inTank Media Baskets

Ocellaris vs. True Percula

nanoty

Ok so why the big difference in the two other than color pattern. Is one "better" than the other? My LFS has "true perculas" for $24-$36 or ocellaris for $10. Cost is not an issue but I just wonder why the big difference? I was thinking of buying a pair of the ocellaris he has because they are very small right now. I am not sure about them pairing up, what are the possibilities of conflict between them before they establish their "roles"? I have already used way too much "quotations" so I will stop now. Thanks

crazinezz978

post-23837-1176240995_thumb.jpgJust got my shipment of 2 true perculas today morning @ 9:30 from reefhotspot.com.

I will post pics by tonight for people...they are the awsome!

My LFS has the false for 15.99 . The deal is true percs have a better color pattern. Which is ofcourse, what people look @!!! Thats why we buy fish, remember! cause it looks good.

But

The true percs are actually better because they have more personality. A lil more aggressive.

I bought a large one and a medium 1. I introduced the small one in the tank first and the big one after 5 min. They paired off well it looks like. They have been swimming together ever since.

If your buying percs...i say get the true percs, they look better and are more aggressive. Grow larger, have better color pattern, take a look @ mine:

post-23837-1176240995_thumb.jpgJust got my shipment of 2 true perculas today morning @ 9:30 from reefhotspot.com.

I will post pics by tonight for people...they are the awsome!

My LFS has the false for 15.99 . The deal is true percs have a better color pattern. Which is ofcourse, what people look @!!! Thats why we buy fish, remember! cause it looks good.

But

The true percs are actually better because they have more personality. A lil more aggressive.

I bought a large one and a medium 1. I introduced the small one in the tank first and the big one after 5 min. They paired off well it looks like. They have been swimming together ever since.

If your buying percs...i say get the true percs, they look better and are more aggressive. Grow larger, have better color pattern, take a look @ mine:

Those do look very nice! :)

can you tell the difference by just looking at them? I thought I had an ocellaris until I looked at your pic, check mine out and tell me what you think, the bright orange one in the front

100_0007.jpg

HammyDavisJr

I have both in my tank. I like them both for different reasons.

True Perc - Very pretty to look at. Cool striping and black bordering. Neat eye color under actinics. Knows that I am the 'GOD OF FOOD' so it's funny to watch him beg. The Bad, he doesn't really explore much. Hangs out near his Torch Coral and only come out to chase food.

False Perc - Waaay more energetic and curious. Paired up with the True perc immediately and now they are inseperable. Willing to travel around the tank and explore the other inhabitants. I bought him and he was pretty drab colored. After about 2 months, he's oranged up and is very bright. He's consistently having the "submissive seizure" in front of the true perc, and he does a good job of luring her out to explore with him. The bad...not much..just 'not as pretty' and sometimes bugs my goby, but I think it's funny. He's extremely hardy as well.

If my True croaks, I'll probably get another false.

DSCF1377_(Large).JPG

DSCF1446_(Large).JPG

DSCF1471_(Large).JPG

DSCF1473_(Large).JPG

GORGEOUS clowns guys! :)

I think those are true ocellaris...not percula...

How was the business from reefhotspot.com? Im interested in a true percula baby as a freind for my current ocellaris (shes becoming dominant, you can see... so if i got a adult true, they'd fight like nuts) but am worried about shipping it? How much did shipping cost for you? Are the fish healthy and eating well? How did you pay for them? Were they packed good, and did they leave them on your doorstep? If you could answer those questions i would be very happy! :D :D :D lol

Overall with clowns... I have ocellaris, and have had them before. They are nice, calm, active, fairly hardy, and i like them! Havn't had true perculas... yet ;) lol

Flick

• 6 months later...

what is everyone's vote for this one? True or false perc? i got it from a fellow reefer as a "clown fish"

i can't tell what the last dorsal spine is. ORA says that true percs have more dorsal spines than ocellaris, but other sources on the internet say the opposite.

post-2104-1192600433_thumb.jpg

what is everyone's vote for this one? True or false perc? i got it from a fellow reefer as a "clown fish"

i can't tell what the last dorsal spine is. ORA says that true percs have more dorsal spines than ocellaris, but other sources on the internet say the opposite.

I vote false. Hammy, nice to see that you can pair a true and a false together. Gives me hope. :D

Ocellaris is only $1 each while a Percula pair easily cost $60 and upwards. Needless to say, I got a pair of Ocellaris. Yup, me cheap b@stard. lol

Most if not all ocellaris are tank breed and hence the cheap price. Many people said tank breed ocellaris don't host anemone but mine dived straight into the anemone. Currently, they resided in the other tank where there're lot of hammer and frogspawn. The clowns host all of them.

Archived