Top Shelf Aquatics

fish ID

Daftboy

Hey I work at a LFS and was told from my one of the distrubuters we order from that this was a candy basslet... its color is weak at best.. but I had already paid for it ... what fish do you guys think it is ?

Untitled.jpg

I mean in real life under reg. lighting... its def orange stripes not red and its white as in the pix is def a lite purple

Which is the anal fin.. also my 6 line chases him... I guess the stripe pattern is too simlar cause normally he is very calm... The "candy" only is present at night...hence the flash and bad colouring

It's definitely a Swales Swissguard Basslet (Liopropoma swalesi)

p-90098-swales-swissguard.jpg

Swales Swissguard Basslet

candy-basslet.jpg

Candy Basslet

p-72355-swissguard-basslet.jpg

Swissguard Basslet

I mean in real life under reg. lighting... its def orange stripes not red and its white as in the pix is def a lite purple

Which is the anal fin.. also my 6 line chases him... I guess the stripe pattern is too simlar cause normally he is very calm... The "candy" only is present at night...hence the flash and bad colouring

Unfortunately what you have is the Swalesi basslet (Liopropoma swalesi), which is definitely not a Candy basslet otherwise it would be $600+. Pretty fish nonetheless! :D

If it makes you feel better, sometimes they're called Pacific Candy Basslets.

Well thats that... and no I paid next to nothing for the fish.. thats why I took my chances and fig it could go bad or good... I think total I paid around 30 ish :owned:

Well thats that... and no I paid next to nothing for the fish.. thats why I took my chances and fig it could go bad or good... I think total I paid around 30 ish :owned:

That's still a good price! Pretty much all of the Liopropomas are fairly expensive. Around here they just had a Swalesi sell for $90.

Little confusion here.

L. rubre is commonly called a "Swissguard Basslet"

L. swalesi is commonly called "Swales" or "Pacific Candy Basslet"

The fish in the original post is 100% an L. swalesi.

$30 is a damn good price for one. Back in the day these fish were pretty rare, not L. carmabi rare but around $200 or so. And that was like 2003, so equivalent to $300 nowadays. ;)

Archived