Has anyone seen this color Cyphastrea?

MarleyMoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone -

I picked up this little one a week ago and am not sure if this is just bleached out or?? It's more darker grey than white, though. The polyps are orange and there is some orange towards the bottom of the mat. Has anyone ever seen this color Cyphastrea? So far my Google searches has not been fruitful...

It looks like it is trying to turn orange throughout maybe.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :) and sorry the photo is not the best!

Cyphastrea.jpg

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks great! Did yours start out drabbin out before becoming that beautiful speciman?
Ya, it's been probably atleast 7 years ago and have had to frag/tone it down many times and just give chunks away to local guys. It's what I consider a no brainer coral, grows anywhere in all lights even on the undersides where no direct light hits and under a variety of water params, basically bulletproof!

Upvote 0

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cyphastrea lately does not have great polyp extension. It is still encrusting on the live rock and has excellent color.

I have noticed the part of coral on the live rock does not have the same mature polyps as the frag plug.

I have also started raising magnesium around 1500

Upvote 0

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a kenya tree sway into it last week that I cut down. It was hitting the meteor shower and the acan. Both were closed up. I am running carbon. Also the frogspawn is a new addition

Upvote 0

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyphastrea dont like light at all, found they are happiest 50-100 par and like hb said will even grow great on the underside of frags etc.
100% not true. My Bizarro is being a PITA creeping up towards my Acro’s, it’s steadily advancing under 350 PAR… seems to grow fastest in 150 - 200. dang stuff is like a weed, wish I’d never put it in there!

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My meteor showers polyps have never come out yet its growing like crazy. Dont think the polyp extension is a true guage of its health. Not sure what causes them to come out or go in. My lfs i got it from the polyps are out and its in massive flow. Polyps blowing sideways. Mine is in high flow and they dont come out. But must be happy cause it is growing all over

Upvote 0

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% not true. My Bizarro is being a PITA creeping up towards my Acro’s, it’s steadily advancing under 350 PAR… seems to grow fastest in 150 - 200. dang stuff is like a weed, wish I’d never put it in there!
Thats interesting, just what my experience has been. Specifically with meteor shower and PPE

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MarleyMoose

MarleyMoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Well maybe it's another case of "stability is key" and things just adapt over time? Very interesting though.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back