A

Anonymous

I moved a zoa frag and underneath I found an anemone-looking critter that I don't recall seeing before. It's tiny. For an idea of scale there's the closed zoa colony in the left side of the picture which was on the 'up' side of the piece of liverock. The foot is bright pink, and the ends of the tentacles are white. I turned it up towards the light and it's expanding with the top flattening out. Any clue as to what it is? Isn't aptasia or majano...

Attachments

• 06 09 09 whatisit.JPG
    06 09 09 whatisit.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 06 09 09 whatisit2.JPG
    06 09 09 whatisit2.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 274
A

Anonymous

Pictures kind of small but at the moment I'd say a species of Corynactis spp.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Attached a bigger one I took with the flash, again look at the zoas for scale. That's the best macro shot I can get, I needs me a macro lens. I guess I'll let it grow before I decide to nuke it offhand.

Attachments

• 06 09 09 whatisit3.JPG
    06 09 09 whatisit3.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 264
A

Anonymous

Since you found it underneath the rock and it doesn't retract from the light I would say a species of Pseudocorynactis.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

I like the green color on the tip! 8)

I will bid $181.01 on it if you put it on eBay.... :lol:

A

Anonymous

davidmohr":3jxd4fjy said:
Since you found it underneath the rock and it doesn't retract from the light I would say a species of Pseudocorynactis.

Regards,
David Mohr

Which would be a really cool hitchhiker. 8)

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":38ne90f4 said:
davidmohr":38ne90f4 said:

Regards,
David Mohr

Which would be a really cool hitchhiker. 8)

Well sorta. When they get bigger they can eat ornamental shrimp and small fish. It's best to target feed them meaty foods twice a week.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

We'll see what it grows out to be. If Dave M is correct ;) as usual and it is a Pseudocorynactis sp. then it'll have to get traded to the LFS. Today, those tentacles have retracted and for all the world it looks like a bleached ricordia or similar....shrug.

Attachments

• 06 10 09 whatzit2.JPG
    06 10 09 whatzit2.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 06 10 09 whatzit.JPG
    06 10 09 whatzit.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 213
A

Anonymous

I agree with Dave. I have some small ones here and there that look similar and they do not bother anything from what I have seen.

A

Anonymous

Definitely Pseudocorynactis sp.

My boss took a great picture of a very large individual in PI, nice and bright red and orange. I think most of them stay small and clear like this one.

A

Anonymous

10 days later it seems to be splitting 8O

Attachments

• 06 20 09 whatzit.JPG
    06 20 09 whatzit.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 114

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: