martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I just bought a catshark egg at my LFS
they told me it is a cat shark, and didn't know the exact species.

when I got home, and inspected the egg, I noticed it was open, and I held the openening, and a perfect baby shark came out, no yolk sack, all absorbed.

I need help identifying the exact species, my guess is either, coral catshark o marbled cat shark.

anybody knows how to get him to start eating? I heard it is difficult at first.

Thanks in advance

20180626_165831.jpg
20180626_165844.jpg

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this one of the two sharks you had in QT earlier this month? What happened to those two?

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? 300 gallons ++? Your Local Fish Store sucks big time to even sell you that fish. Another question... hopefully you don't plan to get your shark a puffer and name him Doggo ?

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this one of the two sharks you had in QT earlier this month? What happened to those two?
One of those is doing great in my tank, the other died the day after I got it.
This one hatched out of the egg today.

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? 300 gallons ++? Your Local Fish Store sucks big time to even sell you that fish. Another question... hopefully you don't plan to get your shark a puffer and name him Doggo ?
My tank is 200 gallons, and I'm making a 500 gallon pond to move them when the time comes. no puffer :)

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about your QT method for the sharks. What were they in QT for, just observation? I would suggest having the large pond up and running now. I don't believe in keeping fish that require larger tanks in smaller tanks until they grow up. I don't know about you but my parents didn't take me home from the hospital in the glove box just because I fit and only move me into the house once I outgrew the glovebox. These fish would live in the ocean their entire lives so the minimum I can give them is the minimum aquarium size they will require as an adult.

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about your QT method for the sharks. What were they in QT for, just observation? I would suggest having the large pond up and running now. I don't believe in keeping fish that require larger tanks in smaller tanks until they grow up. I don't know about you but my parents didn't take me home from the hospital in the glove box just because I fit and only move me into the house once I outgrew the glovebox. These fish would live in the ocean their entire lives so the minimum I can give them is the minimum aquarium size they will require as an adult.
I agree, but sometimes animals will feel safer, in a smaller environment while they are growing up. An aquarium is not the ocean. in the ocean a very small percentage of fish makes it to adulthood. but I will move them to the pond when the are about a foot long.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited about your plans for the pond! Can you share some? Also, what's your tank now look like? I encourage you to create a build thread or at least part a full tank photo here.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited about your plans for the pond! Can you share some? Also, what's your tank now look like? I encourage you to create a build thread or at least part a full tank photo here.
20180626_194013.jpg

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same feelings when I first mentioned the original sharks but I won't withhold what I believe is good advice just based on what we know so far.
So other than trying to judge if I'm an idiot, can you give any advice?
I'm not new to animal care or husbandry, I'm new to sharks, and I did all the research I could, but there is contradictory information, and the advice vary depending who you ask. also LFS people tell you whatever to make a sale. I though maybe there are some experienced people in this site who can share their success with cat sharks.
and I know what a rectal prolapse is. lol

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't know many reefers that would consider keeping sharks because they will eat crustaceans and most would consider them non-reef safe. That being said, looks like you have a decent setup for them if they can swim the perimeter on the sand. I would follow LiveAquaria's suggestion: When first introduced into the aquarium, small pieces of cleaned squid or live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. Then it may be fed shrimp, scallops or pieces of fresh marine fish. Feeding these sharks quality foods such as whole cockle in the shell, fresh shrimp and squid, and frozen mussel are ideal.

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't know many reefers that would consider keeping sharks because they will eat crustaceans and most would consider them non-reef safe. That being said, looks like you have a decent setup for them if they can swim the perimeter on the sand. I would follow LiveAquaria's suggestion: When first introduced into the aquarium, small pieces of cleaned squid or live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. Then it may be fed shrimp, scallops or pieces of fresh marine fish. Feeding these sharks quality foods such as whole cockle in the shell, fresh shrimp and squid, and frozen mussel are ideal.
I'm interested in keeping only a few soft corals, and predatory fish.
Thanks for the advice, but you can understand how someone, could be offended when you answer their question comparing them to doggothepuffer.
I put a lot of effort and time into my tank. and I'm still learning.

Thanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I just bought a catshark egg at my LFS
they told me it is a cat shark, and didn't know the exact species.

when I got home, and inspected the egg, I noticed it was open, and I held the openening, and a perfect baby shark came out, no yolk sack, all absorbed.

I need help identifying the exact species, my guess is either, coral catshark o marbled cat shark.

anybody knows how to get him to start eating? I heard it is difficult at first.

Thanks in advance

20180626_165831.jpg
20180626_165844.jpg
Looks like a banded cat shark. When ours hatched I had to hand feed the shark a slurry of mysis shrimp, squid and oysterfeast from a syringe. After a week or so it started taking in small pieces of squid. For the next year it ate anything off a feeder stick but the favorite was squid. They grow quick and smaller fish can become an issue. It never bothered our snails or crabs oddly.

OP
OP
martinsp

martinsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a banded cat shark. When ours hatched I had to hand feed the shark a slurry of mysis shrimp, squid and oysterfeast from a syringe. After a week or so it started taking in small pieces of squid. For the next year it ate anything off a feeder stick but the favorite was squid. They grow quick and smaller fish can become an issue. It never bothered our snails or crabs oddly.
How much did you feed it each feeding? how often?
how long can you wait without feeding after it hatches?

Thanks in advance

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back