Guess that fish!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, seriously! I want to see what whacky combinations you guys can come up with for this Flasher. My LFS and I have looked at this fish (And my Angel actually) and gone “What the?!” Nobody has been able to get a full ID on this fish so far. All we can confirm is the chances are high that this was a Hybrid. The fish is beneath my Cebu Cirrhilabrus lubbocki in the first photo. A photo on his own with fins out is also below.
So far all I’ve found for sure is it’s a hybrid and he shows signs he could be a three way hybrid.
So, let’s hear those whacky Paracheilinus combinations!
F94A3F07-696D-498C-96CB-10596BFC7A81.jpeg

0CBC5740-2706-4A7F-B4E6-F27D82D384C3.jpeg

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, seriously! I want to see what whacky combinations you guys can come up with for this Flasher. My LFS and I have looked at this fish (And my Angel actually) and gone “What the?!” Nobody has been able to get a full ID on this fish so far. All we can confirm is the chances are high that this was a Hybrid. The fish is beneath my Cebu Cirrhilabrus lubbocki in the first photo. A photo on his own with fins out is also below.
So far all I’ve found for sure is it’s a hybrid and he shows signs he could be a three way hybrid.
So, let’s hear those whacky Paracheilinus combinations!
F94A3F07-696D-498C-96CB-10596BFC7A81.jpeg

0CBC5740-2706-4A7F-B4E6-F27D82D384C3.jpeg
My guess is it’s a red/orange fish lol!!! No seriously I think it’s probably a royal flasher wrasse probably a juvenile.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it’s a red/orange fish lol!!! No seriously I think it’s probably a royal flasher wrasse probably a juvenile.
It’s definitely a male, whether he’s a mature male is unknown however I would say he is through the colours.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are kind of asking the impossible to ID this wrasse according to the image provided. He is too young, just start transition, and no flashing. At this state, without flashing they are very similar. These are a few things that can help ID him, but I cannot tell for certain.
He has lunate tail; this eliminates a large group of species. He seems to have multiple spikes on his dorsal fins. Gold on the anal fin.
My tentative guess is that he is a P. filamentosus or a hybrid of this species, which is really common.
Put a large mirror on the tank and see if you get a picture of him flashing. If you can do this, it will be much easier to ID him.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better photo from today, my issue is he does display and he isnt young however, he doesn’t flash - My lubbockis seem to pressure him into not flashing.
F7CFBEDA-4BAF-4CFD-945A-470093D5EA16.jpeg

I’ve seen him flash once and he looked more like lineopunctatus than he did filamentosus which has given the thought he’s a three way hybrid. So far thoughts are;
Lineopunctatus x Filamentosus x Flavianalis

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say, the lining in the body are incorrect for a true filamentosus. He also doesn’t have that bold yellow between the white and the orange in the belly and main body, instead it’s more of a fade.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lineopunctatus flasher is essentially the same as a Blue flasher, Paracheilinus cyaneus, except they have round tail fin, no streamer. Here is a picture of my Blue Flasher. This fish was damaged before he got to me. Lost a bit of his lip, but I was able to nurse him back to health. Has a funny face becasue he is missing his upper and lower lips.
These species color change a lot from juvenile to adult and when flashing. (both Lineopunctatus and Cyaneus)
BlueFlasher2019052601.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lineopunctatus flasher is essentially the same as a Blue flasher, Paracheilinus cyaneus, except they have round tail fin, no streamer. Here is a picture of my Blue Flasher. This fish was damaged before he got to me. Lost a bit of his lip, but I was able to nurse him back to health. Has a funny face becasue he is missing his upper and lower lips.
These species color change a lot from juvenile to adult and when flashing. (both Lineopunctatus and Cyaneus)
BlueFlasher2019052601.jpg
I will say he looks slightly more like a cyaneus and when displaying did look very similar to that (Obviously, I am going off of just one time he displayed).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back