Gomphosus varius vs Gomphosus caeruleus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’ve seen both of these fish labelled as eachother. I figured if people want to own these wrasses, we may aswell show the visual differences, both as a male and female.
From my understanding, G. caeruleus is a solid emerald green colour as a male Whereas G. varius is Blue, Green, Yellow as a male
So going by that, this is a male G. varius
8B0B6FAB-30A0-42A2-9962-6752B9DC4E4B.jpeg

and this is quite possibly what goes under the loose term of “Super Male”
BA35F1DA-D9D7-43B9-BCA3-1F97E2ECC1C4.jpeg

Whereas this is a male caeruleus
BCCAE0B2-3035-4AE7-A436-7F4D6C7CFB74.jpeg

And this is possibly a “Super Male”
B20B8305-AC34-47D7-83C5-E3EA46CA3523.jpeg

But what are the visual differences between females? So, from what I’ve seen, female G. caeruleus has a yellow-ish patch that goes from her anal fin to just halfway up her body. And the female G. varius is the species we commonly see sold, with the half black body and the half grey head with black spots running through to just behind the eye.

So, going by that this is a female G. varius
65B23E4C-0640-40BD-8D31-64904071E3DE.jpeg

and this is a female G. caeruleus
C27BE31C-E088-4841-ABA1-7FA7F457C9ED.jpeg

The species we most commonly are being sold is G. varius however on the odd occasion I have seen G. caeruleus being sold under the same name.

I figured I should put this out there so you know what species of bird wrasse you’re getting into as what I’ve seen, G. various is more boisterous than G. caeruleus. These fish are rather active, much more active than the fairies and flashers. They also shouldn’t be housed with smaller less aggressive wrasses due to them possibly turning against their roommates even if they’ve been together as females for so long. An aggressive wrasse will soon get its temper, I have learnt this with a G. varius, H. chloropterus and many Thalassoma species.

G. varius:
Max Size: 12 inch (1 foot)
Reef Safe: No
Temperament: Semi-Aggressive to Aggressive
Will eat small inverts such as worms, shrimp, crabs, snails and in some cases small fish (1 inch or less). They don’t always eat small fish but will often stress them out to the brink of no return.

G. caeruleus:
Max Size: 13 inch (1 foot, 1 inch)
Reef Safe: No
Temperament: Semi-Aggressive to Aggressive
Will eat small inverts such as worms, shrimp, crabs, snails and in some cases small fish but this tends to be rare, they more stress out other fish to the brink of no return.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does all this research mean you're planning to get a bird wrasse in the future? :p

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bird wrasses are awsome and used to be very common for sale at a lfs but I haven't seen any in awhile. Along with cinnamon clowns. Where's my clown?! Lol
D
I’ve recently seen them coming back in. I had a chance to grab a G. caeruleus but in order to have that I’d need a large tank and I’d have to have a more boisterous wrasse gang. I have a dream of having a boisterous wrasse tank and I’d love to own another gomphosus again. They’re truly beautiful when they mature but with all aggressive wrasse, as they mature the more beautiful they are the more they pack in terms of aggression.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does all this research mean you're planning to get a bird wrasse in the future? :p
Haha, fingers crossed! I’d love another guy to care for. I’ve recently been missing the one I cared for in the past. Wish I kept him but oh well, guess I can try find another! And go for a different kind of wrasse gang to what everyone has.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, fingers crossed! I’d love another guy to care for. I’ve recently been missing the one I cared for in the past. Wish I kept him but oh well, guess I can try find another! And go for a different kind of wrasse gang to what everyone has.
Check this thread out. He had a pair of bird wrasses in a 80g tank, the fish were large and healthy and the tank was gorgeous. There's a video too.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this thread out. He had a pair of bird wrasses in a 80g tank, the fish were large and healthy and the tank was gorgeous. There's a video too.

Wow, they were beautiful! Dang I need someone to talk me out of wanting a bird wrasse. How would a 3 inch tilefish (Will be around 5 inch at max length) fare with a bird wrasse do you think?
4 years to get to 8 inch? I can cope with that, besides I have a jade with the potential to get 8 inch. Hmm, guess when I move if I can’t get a 4’ tank there I can always try downgrade to a 3’x2’ tank with a nice depth. If they’re fed enough they shouldn’t be too aggressive with other wrasse right?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they were beautiful! Dang I need someone to talk me out of wanting a bird wrasse. How would a 3 inch tilefish (Will be around 5 inch at max length) fare with a bird wrasse do you think?
4 years to get to 8 inch? I can cope with that, besides I have a jade with the potential to get 8 inch. Hmm, guess when I move if I can’t get a 4’ tank there I can always try downgrade to a 3’x2’ tank with a nice depth. If they’re fed enough they shouldn’t be too aggressive with other wrasse right?
I don’t know much about tilefish they seem to be fairly timid so I don’t think they’d do well with a boisterous bird wrasse. Bird wrasse are aggressive eaters and very energetic which I think would intimidate a tilefish into hiding. Guess this means you need another tank!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about tilefish they seem to be fairly timid so I don’t think they’d do well with a boisterous bird wrasse. Bird wrasse are aggressive eaters and very energetic which I think would intimidate a tilefish into hiding. Guess this means you need another tank!
Guess it does! Although, the tilefish is a more out and about fish than people think when established but definitely think a bird may startle it into hiding a lot more.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back