Top Shelf Aquatics

Twin-Spot Hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus)

DoubleD

I have researched this fish quite a bit, and my LFS had a good deal on a beautiful orangish colored one for 50% off.

post-41021-1266088030_thumb.jpg

Has anyone actually had experience with this fish?

He is small for now, around 2 inches, and they supposedly max out at 4. I have plans to upgrade to a 40B within a year, so he'll be fine. Most text books recommend 30G minimum when they are full grown.

Every text book I read says this fish is good in a reef, and with it's tank mates. Model citizen.

Of course, here on this and other forum sites, you get anything from "Shrimp Killer, deadly carpet surfer" to "Great fish".

I have him in a BC14 with an Ocellaris and a Skunk cleaner. The skunk tries to "sanitize" him, and he wiggles away, no aggression at all. I have lots of stacked LR with tons of caves and crevices that he floats around picking pods and worms. He joins in on the weekly cyclopeeze feast. And sleeps in a tunnel at night.

Lmao.

Good looking fish!

No experience with it, but if you like I can tell you it's a nightmare that's going to kill your other fish, steal your lunch money and burn down your church.

Lmao.

Good looking fish!

No experience with it, but if you like I can tell you it's a nightmare that's going to kill your other fish, steal your lunch money and burn down your church.

Thanks! omgomgomg

That's what I thought...I'll give him a ride on the American Standard waterslide...lol

So far, he's been a model citizen, 3 days now...

Thanks! omgomgomg

That's what I thought...I'll give him a ride on the American Standard waterslide...lol

So far, he's been a model citizen, 3 days now...

I've had my bimac hog since June. He gets along great with everyone.

I've had a twospot hogfish for 2-3 months now.

Not sure if my experience is typical, but mine is kind of a bully. I've got a neon goby and tail spot blenny and the hogfish basically wont leave them alone. He chases them into caves relentlessly.

He also is a high threat to jump out of the tank. The first night after we bought him, he jumped out of the tank. Thankfully we were there and put him back. 2 months later, he jumped out again. So definitely make sure you have a tight fitting lid.

So far so good.

I have a tight fitting custom acrylic lid I made for my tank so there is no jumping, and if he does, he has a surprise.

The clownfish is 3 times his size, so there is no bullying. The clown chases him away when he gets too close to his zoa bed,a but occasionally, he lets him do a swim-by and pick at pods.

He hasn't messed with the shrimp, mainly because every time he swims by, the shrimp tries to grab ahold of him and do his cleaning thing. The shrimp is much larger then he is too.

I feed the tank cyclopeeze once a week and they all seem to like it. I just shave off a bit and turn the power heads off for an hour, and they swim and eat for that time. His belly seems to be full most of the time from pods, worms and such, (I have a lot of those), so maybe that's a factor??

i have one and its probably one of the most active fish i have, it shares a 30g with a fairy wrasse and 2 blue eye cardinals the tank is a frameless with no top and i see no aggression between any of the fish. It eats everything i chuck in there, cyclopeeze,PE mysis, hikari brine shrimp, live blackworms, and NLS pellets.

here he is

IMG_2319.jpg

Have you had success getting it to eat mysis or pellets? I bought one a couple days ago and was told it would be ok with those.

Mine has started eating pellet food w/garlic, and once a week he has been eating cyclopeeze. I haven't tried mysis because I don't have it.

I would start with the cyclopeeze first. He will also pick at pods and such.

I had considered adding a Hogfish to my 30g tank, which currently houses a B&W Ocellaris and a Fairy Wrasse.

I've had a hard time finding much information on them though.

Yours looks nice.

I've been totally happy with mine so far.

Active in the tank, reminds me of the pygmy angel I had, always swimming sideways, forwards and back, upside down to get at stuff under and around the rocks and corals.

It's been a great purchase.

AA, right? So you got one of them! Wonder who got the other? Beautiful fish and a great deal at 50% off. I wish I had jumped when I saw them. C'est la vie.

I have one, they call 'em "Yellow Candy Hogfish" in my area. I've had it for about 6 months now, great fish. Very active, swims in and out of the rock work, and it eats pretty much everything I throw in the tank, including nori seaweed sheets. I wouldn't consider my hogfish aggressive per se, but ocassionally I'll see it nip at my clowns away if they get into its space.

• 2 years later...
mattgreene22

Reviving an old thread...curious about the outcome farther down the road.

How did this fish work out for you?

I have 2 false percs and was considering one of the candy hogs, but also want a dwarf angel. This is in a 46bow...no other fish at present.

Mine is absolutely amazing. Reminds me a lot of a sixline wrasse, just skinnier and yellow. They nab pods off the rockwork with lightning speed. As mentioned before, they're pigs and will eat anything you feed them. Between him and my hifin perchlet I rarely see a shrimp, pellet or flake uneaten. Great fish with a ton of personality and color. I'd highly recommend them!

Here's mine:

TSCH1.jpg

Archived