1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Usb Power Install Front Dash

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by GeorgeO, Jan 11, 2020.

1. To power my mobile i at first bought a dual usb port with a din connection to plug into the available socket on the RH of the front cockpit.
    The position of the plug is not optimal, and the size of the usb port made it not that user friendly, with the port not always staying plugged in and moving around.

I proceeded to fit a new USB dual port on the LH front 'dash wing' - added bonus is the volt meter that will indicate any stator issues if ever

20200111_095720_resized.jpg

20200111_095652_resized.jpg

I purchased the following on Banggood

upload_2020-1-11_19-49-2.png

The supplied wiring is just the perfect length to join it up with the existing plug that pops into the back of the DIN socket. (i unpinned the pins and soldered the lead onto the back and then re-pinned the plug). Hole size 29mm

20200111_095122_resized.jpg

Easy peazy install.

upload_2020-1-11_19-48-6.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. Good write up :)

3. I did similar using the plug under the seat and run the wire forwards. No wiring then.

4. You got any photos that you could post?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Looks neat and I like the volt meter. Useful if you run your phone as a sat nav.

As my USB chargeable gadgets tend to live in my tank bag I have the Givi Power Hub and replaced the DC connector with a right angled Hella Din plug. This fits neatly into the right hand dash socket with the spring loaded lid neatly hooking over the top edge of the plug pretty effectively locking it in place. It hasn't fallen out to date.

The only issue was that the 10A accessory fuse blew once when attempting to plug this in with the ignition on. I now tend to plug it in with ignition off and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

6. Sorry no.

7. Having purchased a few varieties of Hella DIN USB adapters, I agree with your statement that they are not optimal. Your install is what Ducati should have done right from the factory.
    Short of performing that surgery, like bradders, I just ran a dual USB cable from the back to the front.
    https://www.amazon.ca/iFlash%C2%AE-Extra-Micro-Splitter-Cable/dp/B008LAHZD6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=iflash+USB+cable&qid=1579007859&s=electronics&sr=1-3
    Simple easy solution and problem solved. I keep one of my Hella DIN USB adapters to plug-it from under the pillion seat should I require charging another device. I see no need for the front DIN socket.

20190512_121435.jpg

#7 DarR, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Hi, is it wrong to plug in an accessory to a live ignition as a general rule? I'm just fitting a sat nav and bought a hella to micro usb lead and thought the lead was faulty. All sockets are now dead. Is that likely the accessories fuse?

9. I've never had any issues plugging into live accessory connections. I do it all the time in the car.

10. Thanks for that. Do you know if the 1200 DVT has a battery save function with ignition on (engine not running) to not power accessories? Its in the garage, with an optimate charger so no reason to suspect its a battery issue

11. Possibly, the fuse is under the seat, there should be a spare 10A. I bought a whole pack and typically the problem hasn't reoccurred.

12. Many thanks....yep fuse was the culprit and found the spare 10a.

13. Nor me, possibly a coincidence. But will connect up before turning on if it keeps the sat nav working!

14. I believe they do yes, more so if the key is not in range.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information