime in on size by now.
I'm curious what YOU see in tentacles that make you think crispa.

I do agree w/ aurora ID

kingnem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im honestly just looking at length and shape of tentacles i could be totalllly wrong i have no degrees in anemone classification but it does appear to have longer tentacles that make me think crispa

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back