beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all how can i be sure i am getting a Zebrasoma desjardinii and not a Zebrasoma veliferum? they are both called sailfin tangs ithink, and i read a post by Greg Schiemer that z. desjardinii eats bubble algae. my problem seems to be going away, but id like to get one as a backup plan. also any personal experiences with the Z. d. would be welcome.
thanks
BB

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wo there tang police, i forgot to mention i wont be getting this till i get my 125. if you click on the 75gallon reef specs link i have a plan for my 125 including stocking plans. thanks for the warning though.
BB

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beerbaron":w6crdb2d said:
wo there tang police, i forgot to mention i wont be getting this till i get my 125. if you click on the 75gallon reef specs link i have a plan for my 125 including stocking plans. thanks for the warning though.
BB
Me? Tang Police? You got to be kidding.
BTW, Zebrasoma veliferum have yellow tail while the Zebrasoma desjardinii does not have a yellow tail (more spotted grey)
Both can reach Max size of 15.7 inches in lenght according to Scott Michael
Minh Nguyen

The Pirate

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps. Note spots on the belly.

Attachments

• desjardinii.jpg
    desjardinii.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,288

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minh Nguyen":z2fs6r12 said:
Both can reach Max size of 15.7 inches in lenght according to Scott Michael

so you think this is still to big for a 125? i dont want to cram anything in.

minh, are these differences notable on juvinile species?

the pirate, you pointed out the yellow spots on the Z. desj., does the Z. velif. have lines all the way down?

i still have to check that link you gave me Minh.

thanks for the help all.
BB

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beerbaron":3r9d8qbe said:
hi all how can i be sure i am getting a Zebrasoma desjardinii and not a Zebrasoma veliferum? they are both called sailfin tangs ithink, and i read a post by Greg Schiemer that z. desjardinii eats bubble algae. my problem seems to be going away, but id like to get one as a backup plan. also any personal experiences with the Z. d. would be welcome.
thanks
BB

The difference in coloration of the adults is pretty distinctive, but MUCH less so in juveniles. I've found that juvenile Z. desjardinii has a bit more yellow coloration than Z. veliferum. The sure way is to find out the origin of the fish. If it's Red Sea/Indian Ocean then it's Z. desjardinii. If it's Indo-Pacific or South Pacific in origin, then it's Z. veliferum.

Greg

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in coloration of the adults is pretty distinctive, but MUCH less so in juveniles. I've found that juvenile Z. desjardinii has a bit more yellow coloration than Z. veliferum. The sure way is to find out the origin of the fish. If it's Red Sea/Indian Ocean then it's Z. desjardinii. If it's Indo-Pacific or South Pacific in origin, then it's Z. veliferum.

Greg

thanks greg, thats good to know.
is their any in depth source of information on their care in the reef tank? are they a more difficult species of tang?

also, not to change the subject, but i also started another thread on urchins for control of bubble algae. i saw another post from you in which you addressed this topic, but not in detail. i would value your input on this also.
thanks so much
BB

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beerbaron":330tkrq0 said:
is their any in depth source of information on their care in the reef tank? are they a more difficult species of tang?

also, not to change the subject, but i also started another thread on urchins for control of bubble algae. i saw another post from you in which you addressed this topic, but not in detail. i would value your input on this also.
thanks so much
BB

I've written a few articles on tangs in reef aquariums. I'll have to see if they're available anywhere. I don't know of any other reference that goes into their care in reef aquariums.

IMO, the Red Sea/Indian Ocean Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma desjardinii) is one of the easier tangs to care for in an aquarium. In addition to being hardy, they tend to be more disease resistant, less aggressive, and less skittish than the other Zebrasoma tangs. If you don't have enough natural algae in the aquarium, you should supplement their diet with one of the dried macro-algae products. I'm partial to the Seaweed Selects red algae from Ocean Nutrition. Feed this in a clip every other day. This is especially important for juvenile fish, which have a high metabolism and little body weight to spare. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Long-spine urchins (Diadema spp.) will eat Valonia algae, but they tend to get very large, very quickly. In addition, they're not above munching on certain corals, such as Xenia. Contrary to opinion though, they are not clumsy and won't knock over or plow into things. I keep them in my aquariums because I find them beneficial and interesting.

Greg Schiemer

The Pirate

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/quote]the pirate, you pointed out the yellow spots on the Z. desj., does the Z. velif. have lines all the way down?
BB[/quote]

Yes and I believe the spots don't go all the way up the head either.

The Pirate

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSchiemer":3pz6vcll said:
Long-spine urchins (Diadema spp.) will eat Valonia algae, but they tend to get very large, very quickly. In addition, they're not above munching on certain corals, such as Xenia. Contrary to opinion though, they are not clumsy and won't knock over or plow into things. I keep them in my aquariums because I find them beneficial and interesting.

Greg Schiemer

Don't those long-spine urchins also eat coralline algae? 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Z. veliferum eats bubble algae. He is really really huge now.I can't believe it but I feel like my 155 is getting too small.

King Jason

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mulberry":1ncvr4ay said:
My Z. veliferum eats bubble algae. He is really really huge now.I can't believe it but I feel like my 155 is getting too small.

Time to get that 500 you've always wanted :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
King Jason":18m9e96e said:
mulberry":18m9e96e said:

Time to get that 500 you've always wanted :wink:

LOL, yeah, as soon as I get into a permanent residence.

You should hear my hubby complain about moving it!!

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a King pointed out you will see the tang grow very quickly and therefore I do not recommend this tang for a reef 125 gallon.

Please see www.wetwebmedia.com/tangs,.htm for a discussion of the tangs that might be more suitable to a tank of your size.
Thanks for asking

smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these tangs in a 75g. tank. Had him for over two years and he is thriving. He was about 3in. when I got him, and after two years he has only grown about an inch. Guess in about 5 or so years I will trade him when he outgrows the tank. Or upsize the tank.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beerbaron":tcs9a2a6 said:
so you think this is still to big for a 125? i dont want to cram anything in.
BB
I think if you keep him healthy, he will be too big for your tank.
minh, are these differences notable on juvinile species?
BB
Yes, you can tell even in a juvenile, same thing.
smokin reefer":tcs9a2a6 said:
.....Had him for over two years and he is thriving. He was about 3in. when I got him, and after two years he has only grown about an inch.....
The same discussion over and over again so i will not go over that here. IMO, given the rate of growth, I don't think smoking reefer's tang is in the best of health.
Minh

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beerbaron":3jltpgp9 said:

I just remembered that I wrote an extensive article on tangs for the Aquarium USA 2003 book-zine. It's published by Fancy Publications and is available at most major book stores and large-chain pet stores. I knew I had written something recently but my brain doesn't work as quickly as it used to. :D

Greg

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pirate":2l66n5ha said:
GSchiemer":2l66n5ha said:

Greg Schiemer

Don't those long-spine urchins also eat coralline algae? 8O

They will consume some coralline algae but not strip it bare. In fact, one study proposed that these urchins actually benefit coraline algae by cleaning the surface of epiphytic algae!

Greg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: