Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Terryz_
Registered Member

Smile Experiences with Chaetodon burgessi

Hi... Anybody have experiences with Burgess Butterfly aka Chaetodon burgessi...
Mainly from Philippines, Indonesia and Maldives...

So far i have only seen one specimen in Singapore... So was wondering if they are shipped oversea by the supplier...

Cant get much information about them...

Thanks...

Terryz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2006, 02:33 PM   #2
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Supposed to be reefsafe, but this guy is not. In the "tinkeri" family. Deep water butterfly. Not aggressive and pretty hardy. Eats just about anything. I think he is rated as a 4 out of 5 to keep in the butteryfly and angelfish book.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
Supposed to be reefsafe, but this guy is not. In the "tinkeri" family. Deep water butterfly. Not aggressive and pretty hardy. Eats just about anything. I think he is rated as a 4 out of 5 to keep in the butteryfly and angelfish book.

Is the one is the photo yours?
So i guess only the mitratus butterfly is reefsafe? Sigh...
4/5 difficulty?
Keeping softies only... Is it okay?

Unread 07/26/2006, 01:02 PM   #4
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Yeah, that is mine. I don't have it in a reef so I can't tell you. It was returned by a guy who had it in a reef and it started picking on corals. From what I have heard and read it is NOT common for this family of butterfly's to pick on corals. They are supposed to be the most reef safe. 5 being easiest, 1 being most difficult.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 09:07 PM   #5
jmicky41
Registered Member

I have a Mitratus and it ate all the tube and feather worms, all the vermitid snails, all the collunista snails, and many of the pods. It also picks at the turbos and astreas. As for corals, I don't know - I don't keep them.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
Yeah, that is mine. I don't have it in a reef so I can't tell you. It was returned by a guy who had it in a reef and it started picking on corals. From what I have heard and read it is NOT common for this family of butterfly's to pick on corals. They are supposed to be the most reef safe. 5 being easiest, 1 being most difficult.
Perhaps region or size plays a part...
I just received a call from my LFS that they managed to get two <3inch specimen... Could be a pair as they are quite peaceful with each other... Will get one of them this monday and see if they are reef-safe before i proceed to buy the second one...

Unread 07/29/2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmicky41
I have a Mitratus and it ate all the tube and feather worms, all the vermitid snails, all the collunista snails, and many of the pods. It also picks at the turbos and astreas. As for corals, I don't know - I don't keep them.
It picks on the snail? This is something new... I all along thought they are planktivore... From what i gathered, they are quite reef-safe... But the price for them here is really off my budget...

Unread 07/30/2006, 01:11 PM   #8
jmicky41
Registered Member

It sure does. Everytime I buy snails, it nips at their eyes and antennae. I think this causes the snails to stay withdrawn and starve. One time I saw it tearing apart a snail that was on it's back. Maybe mine is just hungry as it has always refused most prepared foods. It won't eat flakes, pellets and most frozen mixes.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Terryz_
Perhaps region or size plays a part...
I just received a call from my LFS that they managed to get two <3inch specimen... Could be a pair as they are quite peaceful with each other... Will get one of them this monday and see if they are reef-safe before i proceed to buy the second one...
The smaller died in the LFS the 3rd day when the bigger burgess was sold the day before...
I didnt even got a chance to see it...
Is it becos it is a pair? Too much pf a coincidence? Both are eating very heavily and lively...