PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE check out your intended fish purchases here first!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Sk8r
08/05/2008, 11:51 AM
Give us your size of tank, and type of water treatment (filter/live rock, sump y/n?) and tell us what you propose to buy--- But I have just read two really sad posts from people whose lfs sold them impossible-to-keep-alive creatures that are sadly dead or dying right this moment.
We can't answer without info, so describe your system (best yet, fill in those questions in My Profile under My RC, and give detail the way us old hands do)---and we'll be ever so glad to tell you whether your fish will have a good life in your tank.

This thread has been split. You can see the original thread here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445390

snorvich
09/05/2011, 08:05 PM
i have a 40B with a 20L sump with about 50 pounds of BRS reef saver rock and was thinking of adding 2 clownfish, a coral beauty, purple dottyback, and a yellow prawn goby would my tank size be good to keep these?

A purple dottyback unless it is P. fridmani, is very aggressive; your bioload should be fine, but depending on the species of clownfish, they may take over your tank once sexually mature

snorvich
09/05/2011, 08:12 PM
is a court jester goby ok to be added to my 55 fowlr with a blue/green chromis, neon blue damsel, royal gramma, starry blenny, valentini puffer and clown goby? there is plenty of caves and crevices in my aquascape. i really like the coloration with this fish. thanks in advance You have some aggressive fish in a relatively small tank. The valentini puffer and the damsel are likely to be aggressive. I cannot say don't add the court jester but there may be problems

FishAddict87
09/05/2011, 09:47 PM
for some reason this puffer seems to think hes in a world of its own and doesnt bother any fish or the cuc. i think the only problem would be my damsel which i wouldnt mind trying to catch and giving to someone. after i added a clown goby a few weeks ago they seemed to leave the little guy alone. i cant bare to see a fish get abused after i add it so i might wait till the damsel is removed. thanks for the advice

matt_wahoo
09/06/2011, 08:15 AM
20L main tank with 1.5" live sand, 13lbs base rock, 10lbs tonga live rock, 24" 4x24 t5 lights, 1 koralia evo 550
10g sump/fuge with 2.5" live sand, 3lbs live rock rubble, chaeto algae, 5 mangrove seeds, clamp on hd light with grow bulb, rio 3100 return pump, cooling fan.

I am planning on a mixed reef tank my live stock ideas are:
FISH: Pair of tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish and possibly a small goby or blenny (any suggestions?)
CORALS: Montipora Cap, montipora digi, mushrooms, zoas, open brain, hammer, blue ridge coral(helipora coerulea), rose stylophora coral, cadmium pocillapora. All corals will be aquacultured and these are just a few of my ideas
CLEAN UP CREW: Not sure yet need some help with this.

FUTURE EQUIPTMENT: ATO, Skimmer, heater, and ???

Any thoughts and ideas would greatly help me!
Thanks for your time!

snorvich
09/06/2011, 08:50 AM
20L main tank with 1.5" live sand, 13lbs base rock, 10lbs tonga live rock, 24" 4x24 t5 lights, 1 koralia evo 550
10g sump/fuge with 2.5" live sand, 3lbs live rock rubble, chaeto algae, 5 mangrove seeds, clamp on hd light with grow bulb, rio 3100 return pump, cooling fan.

I am planning on a mixed reef tank my live stock ideas are:
FISH: Pair of tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish and possibly a small goby or blenny (any suggestions?)
CORALS: Montipora Cap, montipora digi, mushrooms, zoas, open brain, hammer, blue ridge coral(helipora coerulea), rose stylophora coral, cadmium pocillapora. All corals will be aquacultured and these are just a few of my ideas
CLEAN UP CREW: Not sure yet need some help with this.

FUTURE EQUIPTMENT: ATO, Skimmer, heater, and ???

Any thoughts and ideas would greatly help me!
Thanks for your time!

Well, I pretty much like what you are planning. I would avoid hermit crabs and have a variety of snails and perhaps one fighting conch. Lots of opportunity for interesting invertebrates. I would go with a skimmer addition, and depending on your room temperature, might avoid a heater.

matt_wahoo
09/06/2011, 09:17 AM
I wasnt planning on any hermits they only cause trouble. The skimmer will be my next purchase. Money is a little tight with being back in school and the VA hasnt kicked in with my GI Bill payments yet. I am in south florida and right now the tank stays about 78-79* with a small fan blowing in the sump. During the winter the house will be in the
60's when fronts come through. So with the small tank I dont want the water to fluxuate to much. This is what reefkeepers.org says for my tank
18 dwarf ceriths
7 nassarius
11 florida ceriths
4 large nerites
4 small-med nerites
and possibly a few Dwarf Planaxis
should I tweak that at all?

snorvich
09/06/2011, 11:05 AM
I wasnt planning on any hermits they only cause trouble.

Yes, for sure. Like killing your snails to see if they like their shells.

The skimmer will be my next purchase. Money is a little tight with being back in school and the VA hasnt kicked in with my GI Bill payments yet. I am in south florida and right now the tank stays about 78-79* with a small fan blowing in the sump.

I keep all of my tanks at 76 F; sixties might be a bit too low.

During the winter the house will be in the
60's when fronts come through. So with the small tank I dont want the water to fluxuate to much. This is what reefkeepers.org says for my tank
18 dwarf ceriths
7 nassarius
11 florida ceriths
4 large nerites
4 small-med nerites
and possibly a few Dwarf Planaxis
should I tweak that at all?

Sounds pretty good to me.

izzy123
09/06/2011, 11:07 AM
hello,

I have a 40G breeder with a 25G sump a RATZ skimmer (rated for 250G tanks!)

added my snails (two kinds, don't know the names anymore....) after 3 months
After 4 months I added a pair of clowns (occelaris)
and after 5 months one Centropyge Bispinosus ( sorry, don't know the English name )

And since two weeks some hammer coral and an anemone

I was wondering how many gobys can I put in my 40G ?( LOVE those little guys)

I really like Gobiodon okinawae , but could I get two of them?
And maybe some suggestions of other goby's

Oh, I also want to get a pair of fire shrimp:

Thank you

Ivan

snorvich
09/06/2011, 11:24 AM
hello,

I have a 40G breeder with a 25G sump a RATZ skimmer (rated for 250G tanks!)

added my snails (two kinds, don't know the names anymore....) after 3 months
After 4 months I added a pair of clowns (occelaris)
and after 5 months one Centropyge Bispinosus ( sorry, don't know the English name )

I prefer the proper name since that is how I learned the fish names

And since two weeks some hammer coral and an anemone

I was wondering how many gobys can I put in my 40G ?( LOVE those little guys)

I really like Gobiodon okinawae , but could I get two of them?

I think one or two would be fine.

And maybe some suggestions of other goby's

Oh, I also want to get a pair of fire shrimp:

I have a pair; gorgeous but will not clean clowns.

Thank you

Ivan

wavemaker81
09/06/2011, 08:41 PM
Steve,

I have a 75 reef tank that houses a pair of tomato clownfish that have been in the tank for about 2 months. I am looking to add a bristletooth tang to the tank, but I am worried about the tomato's harassing the tang. Will there be issues? Should I remove the tomato's now vs. waiting it out to see what happens?

snorvich
09/06/2011, 08:45 PM
Steve,

I have a 75 reef tank that houses a pair of tomato clownfish that have been in the tank for about 2 months. I am looking to add a bristletooth tang to the tank, but I am worried about the tomato's harassing the tang. Will there be issues? Should I remove the tomato's now vs. waiting it out to see what happens?

Unfortunately your clowns, once sexually mature, will want to control about 50 gallons of your tank. They are one of the more aggressive species. I cannot predict how badly they will eventually act with regard to your tang, which is one of the more docile of the tangs.

wavemaker81
09/06/2011, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately your clowns, once sexually mature, will want to control about 50 gallons of your tank. They are one of the more aggressive species. I cannot predict how badly they will eventually act with regard to your tang, which is one of the more docile of the tangs.

Sounds like my tomatos will be exiting my tank and be swapped out for a pair of false perculas. Thanks Steve

snorvich
09/07/2011, 04:51 AM
Sounds like my tomatos will be exiting my tank and be swapped out for a pair of false perculas. Thanks Steve

My pleasure. You will get better results with that species.

A_Z
09/07/2011, 05:34 PM
What is the real tank size for an Emperor Angel? why does Live Aquaria say 220 and Bluezoo 100?

I ask because I am thinking of going with a bigger tank with these dimensions

72 x 18 x 22 and a 30g sump.

snorvich
09/07/2011, 06:34 PM
What is the real tank size for an Emperor Angel? why does Live Aquaria say 220 and Bluezoo 100?

I ask because I am thinking of going with a bigger tank with these dimensions

72 x 18 x 22 and a 30g sump.

Live Aquaria's minimum is better. I have one in my 350 gallon and it is about the right size. A 100 gallon minimum is somewhat absurd (sorry)

A_Z
09/07/2011, 06:41 PM
Live Aquaria's minimum is better. I have one in my 350 gallon and it is about the right size. A 100 gallon minimum is somewhat absurd (sorry)

Thanks for the reply. Although a beautiful fish I think that is a bit too large for me. I think I will stick with my 55 and look into dwarf angels.

snorvich
09/07/2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. Although a beautiful fish I think that is a bit too large for me. I think I will stick with my 55 and look into dwarf angels.

Well, if it were me, I would watch for one of the incredibly colored flame angels. Simply amazing coloration.

A_Z
09/07/2011, 06:57 PM
Well, if it were me, I would watch for one of the incredibly colored flame angels. Simply amazing coloration.

Flame angels are actually the ones I had in mind :D
I really love the Hawaii and Vanuatu specimens.

Since this is my first SW I think this revised list for a 55 w/10g sump is much better for a beginner than my first expensive moderate care list. (stocked in this order)

Royal Gramma (too shy?)
Blue/Green Chromis
Occ Clown
Midas Blenny
Flame Angel

Hands
09/07/2011, 11:40 PM
I just moved a 120 gallon tank into my place. I have never owned a goldfish in my life, but decided that it was time to own a fish or 4.. I have been as diligent as I can in doing all the research that I can. But I think it's time that I put my plan out there and get torn apart by the wolves. So..

120 gallon; 55 gallon sump; life reef (self claimed 250g) skimmer, seems to be working quite well though; 140lb live rock, about 70lb of which is in the sump; 2" coarse sand bed; 3 - 250w MH, with 2 actinics.

The tank is currently coming off a cycle caused by the tank move. Things are coming along nicely though. There are several mushrooms remaining in the tank, along with some frogspawn, 2 3" Phymanthus, 1 recovering sps, and the newest addition.. a small algae bloom(currently being worked on a by a meager clean up crew.

My fish wish list is as follows..

Bubble Tip Anemone
Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (pair)
Chevron Tang
Tomini Tang
Sailfin Tang
Mandarin Drogonette
Randall's Pistol Shrimp
Black-Rayed Shrimp Goby (perhaps a pair, with there symbiotic pistol shrimp)
Coral Banded Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Schooling Bannerfish (A small school)

I plan on doing mixed reef, soft, hard...anemone ... :)

I won't likely do all three Tang.. but I certainly like the chevron and tomini.

Go easy on me. Try to crush my dreams gently.

Thanks..

snorvich
09/08/2011, 05:11 AM
I just moved a 120 gallon tank into my place. I have never owned a goldfish in my life, but decided that it was time to own a fish or 4.. I have been as diligent as I can in doing all the research that I can. But I think it's time that I put my plan out there and get torn apart by the wolves. So..

120 gallon; 55 gallon sump; life reef (self claimed 250g) skimmer, seems to be working quite well though; 140lb live rock, about 70lb of which is in the sump; 2" coarse sand bed; 3 - 250w MH, with 2 actinics.

The tank is currently coming off a cycle caused by the tank move. Things are coming along nicely though. There are several mushrooms remaining in the tank, along with some frogspawn, 2 3" Phymanthus, 1 recovering sps, and the newest addition.. a small algae bloom(currently being worked on a by a meager clean up crew.

My fish wish list is as follows..

Bubble Tip Anemone Later, assuming you have good lights
Chevron Tang fine, I love this fish
Tomini Tang ok, but two tangs is max
Sailfin Tang not fine, three is a crowd in this sized tank
Mandarin Drogonette at least six months down the line
Randall's Pistol Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp no, they take fish
Schooling Bannerfish (A small school) not in your sized tank, they are too large

Instead of the "school", think some some fish

I plan on doing mixed reef, soft, hard...anemone ... :)

I won't likely do all three Tang.. but I certainly like the chevron and tomini.

Go easy on me. Try to crush my dreams gently. Easy enough for you?

Thanks..

joaovieira
09/08/2011, 11:53 AM
My reef tank (6 months age) has 187 gallons has skimmer; SUMP;Live rock and sand; 2 X 250 W HQI; 2 X T5; No Refuge.

Actual habitants:
4 cleaner shrimps
3 hemits (2 blue legs; 1 red leg)

Corals, mainly LPS one montpora

SO , here goes my WISHING LIST: My priorities while doing the list were. beauty, resistance to parasites and avoiding jumpy fishes since i dont have a cover.

1) 2 clown fishes
2) 2 out of these 3 Wrasses (red head fairy, carpenter, yellowfin flash are my favourite)
3) 1 Flame hawckfish or green mandarin ? (please help me deciding; i would prefer mandarim for its beauty but i guess its very time consuming, they need particular attention for feeding everyday, right?)
4) Schooling of lyretail anthias (6 females?) or green chromis (5?)
5) Schooling bannerfish (3 fishes?)
6) 1 Trigerfish (Pinktail /Niger /Sargassum/Blue chin)
7) Filefish
8) 1 Tang - A Japonicus
9) Blennies ? Gobies ? any suggestion ?

Do you think i still have bioload for 1 more tang ? If yes, please suggest me one.

Thank you very much. Please dont destroy that much my wishing list...

snorvich
09/08/2011, 02:37 PM
My reef tank (6 months age) has 187 gallons has skimmer; SUMP;Live rock and sand; 2 X 250 W HQI; 2 X T5; No Refuge.

Actual habitants:
4 cleaner shrimps
3 hemits (2 blue legs; 1 red leg)

Corals, mainly LPS one montpora

SO , here goes my WISHING LIST: My priorities while doing the list were. beauty, resistance to parasites and avoiding jumpy fishes since i dont have a cover.

