Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2016, 02:35 PM   #1
4runner
Registered Member

Macrodactyla doreensis (LTA) Diary

I've recently been bitten by the reef bug after a long layoff (we never really leave do we?). After helping a friend move, I found myself with a pre-drilled reef ready 37 gallon tall tank with stand. I immediately decided to dedicate this to a sand dwelling anemone. My choices were: Stychodactyla haddoni (my first choice), Macrodactyla doreensis, and Heteractis malu (the reasonable choice for this tank size).

Tank stats:
37 gallon tall
5 inch deep sand bed
~15 lbs of live rock
Eshopps RS-75 Reef Sump
SC Aquariums SCA-301 Protein Skimmer
ViparSpectra 165W LED
HOB Refugium filled with Chaetomorpha algae
Carbon and Phosphate remover in the sump

Before I continue, I must confess that I did not follow the recommended "6 month wait until you get an anemone" rule. I consider myself an experienced aquarist (although technology has changed tremendously in the few years I've been absent), and have kept various fresh and saltwater tanks for the past 30 years. I want this diary to be a learning experience not only for myself, but others as well.

Why did I add the anemone so soon? Honestly it was an impulse buy. I went through all of the pros and cons in my head, drove around for a bit, and came back and bought it. Mistake? Perhaps, only time will tell. However, I’m going to try my best to keep this anemone healthy and thriving. For anyone thinking of breaking the 6 month rule that is not an experienced aquarist, please do A LOT of research. I scoured the internet for the past couple of months on any and all info pertaining to the species I desired to keep.

My tank did not undergo a cycle as I used live rock transferred from an existing aquarium. My sandbed was also seeded with sand from the same aquarium in which I got the live rock. I put a small clean up crew of 4 hermits and 5 nassarius snails a week after setup. Weeks 2 and 3 I added an Orchid Dottyback, and various small frags. The 4th week of my tank being setup, I added the anemone.

I've been documenting in writing, pictures, and video every day since I've had it, which I'll share with you below:

Wednesday 4/27/16,
Purchased the anemone from Petco. It had a bright, red foot and appeared very healthy. I drip acclimated it for 1 hour before placing it into the tank. It floated around for a bit so I turned off the powerheads. I wedged it in between some rocks to keep it in place. It opened up and appears to be healthy. Its mouth was slightly opened and not gaping.

Drip acclimating:

Pinned between live rock:

Day 1 Reflection: It was pretty scary seeing how easily the anemone floated and could’ve possibly been sucked into a powerhead. I quickly scoured the internet for topics on getting an LTA to dig into a sandbed. I was dismayed at how many times I read of people giving up on their LTAs because they would not dig into the sandbed. I was fortunate it stayed pinned and apparently liked the place I put it.

I'll continue the journal entries in subsequent posts. Also, any advice on embedding youtube videos?

4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 03:04 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

They need a relatively deep sand bed. Deeper than Haddoni. I think they do best in 3+ inches sand bed. Low current and high light.

My Red M doreensis in my refugium since I don't have room for him in my DT at this time.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 05:44 PM   #3
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

Hey runner, I as well just bought an LTA, tank is roughly five months old now and while I am relatively new to the hobby, I keep up on all my maintenance and regularly check my water params which is why I also decided to try one. To be honest, LFS told me it was a different species, minh cleared it up and recommended the deeper sandbed. I took out some live rock in an area of the tank, built up the substrate, replaced the live rock, and fooled around with the water flow. He seemed to like a bit lower water flow when he was looking for a spot. So happy to see this thread, hopefully you don't mind me posting here and there with some pics. On a side note, I find it unbelieveable the wrong information LFS give out, especially the two in my area. I learned a valuable lesson but am looking forward to the challenge of having this guy thrive.

Sweitz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 06:59 PM   #4
4runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Incredibly, awesome Red LTA!
That LTA is incredible OrionN!

Unread 05/02/2016, 07:01 PM   #5
4runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweitz1972 View Post
So happy to see this thread, hopefully you don't mind me posting here and there with some pics. On a side note, I find it unbelieveable the wrong information LFS give out, especially the two in my area. I learned a valuable lesson but am looking forward to the challenge of having this guy thrive.
By all means, please post! Lets make this an LTA thread so we can share with others who love this incredible species.

