Top Shelf Aquatics

Tube anemone

GabaGhoul

I just got a new orange tube anemone in my tank and he is gorgeous, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Feeding? Lighting? Placement? Water flow?

Additionally, how long does it take them to make a tube for themselves. Mine has been in the tank for 2 days right now. It seems he has begun to make a casing out of the sand but it looks like this process may take a while. Any help would be much appreciated.

tubes are cool but keep in mind their sweeper tentacles get longer when they are hungry.

I lost a nudi branch and a blenny off of one!

Keep a good distance to where it would not interfere with other corals as well. Place in an accessible area for feeding and removal, just in case!!

I kept mine in med flow, too high isnt good for theses guys. they cant extent their tentacles fully, and you cant really appreciate the tentacle swaying gently in the current.

I fed mine 2 times a week with Krill, medium to large piece of it. The tube grows and get longer as time progresses.

I had one in crushed coral, and another in fine sand.

Unsure about lighting, I had mine under PC and they did fine.

you may get A NO3 spike since they are carnivorous, so keep up with the WC, and run that skimmer.

Uv would be bad idea too for these guys IMO.

good luck!

tubes are cool but keep in mind their sweeper tentacles get longer when they are hungry.

I lost a nudi branch and a blenny off of one!

Keep a good distance to where it would not interfere with other corals as well. Place in an accessible area for feeding and removal, just in case!!

I kept mine in med flow, too high isnt good for theses guys. they cant extent their tentacles fully, and you cant really appreciate the tentacle swaying gently in the current.

I fed mine 2 times a week with Krill, medium to large piece of it. The tube grows and get longer as time progresses.

I had one in crushed coral, and another in fine sand.

Unsure about lighting, I had mine under PC and they did fine.

you may get A NO3 since they are carnivorous, so keep up with the WC, and run that skimmer.

Uv would be bad idea too for these guys IMO.

good luck!

Thanks for the help. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind. There seems to be very little information on this animal out there.

As far as acclimation goes, I just laid him on the sand since my anemone came without a tube although he does appear to be forming another. How long does this process take? Should he have dug himself a hole already?

He seems OK, of course, he does appear to have shruken in size and tentacle length since I added him 2 days ago. The longer tentacles also look as if they are spiraling more. When I first put him in the tank they were straighter. Does your tube shrink and expand? Is this normal? Is it just a factor of acclimation?

On the subject of feeding, can it be too early to feed him, being that it has only been 2 days and he is forming a new tube? I tried to put a piece of krill into the mass of tentacles and the anemone seems to have no interest in eating. Should I be worried? Should I start out with something smaller than krill? (ie. cyclopeeze, mysis, cut up krill into smaller chunks.) Do they only eat at night? I tried feeding when the lights were on.

Sorry for all the questions but I am just so interested in this animal and what it takes for him to thrive.

Thanks.

I dug out an area for it and planted him in there.

Lay horizontally, cover with about 1inch of substrate. It will then dig deeper if it needs to.

hell be settled within 1-2 weeks .

Dont worry about feeding him until hes well at rest.

I went 2 weeks without feeding mine and it still survived.

when its hungry, it will grab the food, and it totally awesome@@!!!

I dug out an area for hion and planted him in there.

Lay horizontally, cover with about 1inch os substrate. It will then dig deeper if it needs to.

hell be settled within 1-2 weeks IME.

Dont worry about feeding him until hes well at rest.

I went 2 weeks without feeding mine and it still survived.

when itd hungry it will grab the food. and it totally awesome@@!!!

Excellent. I'm so psyched. Thanks for the help ldballoon4. Got any pictures of yours. Attached is an image of what my tube looks like right now.

post-21437-1192586674_thumb.jpg

very nice!!

I had them in my 38 gallon, but, when I went nano, I sold it back to the LFS. mine was blue-green, and the center was photo luminescent under the actinics.

Archived