1) 2 clown fishes
2) 2 out of these 3 Wrasses (red head fairy, carpenter, yellowfin flash are my favourite) I would avoid C. solorensis as it can become aggressive towards other fairy/flasher wrasses
3) 1 Flame hawckfish Will eat your shrimp

or green mandarin ? (please help me deciding; i would prefer mandarim for its beauty but i guess its very time consuming, they need particular attention for feeding everyday, right?) With a refugium and a mature tank (six months) in your sized tank, you should be fine
4) Schooling of lyretail anthias (6 females?) or green chromis (5?) Chromis will reduce down to one or at most two
5) Schooling bannerfish (3 fishes?)
6) 1 Trigerfish (Pinktail /Niger /Sargassum/Blue chin) I would not put a trigger as it will eat your cleanup crew
7) Filefish
8) 1 Tang - A Japonicus
9) Blennies ? Gobies ? any suggestion ?

Do you think i still have bioload for 1 more tang ? If yes, please suggest me one. A chevron tang would go well

Thank you very much. Please dont destroy that much my wishing list...

joaovieira
09/08/2011, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately i dont have a refuge so i am afraid mandarim may be a problem regarding feeding habits. Do you think is it still possible to have one (i was thinking buying one eating prepared food...) ?

Thanks for all help.

Hands
09/08/2011, 03:24 PM
Thank you,
I still have some of my dreams intact.
But to revise and retry then:

Bubble Tip Anemone I am running 3 - 250w MH, I assume that is sufficient lighting over a 6' tank.
Chevron Tang
Tomini Tang
Mandarin Drogonette I have the opportunity to get one that was in this same tank previous to me buying and moving it .. It is also eating pellet food -- which I gather is a best case scenario
Randall's Pistol Shrimp
Schooling Bannerfish Would 3 of these be suitable in 120g with the other fish already mentioned?

Thank you for the clarity.
Travis

snorvich
09/08/2011, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately i dont have a refuge so i am afraid mandarim may be a problem regarding feeding habits. Do you think is it still possible to have one (i was thinking buying one eating prepared food...) ?

Thanks for all help.

I still think it would work. Just give it seven months. Eating prepared food is irrelevant as that would not sustain it.

snorvich
09/08/2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you,
I still have some of my dreams intact.
But to revise and retry then:

Bubble Tip Anemone I am running 3 - 250w MH, I assume that is sufficient lighting over a 6' tank.

Should be fine

Chevron Tang
Tomini Tang
Mandarin Drogonette I have the opportunity to get one that was in this same tank previous to me buying and moving it .. It is also eating pellet food -- which I gather is a best case scenario

Eating pellet food is nice but not sufficient. A 120 gallon mature tank should be fine

Randall's Pistol Shrimp
Schooling Bannerfish Would 3 of these be suitable in 120g with the other fish already mentioned?

Well, with your two tangs, that is five largish fish. The tank will look crowded

Thank you for the clarity.
Travis

mcfa2403
09/08/2011, 10:43 PM
Ok so this will be my third tank but by far my largest (first was 75g and second was 28g). This will be mostly an lps/sps tank with 180g tank and 100g sump. I plan to take this tank slow and want to make sure this is well thought out. That said please weigh in on these fish. I am not afraid of criticism so let me know if its too many fish or wrong species for this tank.

Tangs: 1 orange shoulder, 1 powder blue tang (I am aware of the difficulty), 1 convict tang (or 1 more oarnge shoulder), 1 tomini tang
------the first three would be added together
Anthias: 3 squarespot anthias (1 male, 2 female)

Angels: 1 multicolor centropyge

Dragonet: 1 mandarin

Wrasse: 1 fairy wrasse (one of the smaller species reccomendations welcome)

Other fish considered: semilarvatus butterfly, 4 bangai cardinals

Borchers
09/08/2011, 11:10 PM
Here I go.
120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump and slow flow Fuge.
140 lbs LR and 30 pounds rubble in Fuge. 110 pounds combined Sand in system
Euroreef CS-160 with Dolphin pump. Rated at 300 gallons
250 MH x2 minis, 110 watts VHOx2, 24 3 watt cree led. Royal blues.
ATO, MP40, 4#4's and a squid return system. ACJr. On all.

Tank is 2 months out and 2 weeks past cycle.

So much info on tank to show what I'm packing.
In the tank now
- Acanthurus bahianus......gift from a friend
1 chromi
1 unknown tang. Very beautiful. Looks.like a bristle tooth.

Wish list.
Purple Tang
2 fairy Wrasse possibly mated pair of Rhomboids
Pair ORA snowflakes
Blood Shrimp and skunk cleaner
1 blue spot jaw fish
Mandarin Goby.

snorvich
09/09/2011, 05:15 AM
Ok so this will be my third tank but by far my largest (first was 75g and second was 28g). This will be mostly an lps/sps tank with 180g tank and 100g sump. I plan to take this tank slow and want to make sure this is well thought out. That said please weigh in on these fish. I am not afraid of criticism so let me know if its too many fish or wrong species for this tank.

Tangs: 1 orange shoulder, 1 powder blue tang (I am aware of the difficulty), 1 convict tang (or 1 more oarnge shoulder), 1 tomini tang
------the first three would be added together
Anthias: 3 squarespot anthias (1 male, 2 female)

Angels: 1 multicolor centropyge
A great fish, but NOT LPS safe
Dragonet: 1 mandarin If you wait six months yhou will be fine

Wrasse: 1 fairy wrasse (one of the smaller species reccomendations welcome)

Other fish considered: semilarvatus butterfly, 4 bangai cardinals

A semilarvatus is gorgeous but not reef safe; bangaii cardinals are limited to a bonded pair and four will become two

snorvich
09/09/2011, 05:18 AM
Here I go.
120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump and slow flow Fuge.
140 lbs LR and 30 pounds rubble in Fuge. 110 pounds combined Sand in system
Euroreef CS-160 with Dolphin pump. Rated at 300 gallons
250 MH x2 minis, 110 watts VHOx2, 24 3 watt cree led. Royal blues.
ATO, MP40, 4#4's and a squid return system. ACJr. On all.

Tank is 2 months out and 2 weeks past cycle.

So much info on tank to show what I'm packing.
In the tank now
- Acanthurus bahianus......gift from a friend
1 chromi
1 unknown tang. Very beautiful. Looks.like a bristle tooth.

Wish list.
Purple Tang Very aggressive with other tangs especially in a smallish tank; I would recommend against a third tang
2 fairy Wrasse possibly mated pair of Rhomboids excellent choice
Pair ORA snowflakes
Blood Shrimp and skunk cleaner
1 blue spot jaw fish Must have sand and prefers a cooler temperature like 74/75; prolific jumper
Mandarin Goby.

jamesbaur13
09/09/2011, 08:51 PM
Updated, AGAIN!

So far I have this in the display...

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (juvenile 1-1.5")

- An Adolescent Chevron 3.5-4" long (I realize I added him early, couldn't pass him up... at the fish store he was friendly with tank mates, ate well, very active, disease free). At first he would occasionally charge at the clowns (clowns physically look perfect... no ripped fins or scales missing), but the frequency of him charging has dropped. I think he was being territorial about food and I think some of it is a dominance thing, but I think it's mostly that he doesn't like anyone getting too close and picking at his rocks. Love this fish BTW... TY for pointing Chevrons out to me.

In the QT...

- 3 Bartlett's Anthias at the moment (just got them today). They are eating mysis and pellets. All female and juvenile (1-1.5" long).

I am hoping to add the following...

- 3 Flasher Wrasses (thinking Blue)
- Blue Reef Chromis
- Royal Gramma Basslett

And here's where I'm thinking the potential conflicts come in...

- Starry Blenny
- Yellow Tang

Any idea if this would work and better yet how to go about doing it?

I'm thinking an adolescent Yellow Tang might be best due to the aggression issues that are seeming to be more probable due to the Chevron having an established territory. After 3 days the Chevron seemed to be at his height of aggression towards my clowns. At that time I placed a mirror along the side of the tank. Not sure if it co-incidence, but his aggression seemed to tone down after fighting himself in the mirror for a couple hrs. I'm thinking he will be confrontational to another tang, but I also think if the other tang can stand up to him they can co-exist.

I have no strategy for the Blenny.

Thanks Again.

snorvich
09/10/2011, 05:15 AM
Updated, AGAIN!

So far I have this in the display...

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (juvenile 1-1.5")

- An Adolescent Chevron 3.5-4" long (I realize I added him early, couldn't pass him up... at the fish store he was friendly with tank mates, ate well, very active, disease free). At first he would occasionally charge at the clowns (clowns physically look perfect... no ripped fins or scales missing), but the frequency of him charging has dropped. I think he was being territorial about food and I think some of it is a dominance thing, but I think it's mostly that he doesn't like anyone getting too close and picking at his rocks. Love this fish BTW... TY for pointing Chevrons out to me.

Yes, that is my absolute favorite tang; you did well to get him while he was available. Very personable fish

In the QT...

- 3 Bartlett's Anthias at the moment (just got them today). They are eating mysis and pellets. All female and juvenile (1-1.5" long).

I am hoping to add the following...

- 3 Flasher Wrasses (thinking Blue) I like all of them. Ideally a harem of MFF would be terrific. Blue is less common
- Blue Reef Chromis
- Royal Gramma Basslett

And here's where I'm thinking the potential conflicts come in...

- Starry Blenny A herbivore so I would wait a good while before adding
- Yellow Tang I would not as you have a tank that is ideal for one tang, marginal for two

Any idea if this would work and better yet how to go about doing it?

I'm thinking an adolescent Yellow Tang might be best due to the aggression issues that are seeming to be more probable due to the Chevron having an established territory. After 3 days the Chevron seemed to be at his height of aggression towards my clowns. At that time I placed a mirror along the side of the tank. Not sure if it co-incidence, but his aggression seemed to tone down after fighting himself in the mirror for a couple hrs. I'm thinking he will be confrontational to another tang, but I also think if the other tang can stand up to him they can co-exist.

Again, I would not. Why create an aggressive situation?

I have no strategy for the Blenny.

Thanks Again.

mitsurs01
09/10/2011, 10:50 AM
Wish list for my new 125gal with 30 gal sump FOWLR alsmost ready for setup- waiting for just a bit of plumbing

Niger Trigger
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns
Narrow Lined Puffer
3 Kaudern's Cardinals

NinjaPirate
09/10/2011, 12:57 PM
I've got a 55G cycling right now, working out a fishlist for when it's ready to go. Prior to this tank I've only had aggressive fowlr's and small single-species tanks (Mantis shrimp) so my knowledge on reef fish is somewhat limited.

Tank is a 55G (no fuge, hob skimmer, 1-1.5" live sand heavy rockwork, 80+lb best estimate) coral will be mostly softies (zoa/shroom) and LPS. Tank is covered, so jumpers are okay.

Possibles:
1x dwarf angel, flame or Coral Beauty, not sure on the coral nippiness.
2x false percs (not sure I want to put up with the aggression)

Would Likes:
Flasher Wrasse, either single or group. Carpenter/McCosker's appeal to me.
1x Goby/pistol pair - Would like to keep a plate at some point, so I don't want a pair that's going to be constantly digging the whole tank up. Thinking a YWG maybe, just not sure on how active they are with the digging and whether or not I have enough sand.

Other fish that interest me:
Firefish
Neon Goby
Royal Gramma

So I guess the options I'm considering at the moment would be 1x dwarf, 2x clown, 1x wrasse, 1x Goby pair.

Or lose either the dwarf or clowns for other small reef fishes.

vs

3x (MFF) wrasse, 1x goby pair, + 1 or 2 unknown additional smaller fish such as firefish/RG.

Would these work?
Thanks.

snorvich
09/10/2011, 02:39 PM
Wish list for my new 125gal with 30 gal sump FOWLR alsmost ready for setup- waiting for just a bit of plumbing

Niger Trigger
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns
Narrow Lined Puffer
3 Kaudern's Cardinals

You have some very aggressive fish: GSM clowns, a trigger and a puffer that will reach one foot. I do not suggest those fish in a 125 gallon tank. Your three Kaudern's cardinals will become two at best

snorvich
09/10/2011, 02:42 PM
I've got a 55G cycling right now, working out a fishlist for when it's ready to go. Prior to this tank I've only had aggressive fowlr's and small single-species tanks (Mantis shrimp) so my knowledge on reef fish is somewhat limited.

Tank is a 55G (no fuge, hob skimmer, 1-1.5" live sand heavy rockwork, 80+lb best estimate) coral will be mostly softies (zoa/shroom) and LPS. Tank is covered, so jumpers are okay.

Possibles:
1x dwarf angel, flame or Coral Beauty, not sure on the coral nippiness. These are not LPS safe
2x false percs (not sure I want to put up with the aggression) They will control 25-30 gallons once sexually mature and breeding

Would Likes:
Flasher Wrasse, either single or group. Carpenter/McCosker's appeal to me.

Excellent choice
1x Goby/pistol pair - Would like to keep a plate at some point, so I don't want a pair that's going to be constantly digging the whole tank up. Thinking a YWG maybe, just not sure on how active they are with the digging and whether or not I have enough sand.

It seems that all of these goby/shrimp combination are always digging

Other fish that interest me:
Firefish
Neon Goby
Royal Gramma
All three are excellent BUT the firefish will not be compatible with a flasher wrasse
So I guess the options I'm considering at the moment would be 1x dwarf, 2x clown, 1x wrasse, 1x Goby pair.

Or lose either the dwarf or clowns for other small reef fishes.

vs

3x (MFF) wrasse, 1x goby pair, + 1 or 2 unknown additional smaller fish such as firefish/RG.

Firefish and flasher wrasses will not work. Sorry

Would these work?
Thanks.

J2T
09/10/2011, 08:58 PM
Ok, I have a compatibility question since I get differing opinions at the LFS ;)

Current residents:
2 Occ Clowns
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Algae Blenny
2 blue/green chromis

Inverts: Cucumber, (2) pep shrimps, serpent star, ruby mithrax, hermits and various snails

I plan on getting a tiger pistol and either Yellow Watchman or Randal's goby pair (I go back and forth on which one seemingly on an hourly basis lol).

With that being said I would also like to add a sandsifting goby if possible. I have heard they should be ok since they sort of do different things but others have said differently. If its a touchy situation that could go either way I would rather not put any fish through unneeded stress. Any species that might be a bit tame as the diamond's I have seen at the LFS seem pretty spastic for lack of a better word.

thanks again for any advice.

snorvich
09/11/2011, 05:25 AM
Ok, I have a compatibility question since I get differing opinions at the LFS ;)

Current residents:
2 Occ Clowns
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Algae Blenny
2 blue/green chromis

Inverts: Cucumber, (2) pep shrimps, serpent star, ruby mithrax, hermits and various snails

I plan on getting a tiger pistol and either Yellow Watchman or Randal's goby pair (I go back and forth on which one seemingly on an hourly basis lol).