Unread 05/02/2016, 07:03 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
That LTA is incredible OrionN!
Thanks. San anemones like LTA have relatiely large column and foot in porportion to the oral plate.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/02/2016, 07:20 PM   #7
4runner
Registered Member

Day 1 in my tank pinned between some live rock.

Unread 05/02/2016, 10:15 PM   #8
4runner
Registered Member

Day 2: 4/28/16,
It has remained in place in the rock structure. Tentacles appear stubbier than yesterday though the anemone has opened fully. Some waste was excreted and removed. A pair of Blood Orange Clownfish were added.

Morning before lights on (my hob refugium lights turn on first)

Excreted waste: I was concerned it was zooxanthellae.

Day 2 Reflection:Another impulse buy with adding the Blood Orange Clownfish. I was planning on getting them the same day as the LTA, but thought that I would give the nem a chance to settle in on its own for a day. The foot is no longer visible.

Unread 05/02/2016, 10:46 PM   #9
4runner
Registered Member

Days 3-5

Reflection: The anemone has stayed in place and fully dug itself into the 5 inch sand bed. This is a strong animal. Warning, be sure your rock work is sturdy. I was fortunate that it didn't hurt itself as a large piece of rock came tumbling down. It has accepted mysis shrimp. The clowns haven't started their symbiotic relationship with the anemone yet.

Anemone starting the digging process:

Rock displacement:

Rockwork rearranged:

Unread 05/02/2016, 10:51 PM   #10
4runner
Registered Member

Day 6: 5/2/16

The female clownfish has started the process of bonding with the anemone! She hovers close to it, letting the tentacles gently brush her tail. Hopefully I'll come home from work tomorrow and see them swimming in its tentacles!

Unread 05/03/2016, 12:32 AM   #11
Raintree
Registered Member

Beautiful! Looks really healthy

Raintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 04:41 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

looking really good. All settle in.

Unread 05/03/2016, 06:39 AM   #13
CorbinSawyer
Registered Member

Beautiful

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CorbinSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 09:10 PM   #14
4runner
Registered Member

Thanks y'all! I decided to do some tank maintenance today. I did a small water change, switched out the filter sock in my sump, and harvested some chaetomorph algae. It's amazing how quickly this stuff grows. In 2 weeks time my hob refugium went from 1/3rds full to completely full! I have it setup with an underwater led underneath the mass, and an led fixture shining from above it. It's working out really well.

Refugium Day 1:

Refugium 2 Weeks Later:

Harvested chaeto:

It's hard to see perspective on the chaeto, but it's about 2 good handful's worth. My nitrate has also dropped from 10 to 5 in a weeks time. All's well with the anemone, but the clowns are still just flirting with it.

Unread 05/06/2016, 01:47 PM   #15
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

Hey guys, so I've had my LTA for almost a week now, and he still hasn't settled. Seems to find a spot and stay there for a day and a half, then picks up and moves. He has done this twice. All my parameters are in check, the one test I don't have is for magnesium.

My tank is a 55 gallon, 20 inch tall, 48 inch long, 12 inches wide tank. I have a T5 hood with two 48 inch bulbs, one white and one blue. I have roughly 70 lbs of live rock. My livestock is three firefish, about 12 snails and 12 hermit crabs, one yellow coris wrasse, one Halloween urchin, and two juvenile black ocelarris clowns. I also have a frag of GSP and a zoa frag for about a month which looks healthy and thriving.

I am leaning towards my lighting isn't good enough. There is a store in my area that makes your own customized LED hoods. So before I order these LED's, I want to make sure everyone agrees its the lighting. If I do order these LED's, just tell him make it full spectrum, but with how much watts should they be? I am also going to try Minh's suggestion this weekend and use a flower pot filled with sand for the anemone. i tried clearing out an area and building up the substrate to about four inches, but still no luck. Another thought ive had is the substrate i am using is a crushed aragonite, is that too coarse and they prefer a finer sand?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Unread 05/06/2016, 03:43 PM   #16
4runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
Hi Swietz1972, although my experience is limited to a little over a week, maybe my advice can be a little help to you.

Lighting: any chance you can add another 2 bulb t5 fixture? With 4 bulbs, it should be enough, and perhaps a cheaper solution instead of the leds.

