OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...I read that above comment wrong. It's the yellow clown goby that disturbs the coral. So many names in here right now lol

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will diamond gobys pair with a shrimp? Also will they disturb coral as much as a yellow watchman goby?

Wait...I read that above comment wrong. It's the yellow clown goby that disturbs the coral. So many names in here right now lol

I don't think diamond gobies will disturb coral too much, other than dumping sand on them occasionally.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I think I've narrowed it down a little bit.
I like the diamond goby, yellow watchman goby, and Randall's goby. So just so I understand, each one of these will only pair with a pistol shrimp correct? They won't disturb coral too much besides the sand sifting?

Also why not just tell me which one you would pick out of the three?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the diamond goby, yellow watchman goby, and Randall's goby. So just so I understand, each one of these will only pair with a pistol shrimp correct? They won't disturb coral too much besides the sand sifting?

I went with the yellow watchman goby because I have a nano and it doesn't get as big as the diamond goby. That Randall's goby looks really cool but I've never seen one at an lfs. I might have gone with that one if it was available, not sure how big they get.

As far as the other stuff goes, they only pair with shrimp in the pistol shrimp family. I've never heard of them disturbing coral. When I was researching to find out why my yellow clown goby was being such a terror, I only came across post about yellow and green clown gobies bothering corals. Oh and citron gobies, think I saw some post on those disturbing corals as well but not 100% sure about that.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of the three you listed, the Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) would be the most difficult to keep. They sift the sand in the search for food; and causing a mess while doing so. And the Valencienna sp. of gobies do not form a relationship with pistol shrimps.

The Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) and the Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli) will bond with pistol shrimps; as well as the Stonogobiops sp. gobies. These gobies don't sift the sand at all; they stand guard as the shrimp dig the burrows. You will see the gobies periodically scoop a mouthful of sand, but that is only to maintain the burrow. They do not sift the stand all over the tank; they just spit it out away from the burrow.

When it comes to having corals close by, larger pistol shrimps (like the Tiger Pistol Shrimp) will drag small corals and frags to the burrow to use as structure. I've even had a Tiger Pistol Shrimp drag a small (1-½") clam into the burrow's entrance. Pistol shrimps will constantly be working on the burrow by pushing sand out and using small pieces of rock/coral to build up the walls. The shrimp will pose more of a threat to corals on the sand bed (or those not attached to the rock) than the gobies; albeit is a small threat.

1st.timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the yellow watchman goby because I have a nano and it doesn't get as big as the diamond goby. That Randall's goby looks really cool but I've never seen one at an lfs. I might have gone with that one if it was available, not sure how big they get.

As far as the other stuff goes, they only pair with shrimp in the pistol shrimp family. I've never heard of them disturbing coral. When I was researching to find out why my yellow clown goby was being such a terror, I only came across post about yellow and green clown gobies bothering corals. Oh and citron gobies, think I saw some post on those disturbing corals as well but not 100% sure about that.
My citron goby does not bother my corals, in fact I would like another one. Very funny and cute.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the three you listed, the Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) would be the most difficult to keep. They sift the sand in the search for food; and causing a mess while doing so. And the Valencienna sp. of gobies do not form a relationship with pistol shrimps.

The Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) and the Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli) will bond with pistol shrimps; as well as the Stonogobiops sp. gobies. These gobies don't sift the sand at all; they stand guard as the shrimp dig the burrows. You will see the gobies periodically scoop a mouthful of sand, but that is only to maintain the burrow. They do not sift the stand all over the tank; they just spit it out away from the burrow.

When it comes to having corals close by, larger pistol shrimps (like the Tiger Pistol Shrimp) will drag small corals and frags to the burrow to use as structure. I've even had a Tiger Pistol Shrimp drag a small (1-½") clam into the burrow's entrance. Pistol shrimps will constantly be working on the burrow by pushing sand out and using small pieces of rock/coral to build up the walls. The shrimp will pose more of a threat to corals on the sand bed (or those not attached to the rock) than the gobies; albeit is a small threat.
What kind of food do the diamond goby eat? Pods or just uneaten food that the fish didn't eat?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My citron goby does not bother my corals, in fact I would like another one. Very funny and cute.

That's good to know. I'm glad someone with real world experience had success with citron gobies and corals. Do you have as any sps?
I think I might have come across the citron info on liveaquaria.

"The Citrinis Clown Goby feeds on the mucous polyps of Acropora sp. in the wild and is considered reef safe but will nip at the polyps or bases of Acropora sp. and possibly other SPS corals. If the SPS dominated aquarium is not heavily stocked with very mature colonies these fish may severely damage Acropora sp. in these displays."

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of food do the diamond goby eat? Pods or just uneaten food that the fish didn't eat?
Some diamond gobies will eat prepared food, some won't. Their primary food source is the microfauna in the sand. Diamond gobies are also prone to internal parasites.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some diamond gobies will eat prepared food, some won't. Their primary food source is the microfauna in the sand. Diamond gobies are also prone to internal parasites.

I had 2 Dimond gobies die in quarantine after 2 weeks of looking healthy and eating.
The other fish in quarantine were fine, so Im thinking the diamonds had parasites that did them in. I'm ready to try again, but I will be proactive with treating for parasites this time.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are micro fauna kind of like copepods and amphipods?

Tony Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy is one of my favorites. Neon Green Clown Goby
IMG_0811.jpg

1st.timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I'm glad someone with real world experience had success with citron gobies and corals. Do you have as any sps?
I think I might have come across the citron info on liveaquaria.

"The Citrinis Clown Goby feeds on the mucous polyps of Acropora sp. in the wild and is considered reef safe but will nip at the polyps or bases of Acropora sp. and possibly other SPS corals. If the SPS dominated aquarium is not heavily stocked with very mature colonies these fish may severely damage Acropora sp. in these displays."
Mine eats flake food and brine shrimp.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jlanger are all of those gobies in the same tank? Any aggression issues?

The Randall's Goby is in my 120gal; along with a Yellow Clown Goby (G. okinawae).
The Yasha Goby, the pair of Wheeler's Gobies and the trio of ORA Masked Gobies are all in my Fluval M60.
There's no aggression at all. When I added a cave rock, the Yasha Goby was the first to claim it but the Wheeler's eventually took residence. It was more of a "move along" type situation than anything physical.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Randall's Goby is in my 120gal; along with a Yellow Clown Goby (G. okinawae).
The Yasha Goby, the pair of Wheeler's Gobies and the trio of ORA Masked Gobies are all in my Fluval M60.
There's no aggression at all. When I added a cave rock, the Yasha Goby was the first to claim it but the Wheeler's eventually took residence. It was more of a "move along" type situation than anything physical.

That's pretty sweet! Do you have more than one pistol shrimp as well or just the gobies in the M60?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to feed a diamond goby? I heard put the food under the sand by the burrow?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back