With that being said I would also like to add a sandsifting goby if possible. I have heard they should be ok since they sort of do different things but others have said differently. If its a touchy situation that could go either way I would rather not put any fish through unneeded stress. Any species that might be a bit tame as the diamond's I have seen at the LFS seem pretty spastic for lack of a better word.

thanks again for any advice.

I would not do both. If it were my choice, I would get a goby/pistol shrimp and NOT the sand sifting goby. First of all, sand sifters make a mess, secondly they deplete your sand bed of beneficial organisms.

stings
09/11/2011, 05:47 AM
im setting up a 40 gallon breeder i got from petco. its going to be conected to my 40 gallon reefs sump, the sump is a 55. im going to have both tank using the same sump.

fish list:
2 Kaudern's Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons)
1 Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)

invertebrates list:
15 hermit crabs
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
2 Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

J2T
09/11/2011, 06:18 AM
I would not do both. If it were my choice, I would get a goby/pistol shrimp and NOT the sand sifting goby. First of all, sand sifters make a mess, secondly they deplete your sand bed of beneficial organisms.

Thanks again, decision made :)

snorvich
09/11/2011, 09:28 AM
im setting up a 40 gallon breeder i got from petco. its going to be conected to my 40 gallon reefs sump, the sump is a 55. im going to have both tank using the same sump.

fish list:
2 Kaudern's Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni) must be M + F
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons) Be sure your tank is covered
1 Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)

invertebrates list:
15 hermit crabs I strongly favor snails over crabs
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
2 Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) Needs excellent lighting and mature tank

Ferguson1977
09/11/2011, 12:29 PM
I am 2 1/2 months into my 65G tank. It cycled in a month and I added a Semi Snowflake Clown. He was the only occupant for 1 month when I added a Kole Tang. Last Wedneday I added a Swissguard Basslet and a Blue Spot Jawfish on Friday!

I am done adding fish for awhile but still like to browse and plan the next additions. The next things I want is a school of fish (3) and a fish that perches on the live rock. For the schooling fish, I am thinking Anthias or reef sale Wrasses. Which would be the better choice to be housed with my Blue Spot and Swissguard as they are timid fish? I would be selecting from the more peaceful species of each.

As far as the rock perching fish, what's the favorites as far as color, beauty and behavoir goes?

snorvich
09/11/2011, 01:46 PM
I am 2 1/2 months into my 65G tank. It cycled in a month and I added a Semi Snowflake Clown. He was the only occupant for 1 month when I added a Kole Tang. Last Wedneday I added a Swissguard Basslet and a Blue Spot Jawfish on Friday!

Remember that BSJ are prolific jumpers and do best with cooler temperature (74/75 F)

I am done adding fish for awhile but still like to browse and plan the next additions. The next things I want is a school of fish (3) and a fish that perches on the live rock. For the schooling fish, I am thinking Anthias or reef sale Wrasses.

Well neither will really "school" but the anthias come closest and these really need a larger tank for more than one

Which would be the better choice to be housed with my Blue Spot and Swissguard as they are timid fish? I would be selecting from the more peaceful species of each.

As far as the rock perching fish, what's the favorites as far as color, beauty and behavoir goes?

Well if you do not have shrimp, various hawkfish would work

bjolly
09/11/2011, 02:58 PM
this is not for my current tank, but am thinking of what i would like to do in a few years when I can get a larger tank (am thinking of a 90 gal) & would appreciate some thoughts.

flame angel or cherub angel
atlantic longnose butterfly or yellow longnose butterfly
small group (3) of anthias - what variety would work?
red sea mimic blenny
yellowheaded jawfish
green chromis
flasher wrasse
longfin fairy wrasse
yellow assessor
a few small gobies (maybe a blue neon, a greenbanded and a yellow clown goby)

snorvich
09/11/2011, 03:38 PM
this is not for my current tank, but am thinking of what i would like to do in a few years when I can get a larger tank (am thinking of a 90 gal) & would appreciate some thoughts.

flame angel or cherub angel not reef safe
atlantic longnose butterfly or yellow longnose butterfly excellent
small group (3) of anthias - what variety would work? you really need a larger tank for a group, perhaps 125 (carberryi and resplendants are excellent)
red sea mimic blenny
yellowheaded jawfish
green chromis
flasher wrasse
longfin fairy wrasse aggressive, pick another species
yellow assessor
a few small gobies (maybe a blue neon, a greenbanded and a yellow clown goby)

Ferguson1977
09/11/2011, 05:48 PM
Well if you do not have shrimp, various hawkfish would work

Thanks for the input. I run my tank at 77 to 78 degrees so hopefully my BSJ will be happy. My tank is a Red Sea Max 250 so the lid it closed and tight so hopefully I don't have to worry about jumping.

I wouldn't mind a longnose hawk but they are red/white just like my Swissguard

And I was worried my tank isn't big enough for some schooling anthias but was hoping :)

stings
09/11/2011, 06:20 PM
the reef has been running for around a year and the 40 breeder im going to use was my frag tank. i have a 4 bulb t5 light over the tank.

AmberL
09/11/2011, 06:21 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with live rock, sump, and protein skimmer.
I have acquired a Goldrim Tang. He's beautiful and I want to keep him.

snorvich
09/11/2011, 08:00 PM
the reef has been running for around a year and the 40 breeder im going to use was my frag tank. i have a 4 bulb t5 light over the tank.

In that case, should be fine

snorvich
09/11/2011, 08:02 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with live rock, sump, and protein skimmer.
I have acquired a Goldrim Tang. He's beautiful and I want to keep him.

They are considered difficult. Is there a question?

tfrechette
09/11/2011, 08:18 PM
I'm going from a 57 gallon to a 120. Presently in the 57 I have a clown (false?), bicolor dottyback and flameback angel. They get along fine. Both tanks are reef with sumps.

Going to the 120 I'm thinking I would bring the dottyback back to the LFS; he's somewhat territorial and I don't want problems adding other fish.

So I'm thinking of the following along with my clown and flameback:
a Kole tang (Would a yellow tang and this guy get along?)
Blue green chromis (live aquaria suggests these in a group)
Foxface? (problem with the tang?)
What about a cardinal fish?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

-Tom

snorvich
09/12/2011, 05:30 AM
I'm going from a 57 gallon to a 120. Presently in the 57 I have a clown (false?), bicolor dottyback and flameback angel. They get along fine. Both tanks are reef with sumps.

Going to the 120 I'm thinking I would bring the dottyback back to the LFS; he's somewhat territorial and I don't want problems adding other fish.

So I'm thinking of the following along with my clown and flameback:
a Kole tang (Would a yellow tang and this guy get along?) The Kole is fine, I would not do two tangs
Blue green chromis (live aquaria suggests these in a group) These will winnow down to one
Foxface? (problem with the tang?) Well, probably ok with the kole, too many large fish if you do two tangs
What about a cardinal fish? No problem but if Bangaii must be a pair
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

-Tom

tfrechette
09/12/2011, 06:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. Curious why you said a blue green chromis group will winnow down to 1.

-Tom

snorvich
09/12/2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. Curious why you said a blue green chromis group will winnow down to 1.

-Tom

It seems as if they always do. Rare exceptions.

Ferguson1977
09/12/2011, 11:08 AM
I am done adding fish for awhile but still like to browse and plan the next additions. The next things I want is a school of fish (3) and a fish that perches on the live rock. For the schooling fish, I am thinking Anthias or reef sale Wrasses.

Well neither will really "school" but the anthias come closest and these really need a larger tank for more than one

What would be a good trio of fish that would school, be peaceful and reef safe? No damsels!

snorvich
09/12/2011, 12:00 PM
What would be a good trio of fish that would school, be peaceful and reef safe? No damsels!

No fish will truly "school" in hobbyist sized aquaria. In a large enough tank (at least 125 gallons) anthias will shoal as will others such as zebra dartfish. Please read the post below.

snorvich
09/12/2011, 12:02 PM
Since this issue comes up so frequently on Reef Central, some additional information might be useful. An aggregation of fish is the general term for any collection of fish that have gathered together in some locality. Fish aggregations can be structured or unstructured. An unstructured aggregation might be a group of mixed species and sizes that have gathered randomly near some local resource, such as food or nesting sites.

If, in addition, the aggregation comes together in an interactive, social way, they are said to be shoaling. Although shoaling fish can relate to each other in a loose way, with each fish swimming and foraging somewhat independently, they are nonetheless aware of the other members of the group as shown by the way they adjust behavior such as swimming, so as to remain close to the other fish in the group. Shoaling groups can include fish of disparate sizes and can including mixed-species subgroups.

If, as a further addition, the shoal becomes more tightly organized, with the fish synchronizing their swimming so they all move at the same speed and in the same direction, then the fish are said to be schooling. Schooling fish are usually of the same species and the same age/size. Fish schools move with the individual members precisely spaced from each other. The schools undertake complicated maneuvers, as though the schools as a whole have minds of their own.

Shoaling is a special case of aggregating, and schooling is a special case of shoaling. While schooling and shoaling mean different things within biology, they are often treated as synonyms by non-specialists, with speakers of British English tending to use "shoaling" to describe any grouping of fish, while speakers of American English tend to use "schooling" just as loosely.[1] The intricacies of schooling are far from fully understood, especially the swimming and feeding energetics. Many hypotheses to explain the function of schooling have been suggested, such as better orientation, synchronized hunting, predator confusion and reduced risk of being found. Schooling also has disadvantages, such as excretion buildup in the breathing media and oxygen and food depletion. The way the fish array in the school probably gives energy saving advantages, though this is controversial.

Fish can be obligate or facultative shoalers. Obligate shoalers, such as tunas, herrings and anchovy, spend all of their time shoaling or schooling, and become agitated if separated from the group. Facultative shoalers, such as Atlantic cod, saiths and some carangids, shoal only some of the time, perhaps for reproductive purposes.

Shoaling fish can shift into a disciplined and coordinated school, then shift back to an amorphous shoal within seconds. Such shifts are triggered by changes of activity from feeding, resting, traveling or avoiding predators.

Ferguson1977
09/12/2011, 05:24 PM
Very informative read, thanks!

USA203
09/12/2011, 08:21 PM
40 Gallon Tank. Skimmer, Nexx cannister filter, T5 lights, 40+ lbs live rock, live sand. Going to add 17-20 gallon sump very soon. Has been cycled about a month now.

Want to have some mushrooms and soft coral.

What about.... (not necessarily in order of purchase)....

1 Clown (not sure which kind yet, suggestions?)
1 Firefish goby
1 Algae Blenny (or other blenny maybe?)
1 Serpent Starfish
1 cleaner shrimp

If above does not already have the tank maxed out I'd like to add 1 more "front and center" not shy, colorful fish for the family/kids to watch :) I prefer the funky fish/inverts you have to watch the tank awhile to even see but it's a "family tank" so, compromise! I like watchmen goby but...too shy? What else might work?

For CUC, which I already have, I have the Reefcleaners quick crew for 40 gallons--all snails, no crabs (and I don't want to add any). I think the CUC is pretty good.

35+ Dwarf Ceriths
14 Nassarius
14 Florida Ceriths
8 Large & 10 Small to Medium Nerites -
2 turbo snails
2 zebra turbos

snorvich
09/12/2011, 08:37 PM
40 Gallon Tank. Skimmer, Nexx cannister filter, T5 lights, 40+ lbs live rock, live sand. Going to add 17-20 gallon sump very soon. Has been cycled about a month now.

Want to have some mushrooms and soft coral.

What about.... (not necessarily in order of purchase)....

1 Clown (not sure which kind yet, suggestions?) Avoid a pair, A. percula is nice
1 Firefish goby Be sure this is added first and let it settle in
1 Algae Blenny (or other blenny maybe?)
1 Serpent Starfish Be careful, I seem to recall it can take fish
1 cleaner shrimp Or a pair

If above does not already have the tank maxed out I'd like to add 1 more "front and center" not shy, colorful fish for the family/kids to watch :) I prefer the funky fish/inverts you have to watch the tank awhile to even see but it's a "family tank" so, compromise! I like watchmen goby but...too shy? What else might work?

A watchman goby and pistol shrimp should do fine

For CUC, which I already have, I have the Reefcleaners quick crew for 40 gallons--all snails, no crabs (and I don't want to add any). I think the CUC is pretty good. I do too. No crabs!

35+ Dwarf Ceriths
14 Nassarius
14 Florida Ceriths
8 Large & 10 Small to Medium Nerites -
2 turbo snails
2 zebra turbos

BioFreak
09/13/2011, 06:18 AM
Hey Snorvich,

What do you think about this:

I have a 240 gallon 96"x24"x24" tank coming soon that I will be upgrading into. My current tank is a 55 gallon Reef.

Fish Stocking Plan
=================================
Current Fish in Existing tank
2:Maroon Clown (Mated Pair) - Premnas biaculeatus (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/images/MaroonClownfishWMB_Ap8SCl.jpg)
1: Pajama Cardinal - Sphaeramia nematoptera (http://www.ryanphotographic.com/images/JPEGS/Sphaeramia%20nematoptera%20Coral%20cardinalfish%20-%20Fiji.jpg)
1:Yellow Watchman Goby - Cryptocentrus cinctus (http://www.poppe-images.com/photo/collection/960000/thumb/967938.jpg)
1:Lawnmower Blenny - Salarias fasciatus (http://www.ibluewater.com/uploads/2/8/0/2/2802779/810546_orig.jpg)
1: Pygmy Angel - Centropyge argi (http://www.centropyge.net/images/1795_Centropyge_argiAQ.jpg)
1:Christmas Wrasse - Halichoeres ornatissimus (http://media.photobucket.com/image/Halichoeres%20ornatissimus/Domboski40/christmas.jpg)
New Fish
4:Chalk Basslet - Serranus tortugarum (http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bocas_database/images/especies/Serranus_tortugarum.jpg)
1:Flagfin Angel - Apolemichthys trimaculatus (http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/images/a2405_lg.jpg)
1:Flame Angel - Centropyge loriculus (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SPvMtIlohoI/AAAAAAAAJcc/4Di15rwzbko/s400/Centropyge+loriculus.jpg)
1:Rusty Angel - Centropyge ferrugatus (http://nate.exoticaquatic.com/RustyAngelfish.jpg)
1: Potters Angel - Centropyge potteri (http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3305/centropygepotteri.jpg)
2:Flame Hawkfish - Neocirrhitus armatus (http://saltwater.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Hawkfish/FlameHawkfish3.jpg)
1:Clown Tang - Acanthurus lineatus (http://www.zeovit.com/miscpics/tang_clown001.jpg)
1:Sailfin Tang - Zebrasoma veliferum (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/images/SailfinWMTaP1165.jpg)
1: Puple Tang - Zebrasoma xanthurum (http://www.ehab.ch/tiere/Zebrasoma%20Xanthurum.jpg)
1:Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus var. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39901-tang.jpg)
1:Bristletooth Tomini Tang - Ctenochaetus tominiensis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cas_docents/3201161672/)
1:Court Jester Goby - Amblygobius rainfordi (http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/data/501/medium/Amblygobius_rainfordi.jpg)
6:Orange Lined Cardinalfish - Apogon cyanosoma (http://www.divegallery.com/cardinalfish.jpg)
10:Blue Reef Chromis - Chromis cyaneus (http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-70119-chromis.jpg)

The existing tank is going to become a refuge for the new one. I will also be running a 55 gallons in the sump with a Reef Octopus NWB250 which is rated for 312-390 gallons. So, total gallonage of the system will be 350 gallons. And no I will not be adding all of these fish at once. I plan to slowly add them in one at a time, except for the schooling fish in which I will probably add 3-4 at a time.

snorvich
09/13/2011, 07:00 AM
Hey Snorvich,

What do you think about this:

I have a 240 gallon 96"x24"x24" tank coming soon that I will be upgrading into. My current tank is a 55 gallon Reef.

