Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Jacob D
Registered Member

Halichoeres hortulanus

Anyone keep this wrasse? I realize they get fairly large I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them in a reef and if so have they caused any problems?

The other thing I'm curious about is the color variation I've seen. Is this a juv/adult change, male/female, variations by locale? Live Aquaria states that they become silver and black as adults.

Philippines

PNG

Indian Ocean

Indonesia

Fiji (possibly)

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2010, 06:05 PM   #2
skibum9884
Registered Member

Sign me up for a Papua New Guinea specimen if it's a geographical difference in color.

I bet that happens to be a terminal male, however.

Current Tank: Elos System 70, 17 gal ADA Rimless in Progress
skibum9884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2010, 06:13 PM   #3
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Yeah, commonly sold around here as checkerboard wrasse, white and yellow coloring. I had no idea they can get so pretty!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Jacob D
Registered Member

The fish in the PNG shot and the Indonesia shot are both striking. I figured the same, probably terminal males. I would take either in a heartbeat... depending on their demeanor at that size. They would probably be close to a foot long ($5 footlong! yeah! probably not )

Unread 10/17/2010, 06:19 PM   #5
curlykid
Registered Member

i believe this to be just like any other haleo wrasse, eats snails, shrimp, etc. and still eats all the bad pests. I want that New Guinea, you know where they supply them?

Unread 10/17/2010, 06:19 PM   #6
tcmfish
Registered Member

I prefer the whiter variations. This has always been one of my favorite wrasses. I prefer the whiter ones because so many similar wrasses are green, pink, and blue, but not many have that white and black pattern. Very cool fish. I'd be leery of shrimp in a reef with it, but I doubt corals would be on the menu, maybe someone with first hand experience could comment.

tcmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Jacob D
Registered Member

Tim, that's true... but still! I do hear ya though. The first shot from the Philippines is a nice compromise. Reminds me of a pair of vans I had in the early 90's with neon checkerboard. Possibly a transitioning male.

I am a little concerned about the shrimp being eaten... but it might be a livable compromise. Have you kept this fish at any time? I have a Vrolik's wrasse and was considering adding one of these.

Unread 10/17/2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Recty
Registered Member

I've had a checkerboard wrasse, it was a great fish. Mine was about 4" long and had the coloration of the picture you posted from Live Aquaria. At most it grew an inch while in my care and the coloration never changed... I'm not sure at what size they start getting the terminal male coloration but I'd suspect it's above 8" if they grow to a foot long in total size.

Mine was with two cleaner shrimp and never bothered them, the shrimp were established before the wrasse was introduced. I QT'd the wrasse with a 3" purple tang, I actually have a video of it on YouTube somewhere, just search for quarantine checkerboard wrasse and you can find it. I might even have two videos on there of the QT, and maybe one of my full tank videos still has the wrasse in it too.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2010, 06:40 PM   #9
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

very nice coloration variant of a checker board wrasse and they will slowly eat your CUC even if you feed the tank well . they usually wont really hurt "eat" your corals but they are very boisterous flipping them looking for critters on the underside of them . they are semi-aggressive but if you have other semi-aggressive fish in the tank they will usually be good citizens for years to come .
i would suggest that you make sure if they move corals that they can't get aggressive corals on top of ones they will sting and kill .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Luiz Rocha
Salty Dog

There is a color difference between Indian and Pacific oceans (and a small genetic difference too, I am investigating that), but PNG should be the same color as Philippines and Fiji. I think the fish from the PNG looks more colorful just because either the photo was processed more (easy to do in the age of digital photography), or because the fish was in some kind of dispute with another wrasse.

They do get very large and swim A LOT on the reef, I think they have one of the largest home ranges of any Halichoeres and can swim hundreds of yards searching for food in a single day.

Luiz Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Jacob D
Registered Member

Thanks for the insight Luiz. Interesting about the genetic difference between the Indian and Pacific ocean variants. The Indian Ocean version does look a little different in shape, at least from the photo above. Wet Web Media mentions that the Indian Ocean variant is more colorful.

BTW, I agree with you that the PNG photo looks a little over saturated.

Unread 10/18/2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Jacob D
Registered Member

Off topic... Here are a couple other interesting Halichoeres I came across while searching for info on the hortulanus. Has anyone ever seen either of these in the trade?

H. melantonis (from Clipperton among other places)

H dimidiatus (Atlantic Ocean)

Unread 10/18/2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Luiz Rocha
Salty Dog

I never saw H. melanotis in the trade, they are not nearly as pretty when they become adults and that may be why. As far as H. dimidiatus goes, it used to be common in the trade, but Brazil passed a new law forbidding the export of all of it's endemic fishes (and this is one of them). However, it is very similar to the Caribbean H. cyanocephalus, which is easy to find.

Luiz Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote