Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2006, 06:13 PM   #1
mwp
Moved On

Amphiprion allardi (African Allardi Clownfish) Breeding Log!

11-8-06 - Why not start another log right from the beginning?

In a nutshell, I had the opportunity to obtain a hand-picked pair of Allardi clowns through a LFS at a VERY reasonable price. Although this was not the ideal time, I couldn't pass it up. Originally I would've picked them up yesterday, but Alice eating a dozen chicken wings, tinfoil and celery had me dealing with the Vet instead (the pooch appears to be just fine by the way). So the pair got a 24-hour layover at Fish Planet in Deerfield before making it home today (it's nice when a trip back to the vet brings home more fish as well ) Steve simply picked what he felt where the best two on the smaller side (I didn't want full blown adults)...within that first 24 hours at Fish Planet they were already acting like a pair. I have to say, Steve has an AWESOME track record of helping me obtain broodstock when I'm looking...my TR Bangaii's, my Glass Cardinals, My first pair of mandarins...and now the Black OC's and Allardi's. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

So, for now, things are in a temporary situation, the new Allardi pair is sharing quarters with our other recently added pair of clownfish, the Black OCs. Whether this will work out long term or not remains to be seen...in fact the plan was specifically to NOT have two clownfish species sharing a tank, but since the cardinalfish 24 is still running a slight case of ICH that just won't go away, the Allardis and Black Ocellaris will have to sort it out for now.

So far, no aggression between the 4 clownfish, both pairs for the most part are sticking together. The Allardi are in exceptional good spirits, chowing down on Cyclopeze only minutes after addition to the tank. Having these gorgeous fish in my tanks now, I wonder how I ever lived with out them. Ultimately, I may end up with 4 pairs of clowns...the creative math tells me that our Onyx Percs can stay in their 24, the Allardi can ultimately go into the Cardinalfish tank, the Black OC's can take up residence in Renee's 6 gallon if need be, leaving room in the Seahorse tank for the Latz if and when I ever find them - the seahorse/mandarin #1 pair tank being ideal for latezonatus due to it's cooler running temperature, not to mention that the Latz will probably not be as aggressive as the Allardi in the long run.

So anyways, that's the madness for now...here's pics of our latest charges. Think I can get these spawning by February '07? It's a personal goal anyway...I like to push the envelope!

Allardi pair being acclimated

The newlyweds on their Honeymoon...little do they realize that it's at minimum an extended stay...

Somewhat typical of how the two pairs are acting for the most part since the introduction of the Allardi's this evening.

FWIW,

Matt

mwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2006, 09:46 PM   #2
danfrith
Registered Member

Not another breeding log. Well, as always, good luck with these. BTW, beautiful clownfish!!!!!

danfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2006, 11:51 PM   #3
mwp
Moved On

Danfirth, you better BELIEVE another breeding log. Hey, there's like 2 "failed" logs out there, one on my short lived flame project and my informal one on the Ecsenius graveri pair (which now resides in my buddy's tank...they re-paired with each other quite nicely after having to be separated here, and get this, his tank is SMALLER!)

February '07...I'll put the countdown at 4 months for now...it's beyond optimistic I think...

Matt

Unread 11/09/2006, 08:17 AM   #4
FishGuttz
Registered Member

beautiful stripes on those fish!

FishGuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2006, 06:27 PM   #5
danfrith
Registered Member

your not doin the flames anymore?

Unread 11/09/2006, 06:38 PM   #6
mwp
Moved On

This is a different tank than the flames. Check the flame thread for details. Nutshell, we only have a male flame now No "I told ya so's" cause I'm pretty sure she wasn't killed by her mate. Just unfortunate circumstances.

Matt

Unread 11/09/2006, 08:03 PM   #7
David M
Registered Member

Dang, lost one of the 20 or 30 fish you keep in your 24 gallon tank? Imagine that

JJ dude, but you know that everyone thinks your'e a lunatic

Current Tank Info: 125 Caribbean theme folr, 800 gallon breeding system w/ mostly clownfish.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2006, 10:08 PM   #8
SueQ
Registered Member

Those are beautiful!! I want some Can't wait to see your progress with these guys!

SueQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 01:14 AM   #9
mwp
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Dang, lost one of the 20 or 30 fish you keep in your 24 gallon tank? Imagine that

JJ dude, but you know that everyone thinks your'e a lunatic
- yup, that's me most days. All I can really say is here's today's water tests:

24 Gallon with 11 fish (Seahorses, Mandarins, Rusties and the 2 clown pairs) - 0.5 ppm.

24 Gallon with 12 fish (cardinals, mandarins, rsbs, gobies etc.) - 0.5 ppm.

24 Gallon with 6 fish (Perc Pair, flame, wrasse, jawfish and purple fire) - 20 ppm.

They all get weekly water changes, they all are basically stock nanocubes with live sand, only added airstones to the middle chamber and surface skimmers. Before the skimmers & airstones, we had a near total wipeout mid 2005 (almost lost our perc pair, lost several fish) that could only be explained as poor gas exchange based on water tests and the condition of the living (and dead) fish. People raise 50-100 clowns in a 10 gallon...why shouldn't I have a few dozen fish in a 24 gallon tank?

It's all about those weekly 5 gallon water changes....not nuts, just "experienced & advanced"

An interesting side note, it looks like our two pairs may be considering swapping partners, so they may have to be separated out sooner than initially expected!