Fish Stocking Plan
Current Fish in Existing tank
2:Maroon Clown (Mated Pair) - Premnas biaculeatus (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/images/MaroonClownfishWMB_Ap8SCl.jpg) Very aggressive and will take over about 50 gallons of tank space
1: Pajama Cardinal - Sphaeramia nematoptera (http://www.ryanphotographic.com/images/JPEGS/Sphaeramia%20nematoptera%20Coral%20cardinalfish%20-%20Fiji.jpg)
1:Yellow Watchman Goby - Cryptocentrus cinctus (http://www.poppe-images.com/photo/collection/960000/thumb/967938.jpg)
1:Lawnmower Blenny - Salarias fasciatus (http://www.ibluewater.com/uploads/2/8/0/2/2802779/810546_orig.jpg)
1: Pygmy Angel - Centropyge argi (http://www.centropyge.net/images/1795_Centropyge_argiAQ.jpg)
1:Christmas Wrasse - Halichoeres ornatissimus (http://media.photobucket.com/image/Halichoeres%20ornatissimus/Domboski40/christmas.jpg)
New Fish
4:Chalk Basslet - Serranus tortugarum (http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bocas_database/images/especies/Serranus_tortugarum.jpg)
1:Flagfin Angel - Apolemichthys trimaculatus (http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/images/a2405_lg.jpg)
1:Flame Angel - Centropyge loriculus (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SPvMtIlohoI/AAAAAAAAJcc/4Di15rwzbko/s400/Centropyge+loriculus.jpg)
1:Rusty Angel - Centropyge ferrugatus (http://nate.exoticaquatic.com/RustyAngelfish.jpg)
1: Potters Angel - Centropyge potteri (http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3305/centropygepotteri.jpg) One of the more difficult pygmy angels
2:Flame Hawkfish - Neocirrhitus armatus (http://saltwater.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Hawkfish/FlameHawkfish3.jpg) I think these must be paired if more than one; not shrimp safe for sure
1:Clown Tang - Acanthurus lineatus (http://www.zeovit.com/miscpics /tang_clown001.jpg) I definitely recommend NOT doing this fish; they are problematical and very aggressive
1:Sailfin Tang - Zebrasoma veliferum (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/images/SailfinWMTaP1165.jpg)
1: Puple Tang - Zebrasoma xanthurum (http://www.ehab.ch/tiere/Zebrasoma%20Xanthurum.jpg)
1:Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus var. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39901-tang.jpg)
1:Bristletooth Tomini Tang - Ctenochaetus tominiensis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cas_docents/3201161672/)
1:Court Jester Goby - Amblygobius rainfordi (http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/data/501/medium/Amblygobius_rainfordi.jpg)
6:Orange Lined Cardinalfish - Apogon cyanosoma (http://www.divegallery.com/cardinalfish.jpg) They will initially shoal, but in the long term pair off
10:Blue Reef Chromis - Chromis cyaneus (http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-70119-chromis.jpg)

More often than not, they fish winnow down to one or two

The existing tank is going to become a refuge for the new one. I will also be running a 55 gallons in the sump with a Reef Octopus NWB250 which is rated for 312-390 gallons. So, total gallonage of the system will be 350 gallons. And no I will not be adding all of these fish at once. I plan to slowly add them in one at a time, except for the schooling fish in which I will probably add 3-4 at a time.

That is a LOT of fish for a 240 gallon tank, many of which are largish. As I have that tank (and a 350), I think the tank will look crowded. I assume FOWLR as many of these fish are not "reef safe"

deathmatch782
09/13/2011, 07:28 AM
120g w/ a 75g sump and 120 lbs lr
sps dominated mixed reef

chevron tang x1
purple tang x1
blue/yellow assessor x3
yasha haze goby x2
clownfish x2
midas blenny x1

snorvich
09/13/2011, 01:11 PM
120g w/ a 75g sump and 120 lbs lr
sps dominated mixed reef

chevron tang x1 Excellent
purple tang x1
blue/yellow assessor x3
yasha haze goby x2
clownfish x2
midas blenny x1

In general, I think it will be fine

sassyfrassy
09/13/2011, 06:53 PM
I'm trying something a little different in my 65g - trying to grow macro algae. I currently have a pair of clown fish (1-1 1/2") and a green & a citron goby. I want to stick to fairly small fish b/c it's just 36" wide. I like gobies - especially the green ones. Could I have 3-4 of them together? Along w/ watchman, and a rainbow goby? They'd be cute scurrying among the rocks & algae. Also I want 2 Blue Grudgeon gobies. For upper level swimmers I was thinking about 2 flasher wrasses. And later - much later - after all fish are in, a gold midas blenny. I realize this may be a heavy biological load, but w/ fuge (chaeto & red mangroves) and the algae in DT figured it'd be OK. I have lots of snails & pretty many small hermits.

Thanks for suggestions.

snorvich
09/13/2011, 07:09 PM
I'm trying something a little different in my 65g - trying to grow macro algae. I currently have a pair of clown fish (1-1 1/2") and a green & a citron goby. I want to stick to fairly small fish b/c it's just 36" wide. I like gobies - especially the green ones. Could I have 3-4 of them together? Along w/ watchman, and a rainbow goby? They'd be cute scurrying among the rocks & algae. Also I want 2 Blue Grudgeon gobies. For upper level swimmers I was thinking about 2 flasher wrasses. And later - much later - after all fish are in, a gold midas blenny. I realize this may be a heavy biological load, but w/ fuge (chaeto & red mangroves) and the algae in DT figured it'd be OK. I have lots of snails & pretty many small hermits.

Thanks for suggestions.

Although I personally have multiple large tanks, I too favor small fish. In general, I like your strategy but it is difficult to evaluate interactions of that many conspecifics.

sassyfrassy
09/13/2011, 07:24 PM
Another question if you can answer: Will my already grown green ( 1") & Citron (1 1/2") gobies beat up new, probably smaller additions to their own species? My Citron & Green don't pay each other any attention, but my Citron stays in the water column or stuck to glass more & green is hopping all around rock work. They have both been in tank for almost 2 years.

BTW thanks for hanging out on this thread and helping - few others seem to want to.

streetsong
09/13/2011, 08:32 PM
I posted a fish list about 1 month ago, but it has changed due to some further research I have done:
76 gal. half-circle
Lighting: AI Sol blue LED's- 2 modules.
Sump- 30 gal.
Filtration- 80 lbs. live rock, 70 lbs of aragonite sand, filter floss, carbon
Skimmer- Reef Octopus 6 (rated for tanks up to 150 gal.)
Clean-up crew- "Reef cleaners" snails
Tank plans: All sps corals

Fish list:
1 Foxface Lo
2 Percula Clowns
1 Blue-green Chromis
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Kole Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Royal Gramma

I appreciate your expertise and ideas!

snorvich
09/13/2011, 08:48 PM
Another question if you can answer: Will my already grown green ( 1") & Citron (1 1/2") gobies beat up new, probably smaller additions to their own species? My Citron & Green don't pay each other any attention, but my Citron stays in the water column or stuck to glass more & green is hopping all around rock work. They have both been in tank for almost 2 years.

I do not anticipate any problems

BTW thanks for hanging out on this thread and helping - few others seem to want to.

You are most welcome. I feel an obligation to "give back" to the hobby.

snorvich
09/13/2011, 08:51 PM
I posted a fish list about 1 month ago, but it has changed due to some further research I have done:
76 gal. half-circle
Lighting: AI Sol blue LED's- 2 modules.
Sump- 30 gal.
Filtration- 80 lbs. live rock, 70 lbs of aragonite sand, filter floss, carbon
Skimmer- Reef Octopus 6 (rated for tanks up to 150 gal.)
Clean-up crew- "Reef cleaners" snails
Tank plans: All sps corals

Fish list:
1 Foxface Lo
2 Percula Clowns
1 Blue-green Chromis
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Kole Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Royal Gramma

I appreciate your expertise and ideas!

I think that two large fish is too much. I like each, pick one.

streetsong
09/13/2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Snorvich. As far as large fish, I assume that you mean the Tang and the Foxface?

M88A2
09/13/2011, 10:32 PM
This may have been asked in the thread before but there are 5300 posts so i thought asking would yield better results. I have a 75g tank currently cycling with a 20g sump. There is around 70ish lbs of rocks in the display with a few more pieces in the sump. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus NWB 110.

Here is my proposed stocking list
List1
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Blue Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
Orange-Black Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
Pink Margin Wrasse

or

List 2
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
2 Ignitus anthias
Lubbock's Fairy wrasse or 2

Is this too much for my system to handle...I asked a LFS but I don't really trust them. Also if I keep more than one Lubbock's do I need to make sure it is a male/female combo?

WetShepherd
09/14/2011, 01:17 AM
Two questions - current stock list at bottom, tank info in signature ;)

1. Can I safely add a peppermint shrimp to my current stock list? I was once warned that the two cleaner shrimp I currently have might not tolerate (read:thunderdome) another shrimp in my size of tank.

2. Do I have room to add another fish comfortably? By comfortably I mean I never want to reach a 'heavy' load, nor to I want a crowded tank. I don't currently have plans to add another fish and I'm enjoying how much space they have to move around - I simply like knowing where my limit is ;)

Thanks!

Stock List:
2 Ocellaris - generally very friendly
1. Eibl (red stripe) Dwarf Angel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse

2 Cleaner (skunk) shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Nails
Blue Leg Hermit Army

snorvich
09/14/2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks, Snorvich. As far as large fish, I assume that you mean the Tang and the Foxface?

Yes, that is correct.

snorvich
09/14/2011, 05:16 AM
This may have been asked in the thread before but there are 5300 posts so i thought asking would yield better results. Having been answering for much of that time, I would not really remember even if I thought I did

I have a 75g tank currently cycling with a 20g sump. There is around 70ish lbs of rocks in the display with a few more pieces in the sump. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus NWB 110.

Here is my proposed stocking list
List1
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Blue Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse Aggressive, not recommended
Pink Margin Wrasse My experience is that the males are difficult shippers

or

List 2
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse Aggressive, not recommended
2 Ignitus anthias Well, a pair of anthias needs a larger tank but one is fine
Lubbock's Fairy wrasse or 2 If two, must be M+F

Is this too much for my system to handle...I asked a LFS but I don't really trust them. Also if I keep more than one Lubbock's do I need to make sure it is a male/female combo?

As far as crowding, it is marginal

snorvich
09/14/2011, 05:21 AM
Two questions - current stock list at bottom, tank info in signature ;)

1. Can I safely add a peppermint shrimp to my current stock list? I was once warned that the two cleaner shrimp I currently have might not tolerate (read:thunderdome) another shrimp in my size of tank.

My concern would be the "yellow wrasse" which may eat shrimp. Can you provide the species? The cleaners should not care

2. Do I have room to add another fish comfortably? By comfortably I mean I never want to reach a 'heavy' load, nor to I want a crowded tank. I don't currently have plans to add another fish and I'm enjoying how much space they have to move around - I simply like knowing where my limit is ;)

Bioload wise, a small one would be fine.
Be careful about compatibility, however

Thanks!

Stock List:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse

2 Cleaner (skunk) shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Nails
Blue Leg Hermit Army

Your hermit will likely kill your snails in the long run to "try out" their shells

WetShepherd
09/14/2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by WetShepherd View Pos
Two questions - current stock list at bottom, tank info in signature

My concern would be the "yellow wrasse" which may eat shrimp. Can you provide the species? The cleaners should not care

The Yellow Wrasse is a Halichoeres chrysus. He took a few good pecks at the Nassarius when they were introduced but I haven't seen him bother them since. None of the fish have ever troubled the cleaners - they all make use of their service except possibly the Royal Gramma - he continues to be a bit shy.

The Wrasse is fully grown or almost fully grown - should I be watching for problems? Will any of these guys be a problem for corals?

2. Do I have room to add another fish comfortably? By comfortably I mean I never want to reach a 'heavy' load, nor to I want a crowded tank. I don't currently have plans to add another fish and I'm enjoying how much space they have to move around - I simply like knowing where my limit is

Bioload wise, a small one would be fine.
Be careful about compatibility, however

Great I'll stick with what I have - it's nice knowing I've left them some extra space.

Thanks!

Stock List:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse

2 Cleaner (skunk) shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Nails
Blue Leg Hermit Army

Your hermit will likely kill your snails in the long run to "try out" their shells

I had the impression that the Nassarius could quickly dive into the sand for protection, but like most snails they seem to just turtle up. The hermits haven't touched them yet but I'll keep an eye on things. Is the sump a suitable place for hermits if you have a fuge?

Thanks Snorvich/mike - both for the answers and your other posts ;)

snorvich
09/14/2011, 10:11 AM
My concern with hermits or critters in the sump is blockage and flooding. Halichoeres chrysus can/will eat shrimp. Clowns will not allow cleaning. Any dwarf angel is NOT safe with coral especially LPS.

WetShepherd
09/14/2011, 05:01 PM
My concern with hermits or critters in the sump is blockage and flooding. Halichoeres chrysus can/will eat shrimp. Clowns will not allow cleaning. Any dwarf angel is NOT safe with coral especially LPS.

Thanks Steve, you're correcting a lot of bad info I've received and I suspect you know the head aches you've saved me.

