Fish ID: Bicolor Chromis

Drimacus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

New here. I picked up 3 bicolor chromis from my LFS - they only had 2 in one tank, so I grabbed one from another.

I've been having issues since I added them, my clown jumped out, and seem to be overall aggressive - some of my corals aren't as active. I only had one clown in the tank previously, had some mishaps after going away on vacation too long, so have slowly been reintroducing fish.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed they looked a bit different. I was hoping for some help in identifying if these are truly the same, or why they look so different.

At this point, I have a pair of the ones on the left, and one of the ones on the right. I am thinking to get rid of the one on the right and see if that calms down the tension.

There are several notable differences with the one on the left:
Overall color
Eye on the back
Eyes
Bicolor

Appreciate any help - curious if they are two different species, or what I can learn about them.

IMG_3084.jpg IMG_3086.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

New here. I picked up 3 bicolor chromis from my LFS - they only had 2 in one tank, so I grabbed one from another.

I've been having issues since I added them, my clown jumped out, and seem to be overall aggressive - some of my corals aren't as active. I only had one clown in the tank previously, had some mishaps after going away on vacation too long, so have slowly been reintroducing fish.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed they looked a bit different. I was hoping for some help in identifying if these are truly the same, or why they look so different.

At this point, I have a pair of the ones on the left, and one of the ones on the right. I am thinking to get rid of the one on the right and see if that calms down the tension.

There are several notable differences with the one on the left:
Overall color
Eye on the back
Eyes
Bicolor

Appreciate any help - curious if they are two different species, or what I can learn about them.

IMG_3084.jpg IMG_3086.jpg
The fish in the first pic seems to be Pomacentrus bankanensis - the Speckled Damselfish - while the fish in the second pic seems to be Pycnochromis margaritifer - the Bicolor Chromis.

Edit: Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back