Matt

Unread 11/10/2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Cuervo
Registered Member

lol your clownfish are swingers eh?

Cuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 09:41 AM   #11
mwp
Moved On

I can't say they're swinging for sure, but everyone once in a while the "pairs" seem to be swapping out. Late last night, I walked by the tank, and both pairs were as they should be, tightly hanging out with their mates, but during the day they seem pretty content to check each other out and interact. It may just be that they're still curious juvies vs. full blown pairs.

Matt

Unread 11/10/2006, 10:41 AM   #12
ediaz
Registered Member

I am gonna buy a blue ring octopus and pet it...

I'll just leave it blank
ediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 10:45 AM   #13
CanesDave
Registered Member

You should check out my cone snail species tank.

CanesDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 10:47 PM   #14
mwp
Moved On

I was wondering if this might happen. Guess the Black OC's will be the ones moving now, as our Allardi have really "upped" their pair bond in the last 24 hours and are now hosting sprodically in a pair of Rhodactis sanctithomae!

Matt

Unread 11/11/2006, 12:35 AM   #15
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

nice clowns! good luck with the breeding!

Unread 11/13/2006, 05:13 PM   #16
mwp
Moved On

Not much to say on the Black OC front, but since their introduction last week, the Allardi have really settled in well. The days of "interchanging mates" have past...at least I think so. Both pairs are sticking with their mates.

The Allardi have figured out that I use the cup-coral as a feeding dish for the mandarins and seahorses. The larger one came in with a slight case of malnourishment (slightly sunken in above the eyes along the spine)...that's starting to fill out and the gut on the big one, well, it's obvious that this fish has NO qualms about eating to satiation!

So that's the news...I've upped the temp on this tank a bit..looking for around 80F (screw the ponies, if they haven't spawned for me by now, I really could care less ). Trying to put some major growth onto these fish!

Matt

Unread 11/13/2006, 08:55 PM   #17
jallard
Registered Member

Good luck to you......with your Allardi's. I have had my 2 allardis for a bit now and love them! Feb of '07 is quite optimistic... your "pair" seems pretty young.

If it works out lemme know what your secrete is

URL removed per User Agreement

Current Tank Info: 34g Solana
jallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 10:05 PM   #18
danfrith
Registered Member

Anything can happen in matts tanks.

Unread 11/14/2006, 12:08 AM   #19
mwp
Moved On

Jallard, I KNOW Feb '07 is beyond optimistic - just dreaming for a while. They are getting simply PUMPED FULL of quality food at a good temp...they're gonna start putting on the pounds in no time if my plan works out. Maybe March '07 is more realistic?

Seriously, I have no clue when they'll breed. For that matter, I haven't really found any hard and fast information specific to Allardi, only general "Clarki-complex" info which is suggestive that mine could get to maturity a lot faster than, oh say my percs (which took about 1.5 years post-purchase)

FWIW,

Matt

Unread 11/14/2006, 12:25 PM   #20
mwp
Moved On

Just another quick update. The level of aggression is definitely increasing. Last night the pairs were paired up, hanging tight together all night....no mate swapping

Today, the larger allardi is definitely starting to "strut". It's making lots of tailbeats towards it's "mate", and has undertaken some head-to-head combat and circling with the larger Black Ocellaris, driving it back away from the cup coral feeding station.

It may only be a matter of time before I have to separate these two pairs.

Matt

Unread 12/05/2006, 11:26 AM   #21
mwp
Moved On

An update on the Allardi...it's been a couple weeks since I noted their behavior. Lately, it seems that during the day, the larger fish is pretty dominating over the smaller allardi (which also is the smallest clown in the tank). At night however, both the Black Ocellaris pair and the Allardi pair hang with their respective mates. So far, it seems that the presence of the Allardi has strengthened the Black OC pair bond, but conversely the Black OC's presence seems to have weakened the bond between the 2 Allardi...

HMM.

Matt

Unread 12/05/2006, 03:49 PM   #22
Kmiec123
Actual CMAS Member

Very cool clowns Matt, Just wondering if having two pair in a tank, even though different type, can prevent the small juvi to change into/take on male role or remain juvi, being it's the smallest of four. You know I don't know, Just askin'/thinkin' Best of luck..Carl

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 120 Gal #12348 W/ Dual overflow 48x24x24. Dual 400w MH with VHO atintic. Rod's sump design with old Euro reef skimmer Wife's tank 55 Gal w/cylone Bio-filter #cy194 w/ Sendra 3500 on Skimmer. Korella's for flow.
Kmiec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2006, 05:29 PM   #23
mwp
Moved On

Carl, you're actually thinking along the same lines I'm thinking....

Matt

Unread 12/05/2006, 06:04 PM   #24
Kmiec123
Actual CMAS Member

That really scares me

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 120 Gal #12348 W/ Dual overflow 48x24x24. Dual 400w MH with VHO atintic. Rod's sump design with old Euro reef skimmer Wife's tank 55 Gal w/cylone Bio-filter #cy194 w/ Sendra 3500 on Skimmer. Korella's for flow.
Kmiec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2006, 10:41 PM   #25
vaporize
Registered Member

oh wow, Congrats Matt, you are doing great with all these unusual clowns breeding, keep it going.

vaporize is offline   Reply With Quote