Re: the clowns - I admittedly don't know what constitutes the actions of cleaning. The shrimp and the clowns share a cave at night (contrary to what I expected from clowns) and that's when the touchy feely seems to happen for them.

That's terrible news about the dwarf angel. The only possible solution I can imagine would be to start a second tank ;)

jamesbaur13
09/14/2011, 07:55 PM
Hey Steve,

I had a question regarding Anthias...

I have a 120 (4x2x2) I have 3 Bartlett's Anthias (juveniles, F F F) in QT atm.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a second school of Anthias and if there was any particular ones I should stay away from and If it'd work at all.

I'm thinking of replacing the (M F F) harem of Flasher Wrasses I had originally planned. I saw them at a LFS and (not sure if it was just a poor example) I wasn't too impressed with their appearance.

Thanks.

snorvich
09/14/2011, 08:29 PM
Hey Steve,

I had a question regarding Anthias...

I have a 120 (4x2x2) I have 3 Bartlett's Anthias (juveniles, F F F) in QT atm.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a second school of Anthias and if there was any particular ones I should stay away from and If it'd work at all.

I have mixed anthias albeit in much (240/350) larger tanks. I can recommend carberyi and resplendant

I'm thinking of replacing the (M F F) harem of Flasher Wrasses I had originally planned. I saw them at a LFS and (not sure if it was just a poor example) I wasn't too impressed with their appearance.

That can happen. You have to shop for good ones if you want to get superb coloration. I love anthias so I am biased although I also like fairy and flasher wrasses

Thanks.

forced4
09/15/2011, 07:23 AM
Fish wish list for my currently dry 75 gallon with around 10 gallon wet/dry set up as a sump (plan to upgrade size). Ultimately hope to go in the direction of a mixed reef.. Planning on about 75 lbs of rock structure to start.

The future wife wants: green mandarin dragonet

The kids want a pair of clowns, either ocellaris or percula and a blue tang..what kid doesn't....sigh. The tank raised varieties of course. I had a tiny blue tang in an established 55 years ago that did well..but he was tiny and as he grew in I traded him to someone with a larger tank. Not sure if another tiny one would do okay or that was luck.

I want a flame angel for a while but understand he needs to go once I get into coral...
I had a small purple stripe psuedochromis once that I liked...but he turned out to be a bully. Maybe it was him, the environment, or whatever. Not sure if he can fit in this equation.

I really like shrimp but I'm not sure on any species.

Interested in your comments and suggestions on other species as well. I haven't had time to research these very well, but since my tank is dry I'm in no danger of making rash decisions...lol. Thank you.

sixty4tw
09/15/2011, 11:24 AM
I'm looking to add a fourth (and probably last) fish to my 30g hex tank. I've got some live rock and some decorative fossilized corral and a gravel bottom.
I currently have an Ocellaris Clownfish, a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a wonderful Flame Hawkfish. They all get along well. My Royal Gramma is not shy at all and spends plenty of time in open water, but is somewhat defensive about his cave. The Flame Hawkfish is active but very peaceful with the other two. I would like my next fish to be peaceful and adaptable without any special concerns. I am feeding them frozen mysis shrimp (other frozen at times for variety) and flakes.

The Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (as well as the Pink Streaked) seems like the only wrasse that would be alright without a sand bottom and has similar feeding requirements and generally non-agressive.

The Striped Dottyback is said to be peaceful and a bit shy and reclusive which is fine. Also, I am considering the fact that they are tank-bred and possibly more hardy than the Wrasse.

If you have any experience with either I would love to hear your suggestions and advice as well as any other recommendations.

Thank You!

snorvich
09/15/2011, 02:53 PM
The future wife wants: green mandarin dragonet

That is doable around 7 months down the line IF and ONLY IF there are no other copepod eaters.

The kids want a pair of clowns, either ocellaris or percula and a blue tang..what kid doesn't....sigh.

Hepatus tangs would not do well in a 75 gallon tank

The tank raised varieties of course. I had a tiny blue tang in an established 55 years ago that did well..but he was tiny and as he grew in I traded him to someone with a larger tank. Not sure if another tiny one would do okay or that was luck.

Doing well means reaching their maturity of one foot. If it was doing well, it was living in a closet

I want a flame angel for a while but understand he needs to go once I get into coral...

Dwarf angels are not safe with LPS especially

I had a small purple stripe psuedochromis once that I liked...but he turned out to be a bully. Maybe it was him, the environment, or whatever. Not sure if he can fit in this equation.

Orchid dottybacks (P. fridmani) would work, the rest are majorly aggressive

I really like shrimp but I'm not sure on any species.

Various cleaners are fine, alpheus soror pistols are great, but stay away from Coral Banded Shrimp

Interested in your comments and suggestions on other species as well. I haven't had time to research these very well, but since my tank is dry I'm in no danger of making rash decisions...lol. Thank you.

snorvich
09/15/2011, 02:55 PM
I'm looking to add a fourth (and probably last) fish to my 30g hex tank. I've got some live rock and some decorative fossilized corral and a gravel bottom.
I currently have an Ocellaris Clownfish, a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a wonderful Flame Hawkfish. They all get along well. My Royal Gramma is not shy at all and spends plenty of time in open water, but is somewhat defensive about his cave. The Flame Hawkfish is active but very peaceful with the other two. I would like my next fish to be peaceful and adaptable without any special concerns. I am feeding them frozen mysis shrimp (other frozen at times for variety) and flakes.

The Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (as well as the Pink Streaked) seems like the only wrasse that would be alright without a sand bottom and has similar feeding requirements and generally non-agressive.

I have one and love it. Terrific fish.

The Striped Dottyback is said to be peaceful and a bit shy and reclusive which is fine. Also, I am considering the fact that they are tank-bred and possibly more hardy than the Wrasse.

I don't do dottybacks because of their nature but in general, they are aggressive. I have not kept the one in question.

If you have any experience with either I would love to hear your suggestions and advice as well as any other recommendations.

Thank You!

A_Z
09/15/2011, 04:57 PM
would this work in a 75g (w/20g sump) mixed softie reef (w/Feather dusters)?

- Yellow Clown Goby
- Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
- Male Squareback Anthias
- Blue Chromis
- Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse
- Green Mandarin 6-7 months established?

Bucko827
09/15/2011, 05:07 PM
Hi guys,

Im new to this but looking to setup my first reef aquarium.

I recently aquired an 80G tank H=27 1/2", W=12 1/2", L=67" with 1cm glass all round.

Equipment I have so far :
Fluval 405 filter pump
2 heaters
40w flurecent tube 1meter long

Livestock that im thinking of getting:
Pyjama Cardinal
Blue/Green Chromis sm/md
Hifin Yellow nose Goby
Common clown fish
Purple Fire fish
Also thought of snails and other inverterbrates

Looking for any help and advice.

Thanks

snorvich
09/15/2011, 05:56 PM
would this work in a 75g (w/20g sump) mixed softie reef (w/Feather dusters)?

- Yellow Clown Goby
- Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
- Male Squareback Anthias
- Blue Chromis
- Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse
- Green Mandarin 6-7 months established?

That should work. Be sure the mandarin is added to a mature tank

snorvich
09/15/2011, 05:58 PM
Hi guys,

Im new to this but looking to setup my first reef aquarium.

I recently aquired an 80G tank H=27 1/2", W=12 1/2", L=67" with 1cm glass all round.

Equipment I have so far :
Fluval 405 filter pump
2 heaters
40w flurecent tube 1meter long

Livestock that im thinking of getting:
Pyjama Cardinal
Blue/Green Chromis sm/md
Hifin Yellow nose Goby
Common clown fish
Purple Fire fish Be sure this fish is established first.
Also thought of snails and other inverterbrates

Looking for any help and advice.

Be sure to properly cycle your tank and do not use fish for that purpose.

Thanks

Bucko827
09/15/2011, 06:12 PM
I planned on having the tank setup from 2weeks to 2months before adding fish to make sure I got everything right and stabil before adding fish and was going to add the clown fish first so thanks for the advice.

What would you suggest I add to my build in the way of equipment and internal decorations?

I do not want LR though was going to use DR and eventually get some coral but not sure what types.

snorvich
09/15/2011, 07:19 PM
I planned on having the tank setup from 2weeks to 2months before adding fish to make sure I got everything right and stabil before adding fish and was going to add the clown fish first so thanks for the advice.

What would you suggest I add to my build in the way of equipment and internal decorations?

I do not want LR though was going to use DR and eventually get some coral but not sure what types.

You need to understand the cycle process as well as testing associated with it. This thread is about fish compatibility: with each other and with your environment being provided. Questions about equipment should be an individual thread in New to the Hobby.

A_Z
09/18/2011, 05:25 PM
I was wondering if
Chelmon marginalis
Chaetodon Declivis

are safe with soft corals like zoas/leathers/xenia etc?

thank you

also any experience with the Marginalis, I heard they are much hardier than CBB.

I would sub the mandarin for the Margin since they both eat pods.

stock list 75g ~

Blue Chromis
Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
Squareback Anthias
Chelmon marginalis (Australia)
Peppermint Candy Cane Hogfish
If Possible a small tang like a Kole added last.

snorvich
09/18/2011, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if
Chelmon marginalis
Chaetodon Declivis

are safe with soft corals like zoas/leathers/xenia etc?

Since I do not keep any of these as I consider them pests, I would not know. NO butterfly, however is reef safe.

thank you

also any experience with the Marginalis, I heard they are much hardier than CBB.

That is correct. Also more expensive and more difficult to find.

I would sub the mandarin for the Margin since they both eat pods.

stock list 75g ~

Blue Chromis
Squareback Anthias
Chelmon marginalis (Australia)
If Possible a small tang like a Kole added last.

Babybrown1249
09/18/2011, 07:35 PM
I have a 90 gal DT with a 30 gal sump/ref. 110 lbs of sand, 85 lbs of LR on half the tank, foam rock on the other side of tank (about same surface size as LR) 3 koralia 4s planning on purchasing an octopus skimmer rated for 160 next but I wanted to have you look at my planned stocking list. (not all at once obviously)

I currently have a 75 gal set up and running for about 6 months with 4 clowns a yellow damsel and 3 pajama cards. I want to get...

2-3 Yellow tangs
1 sailfin tang
3-4 green cromis
Maybe one or two more compatible fish

What do you think?

snorvich
09/18/2011, 08:31 PM
I have a 90 gal DT with a 30 gal sump/ref. 110 lbs of sand, 85 lbs of LR on half the tank, foam rock on the other side of tank (about same surface size as LR) 3 koralia 4s planning on purchasing an octopus skimmer rated for 160 next but I wanted to have you look at my planned stocking list. (not all at once obviously)

I currently have a 75 gal set up and running for about 6 months with 4 clowns a yellow damsel and 3 pajama cards. I want to get...

2-3 Yellow tangs Will not coexist
1 sailfin tang Gets too large
3-4 green cromis
Maybe one or two more compatible fish

What do you think?

The stocking list is inappropriate to your tank size. You cannot keep multiple tangs in that sized tank. Your chromis will also winnow down to one. Four clowns will become two clowns as they sexually mature.

Palting
09/18/2011, 09:31 PM
Both my firefish went carpet surfing :(. Had them for almost a year. I'm looking at replacing them. My wife saw a pair of Pajama Cardinals and love them. They are a colorful, serene fish, just floating there. I'm a little worried to have them in my tank, though. I have peaceful but very active fish, please see my sig. OTOH, I do have a lot of crevices and caves for hidng. What do you guys think? Thanks!

snorvich
09/19/2011, 05:25 AM
Both my firefish went carpet surfing :(. Had them for almost a year. I'm looking at replacing them. My wife saw a pair of Pajama Cardinals and love them. They are a colorful, serene fish, just floating there. I'm a little worried to have them in my tank, though. I have peaceful but very active fish, please see my sig. OTOH, I do have a lot of crevices and caves for hidng. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Cardinals are peaceful fish, primarily nocturnal as are all cardinal fish, but have the potential to eat shrimp.

Palting
09/19/2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Steve.

Brando8719
09/19/2011, 02:33 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could add a Diamond Watchman Goby to my tank. My roommate saw one in the lfs the other day and has really been bugging for one. The way the eat the sand is pretty hilarious. I've never seen anything like it.

I currently have:
2x Ocellaris Clown
1x Bi-Colour Angel
1x Red Elongated Dottyback
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
CUC including astrea snails, turbo snails and hermit crabs.

My set up is a 55 gallon reef with a 15gallon sump. I'm using a bullet-1 skimmer, 400W MH, 45lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand. My tank is only 4-5 months old. I currently don't have a refugium set up but it is something I plan on doing in the future. I plan on having corals (well, more than I do now). I currently have a red favia, frogspawn, and open brain. I have read that the goby often throws sand on the open brains? Is this a problem if you clean them off daily?

In my research some sites mention a stocked refugium is necessary which makes me think that they might eat pods? Therefore, maybe my tank isn't established enough to house one? I know they can eat a variety of other foods.. I'm just not sure why the refugium is necessary.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

tsharp90
09/19/2011, 03:19 PM
In beginning of planning a 40g breeder bta tank. My thoughts for livestock so far are:
A bunch of different color morphs of BTA
Several clown fish. Maybe a BW pair and some pink skunks. Can I have a pair of each?
A bunch of sexy anemone shrimp
candy stripe pistol shrimp with some kind of shrimp goby.
Maybe add some ricodea later on.

please let me know your thoughts

snorvich
09/19/2011, 03:31 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could add a Diamond Watchman Goby to my tank. My roommate saw one in the lfs the other day and has really been bugging for one. The way the eat the sand is pretty hilarious. I've never seen anything like it.

I currently have:
2x Ocellaris Clown
1x Bi-Colour Angel
1x Red Elongated Dottyback
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
CUC including astrea snails, turbo snails and hermit crabs.

My set up is a 55 gallon reef with a 15gallon sump. I'm using a bullet-1 skimmer, 400W MH, 45lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand. My tank is only 4-5 months old. I currently don't have a refugium set up but it is something I plan on doing in the future. I plan on having corals (well, more than I do now). I currently have a red favia, frogspawn, and open brain. I have read that the goby often throws sand on the open brains? Is this a problem if you clean them off daily?

In my research some sites mention a stocked refugium is necessary which makes me think that they might eat pods? Therefore, maybe my tank isn't established enough to house one? I know they can eat a variety of other foods.. I'm just not sure why the refugium is necessary.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

They are carnivores so mysis or equivalent would be good. The probably do eat small organisms but I cannot find out why a refugium is a requirement. However, they make a major mess with the sand sifting.

