Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2008, 02:02 PM   #1
sugartooth
Reef bully

Questions for those who have a group of odontanthias bourbonnais

Hello. I would like to ask those of you who have kept these anthias for a while now.

Do you notice increased aggression as their fins develop? I'm only guessing that the development or elongation of the dorsal fins is a sign of maturity?

I think if this is true, they become extemely aggressive as these develop. I have had to separate the bully of 3, and now separate the remaining two because I have reason to believe one is picking off my fish in QT/holding.

I have a 90 gallon holding/QT tank. In is a pair of Rubimarginatus and 4 parvistrosis. Over the last 2 weeks one parvistrosis died. Then another, quite suddenly.

Now I find one borb very pale and looking beat up. I moved that one out today into a tub.

They have all been together for approx. 6 months with no additions or changes. Only the fins starting to elongate on the borbs.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. The fins/ray I'm seeing develop are the 3rd from left. The one that has an orange tip. The other ray that has gotten very long is the 12th one from left, it's the first all yellow and in the pic seems to fold over towards the head.

DSC_6183

Does this mean I can only keep one in a 750? I was going to put them all in as a group after it cycles.

Thanks in advance for the help.

sugartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2008, 05:25 PM   #2
sugartooth
Reef bully

Push.

Do I need a better pic? Basically I'm seeing darkening of colors, and the fins I mentioned above are getting longer and longer.

Are these guys pretty mean as adults? Seems like they are not shy at all. I separated the last two and put beat up one with a Blonde Naso 4-5X his size. The anthia throws out all of his fins and angles toward the Naso every time Naso goes up to bully him.

sugartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Chibils
halide loyalist

Holanthias borbonius can be pretty mean. Never kept them, so I can't really comment. But I'm pretty sure they don't shoal in the normal sense that anthias do.

Current Tank Info: 75G new world cichlid, 25G reef in planning
Chibils is offline   Reply With Quote