Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Mandarin

chumcrazy

Hey Guys, I got a red mandarin a few weeks ago. I cant tell if its male or female. It is small so that may be why it does not have a tall front fin or its a female. Problem is I cant verify if the red mandarin gets a tall fin. I have google searced it and can not find one red mandarin with a tall fin. Does anyone have a red male? I have decided to dedicate my tank to this fish and would really like to have a pair. Thanks.

I think this is just a colour morph of the Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus). I've seen these sold as red blue, green and what not. Seems like just another marketing scheme so they can charge more. In any case how about some pics?

Females tend to have short dorsal fins so i'd guess it's a female.

Hey thanks for the response. Like I said I have done alot of research on the internet. The pic of the male is a green mandarin ( I found this picture but it does no good they have mis identyfied this one) for anyone that thinks there is not a diffrence you need to see them side by side. The reds have alot more red. There is no doubt that there is a diffrence. Maybe some are just more red in color but to me the reds are much more beautiful. Thanks for the help I have my LFS on the lookout if i find out any more info i will post.

Hey 3 sec. Stevie T do another google search you will see the red mandarin the head of the fish stands out and shows the diffrence. The Dive Time link shows two of them together. Maybe male and female but no fins up. Guys like you keep alot of folks from posting. Like i said Ive done research and couldnt find anything thats why im asking this forum. My whole tank is dedicated to this fish. If you have something useful to say please post if not keep it to yourself please. Thanks.

Guys like you keep alot of folks from posting. If you have something useful to say please post if not keep it to yourself please. Thanks.

Good. Have fun not posting

Good. Have fun not posting

if YOU dont have anything useful then dont post. your a smartass and all i am saying is that guys like you keep people from posting. No such thing as dumb question. Only dumb people with stupid answers.

the diffrence. The Dive Time link shows two of them together. Maybe male and female but no fins up.

lol mandarins dont always have their fins up. do your research.is this the pic?

mandarin_fish02.jpg

is this the pic?

mandarin_fish02.jpg

You and steve must be buds. I said in the pic they didnt have there fins up. Why do you guys even post all you do is try and find something to flame about. Good word for you guys FLAMERS. If you two would find the will to not post in this thread anymore im sure no one would mind.

ahh my bad, i didnt read it right. sorry

btw take a chill pill

pm D3monic... hes like a mandarin gawd

Hey thanks for the help. Thats why i asked. I read all these forums and there are always a few guys that dont ever help but are always flaming other people. I hate it. I will pm him and i do apreciate your help. Thanks

i found some pics....

this red mandarin has a tall fin

MandoFace(web).jpg

and this one

Green%20Mandarin%20Fish.jpg

and this one

mandarin-fish.jpg

and this one (its already been posted)

p-89421-Red-Mandarin.jpg

and heres another

mandarin-red.jpg

and heres one, you can see the fin folded down

1541-largest_Mandarinfish.jpg

NaClCrocodile

That last picture you posted. Which would be the male? I thought males in nature were usually smaller. I guess you would be able to let it grow out to find out.

OP, Google "Internet Tough Guy," you'll laugh.

That last picture you posted. Which would be the male? I thought males in nature were usually smaller. I guess you would be able to let it grow out to find out.

OP, Google "Internet Tough Guy," you'll laugh.

i think the male is the bigger one... ot has the longer fin... also the smaler one looks pregnant.

for most fish, yes males are smaller. but with mandarins the size doesnt really matter

Archived