Brando8719
09/19/2011, 03:40 PM
They are carnivores so mysis or equivalent would be good. The probably do eat small organisms but I cannot find out why a refugium is a requirement. However, they make a major mess with the sand sifting.

Thanks.. it's much appreciated. That's what my lfs said too. I'll really have to think about this one... I don't know if I want that mess in my tank.

snorvich
09/19/2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks.. it's much appreciated. That's what my lfs said too. I'll really have to think about this one... I don't know if I want that mess in my tank.

In my case, it really was aggravating. You may be more tolerant.

jonathansruelas
09/20/2011, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

Well I'm still cycling but I wanted to see whether this fish list would be able to work.

Tank is 130 gallons, 52x28x20. I have a sump, ASM G2 skimmer, have a refugium in the works, waiting for cycle to end to add the chaeto, have about 15lbs of rock in sump with sand, in main display there will be around 100lbs of live rock.. I plan to have mushrooms/zoas/xenias. I will be using a tek t5 48" with 6 x 54watts

I know some of these fish will be hit or miss with corals I want but I'm going to try it out, the ones I want are inexpensive and grow fast anyway so worth a try.

Wish List.
1. One Spot Foxface
2. Flame Angel
3. Potter or/Rusty Angel
4. Tusk Wrasse
5.Pair of Ocellaris Clowns/Black
6. Falco Hawkfish
7. Pinktail Trigger
8. Blue Jaw Trigger

snorvich
09/20/2011, 05:51 AM
Hey guys,

Well I'm still cycling but I wanted to see whether this fish list would be able to work.

Tank is 130 gallons, 52x28x20. I have a sump, ASM G2 skimmer, have a refugium in the works, waiting for cycle to end to add the chaeto, have about 15lbs of rock in sump with sand, in main display there will be around 100lbs of live rock.. I plan to have mushrooms/zoas/xenias. I will be using a tek t5 48" with 6 x 54watts

I know some of these fish will be hit or miss with corals I want but I'm going to try it out, the ones I want are inexpensive and grow fast anyway so worth a try.

Wish List.
1. One Spot Foxface
2. Flame Angel
3. Potter or/Rusty Angel
4. Tusk Wrasse
5.Pair of Ocellaris Clowns/Black
6. Falco Hawkfish
7. Pinktail Trigger
8. Blue Jaw Trigger

Your triggers, especially if more than one need a larger tank. In any case, three largish fish will make your tank look small. As you know you have fish that will not be LPS coral safe and fish that will not be invertebrate safe

Tin_Whistler
09/20/2011, 09:45 AM
I probably won’t be adding fish for about a year as I’m still collecting/building the parts to the tank, but I’m big into pre-planning and figure since I’ve got my list I should run it past somebody smarter, and more subjective than I am.

Tank will be a 180 Gallon mixed reef (6x2x2), Fuge will be a 40 breeder filled with rock, sump size is unknown, but I’m guessing around 20 gallons of water between the different sections there. Lid will be made of ¼” mesh, and tight fitting to keep the wrasses in the tank.

I had a hard time coming up with this list as there’s so many fish I like, many of which are either too big, or too aggressive for a majority of what I’d like to keep. I’m also torn on whether this is too many fish or not, but I think it’s a good mix of mostly peaceful fish that’ll do well together.

Everything below is listed in order they will be introduced into the tank, and everything will be QT’d for a minimum of 6 weeks before being introduced into the tank.

Fish
1 x Wetmorella albofasciata (White Banded Possum Wrasse)
2 x Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter Flasher Wrasse) M/F combo of course
3 x Sphaeramia nematoptera (Spotted Cardnalfish)
2 x Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish)
1 x Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
1 x Chromis cyaneus (Blue Reef Chromis)
1 x Ctenochaetus strigosus (Kole Yellow Eye Tang)
1 x Gramma loreto (Royal Gamma Basslet)
1 x Pterosynchiropus splendidus (Red Mandarin) waiting at least 10 months after the cycle
1x Acanthurus japonicus (Powder Brown Tang) Adding last due to aggressiveness

Inverts
2 x Thor amboinensis (Sexy Anemone Shrimp)
1 x Lysmata debelius (Blood Red Fire Shrimp)
1 x Lybia Tesselatta (Pom Pom Crab)
2 x Neopetrolisthes ohshimai (Porcelain Anemone Crab)
1 x Alpheus bellulus (Tiger Snapping Shrimp) will be added alongside the Goby, QT’d separately though
1 x Entacmaea quadricolor (Rose Bulb Anemone) waiting 1 year to afford better lights/mature tank
1 x Heteractis crispa (sebae Anemone)

Clean Up Crew [not listed in order]
2 x Elysia crispate (Lettuce Sea Slug)
1 x Mespilia globulus (Blue Tuxedo Urchin)
1 x Strombus alatus (Fighting Conch)
5 x Nassarius sp. (Nassaarius Snail)
5 x Turbo fluctuosa (Turbo Snail)
5 x Cerithium sp. (Cerith Snail)
5 x Astraea phoebia (Spiny Star Astrea)
10 x Nerita sp. (Nerite Snail)

snorvich
09/20/2011, 11:02 AM
I probably won’t be adding fish for about a year as I’m still collecting/building the parts to the tank, but I’m big into pre-planning and figure since I’ve got my list I should run it past somebody smarter, and more subjective than I am.

Tank will be a 180 Gallon mixed reef (6x2x2), Fuge will be a 40 breeder filled with rock, sump size is unknown, but I’m guessing around 20 gallons of water between the different sections there. Lid will be made of ¼” mesh, and tight fitting to keep the wrasses in the tank.

I had a hard time coming up with this list as there’s so many fish I like, many of which are either too big, or too aggressive for a majority of what I’d like to keep. I’m also torn on whether this is too many fish or not, but I think it’s a good mix of mostly peaceful fish that’ll do well together.

Everything below is listed in order they will be introduced into the tank, and everything will be QT’d for a minimum of 6 weeks before being introduced into the tank.

Fish
1 x Wetmorella albofasciata (White Banded Possum Wrasse)
2 x Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter Flasher Wrasse) M/F combo of course
3 x Sphaeramia nematoptera (Spotted Cardnalfish)
2 x Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish)
1 x Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
1 x Chromis cyaneus (Blue Reef Chromis)
1 x Ctenochaetus strigosus (Kole Yellow Eye Tang)
1 x Gramma loreto (Royal Gamma Basslet)
1 x Pterosynchiropus splendidus (Red Mandarin) waiting at least 10 months after the cycle
1x Acanthurus japonicus (Powder Brown Tang) Adding last due to aggressiveness

I think your fish list is excellent, you will have room, biocapacity and copepods for a pair of red mandarins.

Inverts
2 x Thor amboinensis (Sexy Anemone Shrimp)
1 x Lysmata debelius (Blood Red Fire Shrimp)
1 x Lybia Tesselatta (Pom Pom Crab)
2 x Neopetrolisthes ohshimai (Porcelain Anemone Crab)
1 x Alpheus bellulus (Tiger Snapping Shrimp) will be added alongside the Goby, QT’d separately though
1 x Entacmaea quadricolor (Rose Bulb Anemone) waiting 1 year to afford better lights/mature tank
1 x Heteractis crispa (sebae Anemone)

You might consider a pair of alpheus soror pistol shrimp; they are non commensal but interesting and gorgeous

Clean Up Crew [not listed in order]
2 x Elysia crispate (Lettuce Sea Slug)
1 x Mespilia globulus (Blue Tuxedo Urchin) pretty but a bit of bulldozer with corals and rock structures. Urchins in general are like that
1 x Strombus alatus (Fighting Conch) I would increase this number to 3
5 x Nassarius sp. (Nassaarius Snail)
5 x Turbo fluctuosa (Turbo Snail)
5 x Cerithium sp. (Cerith Snail)
5 x Astraea phoebia (Spiny Star Astrea)
10 x Nerita sp. (Nerite Snail)

In general, VERY well thought out

Tin_Whistler
09/20/2011, 11:34 AM
I think your fish list is excellent, you will have room, biocapacity and copepods for a pair of red mandarins.I had thought about a pair, but dismissed it a bit as I know they can be territorial towards eachother. I would guess a Male/Female combo should do decently, especially with that much space.

You might consider a pair of alpheus soror pistol shrimp; they are non commensal but interesting and gorgeousI definitely like these guys as well, I could see them being a possible future addition. More than likely I'll keep an eye on the available space in the tank and see if I think it needs some more filling out with smaller inverts.

I love the activity emerald/hermit crabs add. But I don't want anything in the tank that'll eat corals or kill fish/snails which is why I've only got peaceful shrimp, and crabs that aren't jerks.

pretty but a bit of bulldozer with corals and rock structures. Urchins in general are like that Rocks will all be cemented, and pegged together. I'm hoping I'm able to cement all the corals really well as well.

I figured without algae eating crabs this guy would make a nice addition to the clean up crew. I prefer the longspine myself, but I don't know if I'd want one in a tank this large... too likely to loose track of it and get stuck while cleaning the tank...

I would increase this number to 3Consider it done.

In general, VERY well thought out Thank you.

I appreciate you taking your time to go over it! Thanks Steve!

snorvich
09/20/2011, 01:53 PM
For the red mandarin pair, I was suggesting a Male and Female as two of the same sex do not work.

snorvich
09/20/2011, 02:00 PM
For the red mandarin pair, I was suggesting a Male and Female as two of the same sex do not work.

bayman
09/20/2011, 02:11 PM
New to Saltwater,
I have a 55 gal tank, coralife 65g Protein Skimmer, 3 inch live sand, 60lb live rock, magnum 350 canister and emperor 400 power filter, Glo T5 Ho 2 bulb lights,

I would like to know what type of fish would be recommended for this size tank,
I would like:
2 clown fish
1 blue tang
what would be recommended for the fish we like, from what i understand with this tank size i can get a total of 7 small to mid size fish.
any and all information would be appreciated..

snorvich
09/20/2011, 03:10 PM
New to Saltwater,
I have a 55 gal tank, coralife 65g Protein Skimmer, 3 inch live sand, 60lb live rock, magnum 350 canister and emperor 400 power filter, Glo T5 Ho 2 bulb lights,

I would like to know what type of fish would be recommended for this size tank,
I would like:
2 clown fish
1 blue tang The reef central recommended tank size for a Hepatus tang is 240 gallons.
what would be recommended for the fish we like, from what i understand with this tank size i can get a total of 7 small to mid size fish.

There is no real guideline as such, and it makes a difference which fish you try to put together.

any and all information would be appreciated..

A_Z
09/20/2011, 04:21 PM
No dice on a marginalis. Pretty much an impossible fish to find here.

75g FOWLR since I prefer butterflys over soft corals :D w/25g sump (probably holds 10-15g of water)

Added in order:

Blue Chromis
Squareback Anthias Male
Declivis Butterfly fish
Kole Tang.

Inverts:
Skunk Cleaner Pair
CUC - snails one or two dwarf hermits

snorvich
09/20/2011, 05:25 PM
No dice on a marginalis. Pretty much an impossible fish to find here.

75g FOWLR since I prefer butterflys over soft corals :D w/25g sump (probably holds 10-15g of water)

Added in order:

Blue Chromis
Squareback Anthias Male
Declivis Butterfly fish
Kole Tang.

Inverts:
Skunk Cleaner Pair
CUC - snails one or two dwarf hermits

My recollection is that hogfish are not shrimp safe

jonathansruelas
09/21/2011, 01:01 AM
Your triggers, especially if more than one need a larger tank. In any case, three largish fish will make your tank look small. As you know you have fish that will not be LPS coral safe and fish that will not be invertebrate safe

I don't plan to keep any invertebrates, what kind of trigger do you recommend if the ones I choose are too big? Was the rest of the list ok?

Thanks for the help by the way

snorvich
09/21/2011, 05:51 AM
I don't plan to keep any invertebrates, what kind of trigger do you recommend if the ones I choose are too big? Was the rest of the list ok?

Thanks for the help by the way

The rest of the list is fine. I cannot really recommend any trigger as they all get large and all are in varying degrees, aggressive. Least aggressive might be the Niger but it will reach one foot in length.

barbouri02
09/21/2011, 07:40 AM
Hi ya'll.

We have a 55 in the works*4ft*, plan for 75 lbs of LR in the display, its got a 20 gal sump (where more rubble will live), in sump skimmer rated for 100g, Eshopps 800 overflow, mag 9.5 return pump with ball valve to slow the flow just a hair to keep it inline with the overflow. It will have a 3-4 inch sandbed. We also plan to have two powerheads in the tank to help with flow (probabaly the hydor Koralia Evolution or original Koralia). As as well a Tek 5 4 bulb fixture for lighting. We plan to have a standard CUC for this tank as well, hermits, snails, shrimp but thats all.

We have a list of fish and corals we've fallen in love with but dont HAVE to have them all, and realize we can't due to size of tank, but out of our selections what would be best in ya'll opinion. I just wanted to see what the more experienced thought we could have in our tank without having to worry about having TOO many fish in there. Here's the list:

Fish:
Royal Gamma
Fire Fish
pearly jawfish
Flame Angel
Percula clown
Red Mandarin (obviously added after 6 or more months with a solid pod population)
Kaudern's Cardinal
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby/Pistal Shrimp

We also like some of the more agressive fish as well, but would consider another tank for them if needed:
Fu Manchu Lion
Marine Betta

We'd like these corals:
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Branch Hammer
Elegance Coral (thought I read something bad about this one)
Trumpet Coral
Bubble Coral (Pearl)

Stylophora Coral
Birds Nest Coral

Colt Coral
Pipe Organ Coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Blue Sympodium Polyp
Waving Hand Coral
Jasmine Polyp
Glove Polyp
And various Zoa's appeal to us.

So, obviously we cant have it all, but what would work best for the system we have in the works?

snorvich
09/21/2011, 08:44 AM
Hi ya'll.

We have a 55 in the works*4ft*, plan for 75 lbs of LR in the display, its got a 20 gal sump (where more rubble will live), in sump skimmer rated for 100g, Eshopps 800 overflow, mag 9.5 return pump with ball valve to slow the flow just a hair to keep it inline with the overflow. It will have a 3-4 inch sandbed. We also plan to have two powerheads in the tank to help with flow (probabaly the hydor Koralia Evolution or original Koralia). As as well a Tek 5 4 bulb fixture for lighting. We plan to have a standard CUC for this tank as well, hermits, snails, shrimp but thats all.