Substrate: I would do the finer grade sand (sugar oolite) in the flowerpot. Also give its column some security by surrounding it with live rock (although the flowerpot edges might also provide that security). Mine seems comfortable being partially surrounded by live rock.

Good luck with it! Share pics and keep us updated.

Unread 05/06/2016, 04:01 PM   #17
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

Hey runner, I could do another T5 fixture, or would just one LED fixture say 8 inches wide and 48 inches long be my optimal lighting. My LFS has steered me in so many different directions, I'm done with them and just taking the advice from peeps on RC. I'll implement the flower pot experiment tomorrow, any suggestions on how to do it? Pot three quarters full, start a hole etc.? Definitely get some pics going. A couple times that the Nem has looked happy he has been a beautiful dark purple with lighter purple tips. Hopefully I can figure out his happy place

Unread 05/06/2016, 10:38 PM   #18
4runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey runner, I could do another T5 fixture, or would just one LED fixture say 8 inches wide and 48 inches long be my optimal lighting. My LFS has steered me in so many different directions, I'm done with them and just taking the advice from peeps on RC. I'll implement the flower pot experiment tomorrow, any suggestions on how to do it? Pot three quarters full, start a hole etc.? Definitely get some pics going. A couple times that the Nem has looked happy he has been a beautiful dark purple with lighter purple tips. Hopefully I can figure out his happy place
I don't think you can go wrong with either lighting setup. I agree that your current setup needs to be improved, whether that be through additional t5s or the new led system, they both should eliminate light as one of the factors that has caused your anemone not to settle.

As far as the pot, I would fill it up to 5 inches, make a depression in the sand, and use some rock to gently pin it in place. Turn off your powerbeads at this time, or put it in a place in your tank that has low flow until it digs in.

Here's mine on day 10!

Unread 05/08/2016, 07:18 AM   #19
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

Very nice runner. Well I was going to attempt the flower pot experiment, but the Nem looked as tho he was digging so I left him for another day. When I woke up he was anchored at the base of some live rock where I prepped the sand bed. Tentacles aren't as nicely spread out as yours, and a lot of his tentacles lay flat on the sand bed or hug the live rock. Hopefully he is starting to feel comfortable. Any feedback or thoughts on his appearance is appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160508_091102.jpg (80.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Sweitz1972; 05/08/2016 at 07:28 AM.
Unread 05/08/2016, 11:36 AM   #20
4runner
Registered Member

Looks like it's settling in, looks good!

Unread 05/08/2016, 11:47 AM   #21
OrionN
Moved on

He looks good. Now just good water, light and feeding. Best of luck

Unread 05/13/2016, 07:32 PM   #22
4runner
Registered Member

Quick video after being in my care for a little over 2 weeks. It has settled in nicely. I feed it a small amount of mysis every 3 days (whenever my fish get it), and my LEDs are currently at 40% blue/35% white (still slowly ramping it up). Everything else is doing really well: my Duncans are growing a new head, my Xenia are threatening to take over the whole tank, and my Green Star Polyps are losing their nice Christmas tree shape because of new growth.

Unread 05/14/2016, 03:42 PM   #23
garygb
Registered Member

LTA looks great 4runner. Glad you have the refugium with the chaeto as a method to decrease the nitrate. LTAs don't like nitrate to be at all high.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 09:03 AM   #24
4runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygb View Post
LTA looks great 4runner. Glad you have the refugium with the chaeto as a method to decrease the nitrate. LTAs don't like nitrate to be at all high.
Thanks garygb! I'm going to test parameters again today, because the LTA moved! I don't know whether to be concerned or excited. It didn't uproot and float to a new place, but physically moved through the sand a few inches away. It's now in an area of greater flow, but not directly under the LEDs. I did up the white by 5 percent so maybe that is one of the factors.

Here's a pic where you can see the foot through the 5 inches of sand:

Unread 05/16/2016, 06:24 PM   #25
4runner
Registered Member

I tested all parameters and am proud to announce that Phosphates and Nitrates are undetectable! Calcium and Alkalinity are a little low, but I'm not going to trip about it since I don't have any sps in the tank. I am dripping in kalkwasser now however.

Here's how it looks now:

Close up of verrucae:

I actually like its new spot. I love how I can see its column through the sand, and its collar and verrucae. I've got more room in the tank now too!