Anyone out there with a Panda Goby?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. How many of you have a panda goby? If so, can you post a pic here and let me know how long you've had it? Also, what fish do you have in the tank with it. I'd love to hear everyone's experience with them. Thanks in advance!

** pic for reference. not mine. **

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.23.53 AM.png

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in the past and they lived a long time for a small goby but I personally wouldn't recommend them unless you love cryptic species. I kept them with zostera seahorses and I wouldn't have known they were in the tank (12 inch cube), or at least didn't know they were in the tank, until I stripped it down. I only had one small rock structure in there and still could never see them (or the griessingeri goby with it). If it wasn't a shop display tank then it might have been more of an issue as I'm fine with reclusive species but I'd like to see them at least a couple of times a month.

They aren't as cute as the fuzzy faced pandas but the black, green or yellow coral gobies are a much better option imo.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in the past and they lived a long time for a small goby but I personally wouldn't recommend them unless you love cryptic species. I kept them with zostera seahorses and I wouldn't have known they were in the tank (12 inch cube), or at least didn't know they were in the tank, until I stripped it down. I only had one small rock structure in there and still could never see them (or the griessingeri goby with it). If it wasn't a shop display tank then it might have been more of an issue as I'm fine with reclusive species but I'd like to see them at least a couple of times a month.

They aren't as cute as the fuzzy faced pandas but the black, green or yellow coral gobies are a much better option imo.

thanks for the info. much appreciated!!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry feel a bit guilty now, with my experience potentially putting people off. They are a super little fish and they couldn't be cuter but they are just so small and you don't realise how small until you see them in the flesh. I think this diminutive size is why they are so cryptic, just about anything can make a meal of them. If you want to keep them then they will eat newly hatched baby brine shrimp, or at least I assume they do as for zostera seahorses you need basically a sterile tank and only the brine was added. I assume any small copepod, rotifers or similar sized food would also be taken if they were to come across it.

These are a couple of pictures I stumbled on that really show off their faces.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry feel a bit guilty now, with my experience potentially putting people off. They are a super little fish and they couldn't be cuter but they are just so small and you don't realise how small until you see them in the flesh. I think this diminutive size is why they are so cryptic, just about anything can make a meal of them. If you want to keep them then they will eat newly hatched baby brine shrimp, or at least I assume they do as for zostera seahorses you need basically a sterile tank and only the brine was added. I assume any small copepod, rotifers or similar sized food would also be taken if they were to come across it.

These are a couple of pictures I stumbled on that really show off their faces.

Don't feel guilty! I appreciated the feedback. I actually have one in QT right now with @OceanDevotionLA, and I'm really excited to get it. I'll update this thread once I get it and it's in the tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back