We have a list of fish and corals we've fallen in love with but dont HAVE to have them all, and realize we can't due to size of tank, but out of our selections what would be best in ya'll opinion. I just wanted to see what the more experienced thought we could have in our tank without having to worry about having TOO many fish in there. Here's the list:

Fish:
Royal Gamma
Fire Fish Must be established first
pearly jawfish
Flame Angel
Percula clown ideally not paired; but may associate with some of your corals and has the potential to damage them
Red Mandarin (obviously added after 6 or more months with a solid pod population) in your sized tank, you will need a refugium
Kaudern's Cardinal
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby/Pistal Shrimp
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse may intimidate your firefish

We also like some of the more agressive fish as well, but would consider another tank for them if needed:
Fu Manchu Lion Will eat tankmates
Marine Betta gets too large for that tank, may eat tankmates

We'd like these corals: While we don't normally give coral advice in this thread, as it is about fish . . .
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Branch Hammer
Elegance Coral (thought I read something bad about this one) Should be an Aussie variety; dip in revive
Trumpet Coral
Bubble Coral (Pearl)

Stylophora Coral needs high flow
Birds Nest Coral

Colt Coral
Pipe Organ Coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Blue Sympodium Polyp
Waving Hand Coral may take over your tank
Jasmine Polyp
Glove Polyp
And various Zoa's appeal to us.

So, obviously we cant have it all, but what would work best for the system we have in the works?

armison89
09/21/2011, 08:59 AM
what fish can i keep with a catalina goby since they need cooler water?

barbouri02
09/21/2011, 09:19 AM
Capensis SH's are cooler water fish that often are paired with catalina gobys. But that would be species only tank.

barbouri02
09/21/2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you Steve for your advice. I was aware the more predatory fish probably wouldn't work with our "community" tank as planned, but I know sometimes they do well, other times not so good at all.

Thanks for answering about the corals, I know its a fish purchase thread but since we dont have the tank set up yet I just wanted to make sure since mainly this tank would be fish focus but if we added the corals we liked that there wouldn't be an issue with the fish.

As for stocking density with the fish, should we consider cutting it down? If so where?

barbouri02
09/21/2011, 09:23 AM
Oh, and we plan to get the refug in the sump going well before any mandarin is even thought of going into the tank.

aaglikin
09/21/2011, 09:27 AM
75 gallon, 2 fluval canister 205/305 filters, reef ooctopus,skimmer, 80 lbs live sand, 50 lbs live rock, led lights. Just introduced the sand and rock, just starting cycle. Probably add a little more rock later. Would like suggestions since this is my first go. Like clowns, angels, tangs, damsels and puffer. Thanks in advance.

snorvich
09/21/2011, 10:37 AM
Thank you Steve for your advice. I was aware the more predatory fish probably wouldn't work with our "community" tank as planned, but I know sometimes they do well, other times not so good at all.

Thanks for answering about the corals, I know its a fish purchase thread but since we dont have the tank set up yet I just wanted to make sure since mainly this tank would be fish focus but if we added the corals we liked that there wouldn't be an issue with the fish.

As for stocking density with the fish, should we consider cutting it down? If so where?

Well your stocking density is a bit high. I would prioritize the list and then look at about 80% as a starter. Remember than any dwarf angel is not safe with LPS. It may be ok with your elegance but there is not a guarantee.

snorvich
09/21/2011, 10:42 AM
75 gallon, 2 fluval canister 205/305 filters, reef ooctopus,skimmer, 80 lbs live sand, 50 lbs live rock, led lights. Just introduced the sand and rock, just starting cycle. Probably add a little more rock later. Would like suggestions since this is my first go. Like clowns, angels, tangs, damsels and puffer. Thanks in advance.

Corals? One Ctenochaetus tang is possible. I never recommend puffers or damsels due to aggression. But in general we do not recommend. We can evaluate your fish choices with each other and the environment you are providing.

Tin_Whistler
09/21/2011, 10:51 AM
For the red mandarin pair, I was suggesting a Male and Female as two of the same sex do not work. Just out of curiosity do you think a Green Clown Goby would work in place of a second Mandarin? Part of the reason I picked the fish I did was the broad color spectrum they had, realized last night I didn't have much green other than the small pale spots on the Cardinals.

I know the Clown Gobies have a tendency to snack on Pods, so I’d assume the tank wouldn’t be able to support 2 mandy’s and the clown goby. I’m also familiar with their Acro snacking, but I’d set up an acro farm for him beforehand so I wouldn’t have to worry about it terrorizing a single coral.

Thanks in advance! I think it's really cool that you take your time to help everyone out with these.

tsharp90
09/21/2011, 01:57 PM
In beginning of planning a 40g breeder bta tank. My thoughts for livestock so far are:
Several clown fish. Maybe a BW pair and some pink skunks. Can I have a pair of each?

Updated plans for tank:
40G Breeder 29G sump with refuge and ATS and dsb
Several Different color morph BTAs
Pair of BW Occ
some sexy anemone shrimp
some white spot anemone shrimp
maybe a white anemone crab
randall's shrimp goby(can I keep a pair?) with candy stripe pistol shrimp
once properly established and seeded a mandarin. (would a pair be possible?)

Any input greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
tim

snorvich
09/21/2011, 02:17 PM
Just out of curiosity do you think a Green Clown Goby would work in place of a second Mandarin? Part of the reason I picked the fish I did was the broad color spectrum they had, realized last night I didn't have much green other than the small pale spots on the Cardinals.

I know the Clown Gobies have a tendency to snack on Pods, so I’d assume the tank wouldn’t be able to support 2 mandy’s and the clown goby. I’m also familiar with their Acro snacking, but I’d set up an acro farm for him beforehand so I wouldn’t have to worry about it terrorizing a single coral.

Thanks in advance! I think it's really cool that you take your time to help everyone out with these.

I am more concerned about clown gobies and their effects on acropora but I do not worry about copepod consumption. .

snorvich
09/21/2011, 02:21 PM
Updated plans for tank:
40G Breeder 29G sump with refuge and ATS and dsb
Several Different color morph BTAs
Pair of BW Occ
some sexy anemone shrimp
some white spot anemone shrimp
maybe a white anemone crab
randall's shrimp goby(can I keep a pair?) with candy stripe pistol shrimp
once properly established and seeded a mandarin. (would a pair be possible?)

Unless you have a producing refugium, a mandarin is not sustainable long term in your sized tank. BTA require a mature tank and proper lighting and flow. The remainder is fine. The BTA issue should be a separate thread in the New to the Hobby forum.

Any input greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
tim

armison89
09/21/2011, 04:16 PM
what fish can i keep with a catalina goby since they need cooler water? anything other then seahorses?

snorvich
09/21/2011, 05:18 PM
what fish can i keep with a catalina goby since they need cooler water? anything other then seahorses?

Nothing affordable that I know of.

A_Z
09/21/2011, 06:07 PM
My recollection is that hogfish are not shrimp safe

I couldn't find much info online on Bodianus sepiacaudus other than
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=131953

think it would even eat the cleaner shrimp?

snorvich
09/21/2011, 08:55 PM
I couldn't find much info online on Bodianus sepiacaudus other than
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=131953

think it would even eat the cleaner shrimp?

I considered one about six or seven years ago. I did not buy it as I have lots of shrimp.

twahl
09/22/2011, 05:17 PM
I would like to add a few more fish to my tank. Within the last year I've lost 2 hippo tangs and a green mandarin. I'm thinking I would like to add a copper banded butterfly, a foxface, and maybe a naso tang or some other kind of not boring tang. Thanks for your advice.

snorvich
09/22/2011, 06:33 PM
I would like to add a few more fish to my tank. Within the last year I've lost 2 hippo tangs and a green mandarin. I'm thinking I would like to add a copper banded butterfly, a foxface, and maybe a naso tang or some other kind of not boring tang. Thanks for your advice.

Is this for a 120 gallon tank? If so you can forget hippo and naso tangs. Both require a much larger tank. Copperbands are difficult fish to keep. Please read the Copperband Primer.

armison89
09/22/2011, 07:09 PM
im bored so im thinking of my fish list for my future mixed reef tank. it will be a 500 gallon dt.

1 Lamarck's Angelfish (Genicanthus lamarck)
1 Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
3 Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish (Heniochus acuminatus)
1 Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
5 Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)
2 Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus)
1 Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus)

snorvich
09/22/2011, 08:31 PM
im bored so im thinking of my fish list for my future mixed reef tank. it will be a 500 gallon dt.

1 Lamarck's Angelfish (Genicanthus lamarck)
1 Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
3 Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish (Heniochus acuminatus)
1 Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
5 Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)
2 Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus)
1 Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus)

The fish list works. But you are a long way from your current 40 gallon tank.

badbreath
09/23/2011, 12:05 AM
Hey all, I have an almost 80 gallon tank with ~80lbs LR and 140lbs of sand, in my classroom. I currently have two juvi Ocellaris (one larger than the other) they are working on pairing, and I also have 1 royal gramma. I also have your standard cuc suspects.

I would like to add
1 Kole's Tang
1 watchman goby

I would like recommendations on Anthias and Wrasses. Will the Anthias kill each other off like chromis, and are there any wrasses that are unlikely to become ill tempered?

Thanks
Ryan

armison89
09/23/2011, 12:10 AM
i know this wont happen untill after i buy a house in a few years.

snorvich
09/23/2011, 05:52 AM
Hey all, I have an almost 80 gallon tank with ~80lbs LR and 140lbs of sand, in my classroom. I currently have two juvi Ocellaris (one larger than the other) they are working on pairing, and I also have 1 royal gramma. I also have your standard cuc suspects.

I would like to add
1 Kole's Tang
1 watchman goby

Those are fine

I would like recommendations on Anthias and Wrasses. Will the Anthias kill each other off like chromis, and are there any wrasses that are unlikely to become ill tempered?

Depending on species of anthias, they may all turn male and become aggressive towards each other. But your tank size is not large enough for more than one anthias. If your tank is covered, a flasher wrasse or even a harem would work

Thanks
Ryan

snorvich
09/23/2011, 05:53 AM
i know this wont happen untill after i buy a house in a few years.

Which will make life a whole lot easier if you have a fish room for sump and other equipment.

souperman
09/25/2011, 01:35 PM
This is what I have in mind:

(2) Black and White Clownfish w/RBTA
(4) Blue/green Chromis
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Mystery Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby OR Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
Firefish
Lyretail Anthias
Purple Dottyback

Tank is a standard 90G with a 40G custom sump/fuge and a SWC 160. I have a 2-3" fine sandbed and the tank is full of Pukani dry rock. The tank finished cycling about a month ago and currently already has the Black Clowns and Chromis. I also added a CUC of snails from reefcleaners.

I'd like to keep it peaceful with a manageable load so I don't have to struggle to keep nutrient levels down.

snorvich
09/25/2011, 08:36 PM
This is what I have in mind:

(2) Black and White Clownfish w/RBTA
(4) Blue/green Chromis Will likely winnow down to one
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Mystery Wrasse Can be aggressive towards shrimp and other fish such as firefish and pseudochromis
Firefish may be intimidated by dottyback or mystery wrasse
Lyretail Anthias
Purple Dottyback Dottybacks/pseudochromis can be aggressive except P. fridmani

Tank is a standard 90G with a 40G custom sump/fuge and a SWC 160. I have a 2-3" fine sandbed and the tank is full of Pukani dry rock. The tank finished cycling about a month ago and currently already has the Black Clowns and Chromis. I also added a CUC of snails from reefcleaners.

I'd like to keep it peaceful with a manageable load so I don't have to struggle to keep nutrient levels down.

souperman
09/25/2011, 09:45 PM
(2) Black and White Clownfish
(4) Blue/green Chromis
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Carpenter’s Fairy Wrasse
Firefish
Lyretail Anthias
Royal Grandma

Would this have less chance of aggression and conflict?

Beardo
09/25/2011, 10:21 PM
Thinking about getting a volitan lionfish for my currently empty 65 gallon once I switch it over to saltwater....if the lion is the sole occupant of the tank, would this be suitable?

snorvich
09/26/2011, 05:42 AM
(2) Black and White Clownfish
(4) Blue/green Chromis still aggressive towards each other and will become one or two
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Carpenter’s Fairy Wrasse Flasher not fairy wrasse but fine
Firefish Be sure to establish first, otherwise flasher wrasse may intimidate
Lyretail Anthias
Royal Grandma

Would this have less chance of aggression and conflict?

Yes

snorvich
09/26/2011, 05:44 AM
Thinking about getting a volitan lionfish for my currently empty 65 gallon once I switch it over to saltwater....if the lion is the sole occupant of the tank, would this be suitable?

Not really. These fish, while gorgeous do eventually get large and need a tank about 120 gallons. Dwarf pygmy lionfish would be more suitable for example this. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+227&pcatid=227)

BfishLpond78
09/26/2011, 02:13 PM
Ok, I have 36 gallon bow front tank with 30lbs of BR and 17lbs of LR cycling at the moment.

What I have for gear is:

Octopus HOB Skimmer BH-100
Two Koralia Evo 550's
AC 70 modded to a fuge - rubble rock is cycling as well - will have macro's too
RO/DI Water

Fish:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Royal Gamma
1 x Midas Blenny
1 x Mandarin (wishlist, don't know if my tank is too small)

Inverts:
3 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Blood Fire Shrimp

I would like to have a mixed reef, mostly LPS, the ones that move with the current (sorry i'm new). I would like to have clams down the road.

I would appreciate a review of what I have.

I know I haven't listed a light yet but I've been looking at the 24" 6x24W Dimmable SunPower T5. I realize my tank is 30" wide but I have been unable to find a good fixture. Will this be too much for LPS? Also will it be not enough to support a clam?

KingsFan
09/26/2011, 02:58 PM
You're a busy man SNORVICH! Could I get your opinion on the following list for a 150 gallon FOWLR? Thanks!

Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Canary Wrasse
Flame Angel
(1) Pair Perculas
Yellow Tang
Longnose Hawk
Bi-colored Blenny
Six-line Wrasse
Foxface

FYI...I already have an Imperator, a Blue tang and a FlameHawk established in the tank.

sixty4tw
09/26/2011, 03:50 PM
I'm taking some time before adding any fish to my 30g tank. I had a distastrous experience wherein I lost two fish (Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma) because of beginner's mistakes.

But during that process I noticed that the rather small, tank-bred clown was harrassing (not really biting or attacking) the basslet on a regular basis.

Is this because it has lived alone in the tank for several years? (I inherited this tank and I did rearrange the aquascaping before I added the fish)

Can you recommend a good fish that can hold it's own? Is that kind of behavior from the clown something that would dissipate after a while?

Would I be better off with a bottom / cave dweller such as a blenny or goby?

snorvich
09/26/2011, 03:52 PM
Ok, I have 36 gallon bow front tank with 30lbs of BR and 17lbs of LR cycling at the moment.

