Do all types of filefish eat aiptasia?

posittron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has two types of filefish. One looks like the matted file fish except it has a whitish yellowish body with small black spots on it(picture attached) and the other type is the popular matted filefish that they advertise as "aiptasia eating". The matted filefish is more expensive than the other yellow filefish. Which one should I go for?
1573056504422.png

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has two types of filefish. One looks like the matted file fish except it has a whitish yellowish body with small black spots on it(picture attached) and the other type is the popular matted filefish that they advertise as "aiptasia eating". The matted filefish is more expensive than the other yellow filefish. Which one should I go for?
1573056504422.png
Never seen this species for sale; very nice. I have the "common" matted filefish which has eliminated my aiptasia problem, but I read where there is no guarantee on their food preferences

LukeM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will only eat live pods and flat worms. Don’t get me wrong, the flat worms being eating is great. It’s just frustrating that something with the name “Aiptasia eating” in it won’t eat aiptasia lol

AquaLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will only eat live pods and flat worms. Don’t get me wrong, the flat worms being eating is great. It’s just frustrating that something with the name “Aiptasia eating” in it won’t eat aiptasia lol
you might be feeding your fish too much, try limiting feed and see if your filefish starts to eat aiptasia. it will also help with any flatworm infestation because they eat rotting food and poop.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No -- only wild-caught matted filefish are known to be reliable aiptasia-eaters. They do not, as noted above, limit their diet to pest anemones. There are really so many lovely species of filefish, and so many better ways of addressing aiptasia problems, that matted filefish really should not be your first pick for a filefish.

I have four different species of filefish. None of mine (and I have a matted filefish) touch aiptasia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back