Red leafy algae?

G

gryphyn454

This started out on my live rock about a month ago. Originally thought it was a small flake of food. Anyone know what it is and if it is an algae, plant or seaweed?
Any help is appreciated!

flower

In my macroalgae book it looks like Halymenia Floridana...I think that is what it is. Google it for pictures and see.

meowzer

WELCOME TO SWF
It's a beautiful safe algae to have....BUT if I may make one suggestion....you need to work on getting rid of the hair algae before it smothers everything

G

gryphyn454

Yes it gorgeous I am not looking to get rid of but rather was curious as to what it really was. not long after I posted the pictures I found a picture on google that looked like it and it was a Halymenia SP. Orignally it was one large leaf now it has the "shredded" look and is still beautiful.

G

gryphyn454

The green hair is a LONG story Meowzer, I am actually recovering from a crash 3 months ago where my phosphates were sky high. I lost everything but my hermits and a Neon Velvet. Still running phosphate reactor and lighting to a minimum along with prunning during water changes to rid the hair and get the Phosphates lower. Mangroves are helping as well.

meowzer

Sorry to hear about your crash......I had to deal with HA once...OMG It was awful.....Took a long time of daily picking and extra tank maintenance to be free of it
Do you have any emerald crabs? or turbo snails? They helped me a lot
OH As did a seahare....GREAT for eating it, but after it is gone they will starve....so it might be nicer if you have a lfs or a reefclub to trade it with later

G

gryphyn454

nope no Emerald crabs, I do have a few turbo snails and a lawn mower blenny that has double in size over the last month.
I will have to look into a reef club. I ended up with several stone crabs as hitch hikers on some live rocks and now would like to send them packing. I am sure if there is a reef club around here someone will want them. thanks for help!