What I have for gear is:

Octopus HOB Skimmer BH-100
Two Koralia Evo 550's
AC 70 modded to a fuge - rubble rock is cycling as well - will have macro's too
RO/DI Water

Fish:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Royal Gamma
1 x Midas Blenny
1 x Mandarin (wishlist, don't know if my tank is too small)

Not really feasible. ORA mandarins have a poor track record, wild caught will starve

Inverts:
3 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Blood Fire Shrimp

I would like to have a mixed reef, mostly LPS, the ones that move with the current (sorry i'm new). I would like to have clams down the road.

I would appreciate a review of what I have.

I know I haven't listed a light yet but I've been looking at the 24" 6x24W Dimmable SunPower T5. I realize my tank is 30" wide but I have been unable to find a good fixture. Will this be too much for LPS? Also will it be not enough to support a clam?

This thread is about fish, compatibility with each other and the environment provided. As such I cannot give an opinion about lighting for LPS and clams. Try a separate thread in NTTH.

snorvich
09/26/2011, 03:54 PM

Sorry I missed this earlier. Only one pair of clowns per tank except in extremely large tanks.

snorvich
09/26/2011, 04:01 PM
You're a busy man SNORVICH!

Some days crazy busy

Could I get your opinion on the following list for a 150 gallon FOWLR? Thanks!

Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Canary Wrasse
Flame Angel
(1) Pair Perculas
Yellow Tang
Longnose Hawk
Bi-colored Blenny
Six-line Wrasse
Foxface

FYI...I already have an Imperator, a Blue tang and a FlameHawk established in the tank.

Hepatus tang? If so, will become cramped due to length of tank. Imperator will require a larger tank. Adding all those fish to existing fish will create a crowded looking tank with insufficient territories for those fish e.g. tangs and angels that require it. Also, too many grazers for your tank.

rich_one
09/26/2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,

New here. I posted in the newbie thread some light info on the setup I am acquiring. It is a 75 gallon setup with a sump, skimmer, 2 powerheads. Also has a nice amount of live rock... I'd say maybe 75 pounds or so? I plan to add more pieces slowly.

Here's the thing. I don't think I'm keeping the fish that are coming with it, other than the chromis. There is a white spot puffer, I think a rusty angel, maybe? I'm really sorry I cannot recall the names. The forum is down that has the info, and I cannot refer to it right now, and it escapes me. At any rate, my long term plan is to have both fish and critters, which figures to probably mean I have to let the puffer go at least. I want a community tank that has fish, shrimp, crabs and starfish, if possible. Maybe even some cool snails. And I plan to ease into some easy soft corals at some point, once I get the hang of things. All of that said, I'd need stock that is good for beginners. One must is some species of clown fish. I have always wanted one! LOL...

Anyway... stocking suggestions for a newbie? (Just fyi... I've been keeping freshwater tanks for over 20 years. So I am saltie newbie... not an aquarium newbie... though I know freshwater and saltwater are two different worlds!). Just wanted to put that out there.

Thanks for any and all info, suggestions and advice!

-Rich

Peedub20
09/26/2011, 08:29 PM
I have a 40 gallon tank with dimensions: 18" (l) x 20" (w)x 28" (h)

An Aqua C Remora skimmer and Fluval 305 cannister filter rated for 70 gallons. 40 lbs of live rock and 1" sandbed.

I have a wishlist of fish, however know that not all will work together and not all can be put in a 40 gallon together. Looking for some insight on the amount of fish I can have and which should be avoided. will possibly look into some corals at some point but at this time there are none. Looking at having some trochus snails along with a couple peppermint shrimp. I normally do 10-15% water changes weekly.

The wishlist:

Chalk Bass
Royal Gramma
Bangghai Cardinal
Occelaris Clown (mated pair)
Coral Beauty
Yellow tail damsel
Sixline Wrasse
BiColor Blenny
Randall's Goby
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
Fire Goby
Green Chromis
--------------------------

snorvich
09/26/2011, 08:33 PM
Hi,

New here. I posted in the newbie thread some light info on the setup I am acquiring. It is a 75 gallon setup with a sump, skimmer, 2 powerheads. Also has a nice amount of live rock... I'd say maybe 75 pounds or so? I plan to add more pieces slowly.

Here's the thing. I don't think I'm keeping the fish that are coming with it, other than the chromis. There is a white spot puffer, I think a rusty angel, maybe? I'm really sorry I cannot recall the names. The forum is down that has the info, and I cannot refer to it right now, and it escapes me. At any rate, my long term plan is to have both fish and critters, which figures to probably mean I have to let the puffer go at least. I want a community tank that has fish, shrimp, crabs and starfish, if possible. Maybe even some cool snails. And I plan to ease into some easy soft corals at some point, once I get the hang of things. All of that said, I'd need stock that is good for beginners. One must is some species of clown fish. I have always wanted one! LOL...

Anyway... stocking suggestions for a newbie? (Just fyi... I've been keeping freshwater tanks for over 20 years. So I am saltie newbie... not an aquarium newbie... though I know freshwater and saltwater are two different worlds!). Just wanted to put that out there.

Thanks for any and all info, suggestions and advice!

-Rich

Having 30 years of fresh water, I can tell you that most things do not translate into salt water. If you provide a stocking list I can comment on compatibility with your objectives.

snorvich
09/26/2011, 08:37 PM
I have a 40 gallon tank with dimensions: 18" (l) x 20" (w)x 28" (h)

An Aqua C Remora skimmer and Fluval 305 cannister filter rated for 70 gallons. 40 lbs of live rock and 1" sandbed.

I have a wishlist of fish, however know that not all will work together and not all can be put in a 40 gallon together. Looking for some insight on the amount of fish I can have and which should be avoided. will possibly look into some corals at some point but at this time there are none. Looking at having some trochus snails along with a couple peppermint shrimp. I normally do 10-15% water changes weekly.

The wishlist:

Chalk Bass
Royal Gramma
Bangghai Cardinal
Occelaris Clown (mated pair) These fish will control 25 gallons of tank space and will become aggressive
Coral Beauty
Yellow tail damsel Avoid
Sixline Wrasse Avoid
BiColor Blenny
Randall's Goby
Filamented Flasher Wrasse needs a larger tank
Fire Goby should be establish first
Green Chromis
--------------------------
Of the remainder, I think seven would be ok without the mated pair of clowns. The clownfish complicate matters

rich_one
09/26/2011, 08:48 PM
Having 30 years of fresh water, I can tell you that most things do not translate into salt water. If you provide a stocking list I can comment on compatibility with your objectives.

Ah... okay. Thanks.

I'll get everything setup and continue researching my fish options, and then go from there.

I will not be bothering with corals for a long time... if at all. I do want to start with fish, and some inverts... like peppermint shrimp, among others.

I'll let you know once I do a little more reading. Thanks for the reply!

-Rich

Castaign
09/26/2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry I missed this earlier. Only one pair of clowns per tank except in extremely large tanks.

Steve,

I was curious if you could provide some more information on where the cut off for this is (not specifically for my tank - after reviewing this thread for the last several months I've decided that clowns are not a good fit for my tank - but just for some more overall info from the experts). How big does a tank have to be before two pairs of clowns are feasible?

I know I've heard that clowns want to control around 25-30 gallons of volume per pair upon reaching maturity, but I'm not sure what that means in practical application. Obviously a 50-60 gallon is insufficient for two pairs, but what would be required, assuming that there were no other fish in the tank?

C

Peedub20
09/26/2011, 09:04 PM
Of the remainder, I think seven would be ok without the mated pair of clowns. The clownfish complicate matters

Thanks for the quick response.

Would the Bicolor, firefish, and Randall's Goby all be ok in the same tank together?

Castaign
09/26/2011, 09:23 PM
Steve,

I've been tuning up my stocking list as I gain more knowledge, and I wanted to run my most current plans by you to see what you thought.

The tank is a 150 gallon, 48" long, 24" wide, 30" deep. It is a mixed reef, with a combination of softies, SPS and LPS. The tank has a 24 gallon sump with producing 'fuge and has about 160 pound of live rock (fairly open placement with a lot of bridges, arches and hiding places and plenty of open water and open sand) and 100 pounds of sand. The system is now a little over four months old. I've replaced the glass canopy with homemade 1/4" nylon mesh since several of my desired fish are jumpers.

The following is my projected fish list:

2x Green Mandarins (mated pair - waiting several more months for the tank to mature further)
Scopas Tang
Yellow Assessor
Shrimp Goby (Wheeler's, Randall's or Yasha White)
3x Pearly Jawfish
3x Blue Flasher Wrasse (MFF)

I have several stocking questions:

1) The mandarins, shrimp goby and mandarins are all bottom dwelling fish - Do you foresee any issues with territory or space?

2) Are two Yellow Assessors a feasible possibility?

3) Given tank size and projected occupants, do I have the capacity and proper setup for a trio of chalk bass in addition to what I listed above?

Thanks as always for the info and expertise!

C

snorvich
09/27/2011, 05:27 AM
Steve,

I was curious if you could provide some more information on where the cut off for this is (not specifically for my tank - after reviewing this thread for the last several months I've decided that clowns are not a good fit for my tank - but just for some more overall info from the experts). How big does a tank have to be before two pairs of clowns are feasible?

I have a friend with a 500 gallon tank that had to remove one pair. I cannot say for sure when it would work.

I know I've heard that clowns want to control around 25-30 gallons of volume per pair upon reaching maturity, but I'm not sure what that means in practical application. Obviously a 50-60 gallon is insufficient for two pairs, but what would be required, assuming that there were no other fish in the tank?

You would need to create a situation where each clown pair had an anemone which hosted them AND where they would not see the other pair. It could be done, however.

C

snorvich
09/27/2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Would the Bicolor, firefish, and Randall's Goby all be ok in the same tank together?

I cannot say for sure. Firefish are easily intimidated and it is not always possible to determine if a fish will perceive them as a conspecific that impacts their ecological niche. Firefish are planktivores that normally "hang out" in their "territory."

snorvich
09/27/2011, 05:33 AM
Steve,

I've been tuning up my stocking list as I gain more knowledge, and I wanted to run my most current plans by you to see what you thought.

The tank is a 150 gallon, 48" long, 24" wide, 30" deep. It is a mixed reef, with a combination of softies, SPS and LPS. The tank has a 24 gallon sump with producing 'fuge and has about 160 pound of live rock (fairly open placement with a lot of bridges, arches and hiding places and plenty of open water and open sand) and 100 pounds of sand. The system is now a little over four months old. I've replaced the glass canopy with homemade 1/4" nylon mesh since several of my desired fish are jumpers.

The following is my projected fish list:

2x Green Mandarins (mated pair - waiting several more months for the tank to mature further)
Scopas Tang
Yellow Assessor
Shrimp Goby (Wheeler's, Randall's or Yasha White)
3x Pearly Jawfish
3x Blue Flasher Wrasse (MFF)

Looks good.

I have several stocking questions:

1) The mandarins, shrimp goby and mandarins are all bottom dwelling fish - Do you foresee any issues with territory or space?

Not at all. Mandarins go all over not just the bottom and are copepod eaters whereas the shrimp goby is a carnivore and will stay around home

2) Are two Yellow Assessors a feasible possibility?

Yes, and blue and yellow work too

3) Given tank size and projected occupants, do I have the capacity and proper setup for a trio of chalk bass in addition to what I listed above?

Yes.

Thanks as always for the info and expertise!

My pleasure

C

mdr11
09/27/2011, 08:39 PM
8 gallon tank with LR/LS. wish list: 1 Ocellaris, 1 emerald crabs, 2 porcelains crabs, 2 scarlet hermits, 3-4 peppermint shrimps, 1 banded coral shrimp, 4-5 snails. too much?

snorvich
09/27/2011, 09:18 PM
8 gallon tank with LR/LS. wish list: 1 Ocellaris, 1 emerald crabs, 2 porcelains crabs, 2 scarlet hermits, 3-4 peppermint shrimps, 1 banded coral shrimp, 4-5 snails. too much?

Not too much but banded coral shrimp and emerald crabs can take fish.

mdr11
09/27/2011, 09:29 PM
ok thanks for the info. will they also eat the peppermints?

snorvich
09/28/2011, 05:52 AM
ok thanks for the info. will they also eat the peppermints?

Potentially

bundybear1981
09/28/2011, 10:54 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of getting back into my salt water tanks again and was thinking of stocking the tank with :-

1 pair of false perculas
1 flame angel
2 bicolor cleaner wrasse
1 mandarin dragonette (in about 6 months)

1 bubble anemone
1 ritteri anemone
1 mushroom coral

a few sea snails

Refuge stocked with live rock, live sand (shallow bed) with some plant life

Tank Details---
Display tank - 48" x 18" x 20" (70 gallon)
Sump tank - 48" x 16" x 18" (approx 40 gallon) including 20 gallon refugeium
Live rock and sand (shallow sand beds)
Aqua One Proskim G224 skimmer

Lighting---
4 x T8 fittings,
(planning on fitting with
-1 marine glo
-2 power glo
-1 coralife
Would you change that lighting balance?)

Any feedback on stocking / set up would be greatly appricated

thanks,
Jason

snorvich
09/29/2011, 06:00 AM
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of getting back into my salt water tanks again and was thinking of stocking the tank with :-

1 pair of false perculas
1 flame angel
2 bicolor cleaner wrasse Why. Two will not get along, and clownfish will not allow cleaning
1 mandarin dragonette (in about 6 months)

1 bubble anemone
1 ritteri anemone
1 mushroom coral

a few sea snails

Refuge stocked with live rock, live sand (shallow bed) with some plant life

Tank Details---
Display tank - 48" x 18" x 20" (70 gallon)
Sump tank - 48" x 16" x 18" (approx 40 gallon) including 20 gallon refugeium
Live rock and sand (shallow sand beds)
Aqua One Proskim G224 skimmer

Lighting---
4 x T8 fittings,
(planning on fitting with
-1 marine glo
-2 power glo
-1 coralife
Would you change that lighting balance?)

Any feedback on stocking / set up would be greatly appricated

thanks,
Jason

A_Z
09/29/2011, 07:34 PM
I have a question about keeping anthias. I was wondering for a 75g tank could I keep a trio of Bicolor? Or maybe 4 female Lyretail (and maybe one will go male)?

if not can dissimilar anthias be kept in that tank for example a bicolor, lyretail and squareback?

also I have heard blue streak African cleaner wrasses are often kept successfully on a diet of prepared foods, is this even true? (not that I am going to keep one just curious)

snorvich
09/29/2011, 07:50 PM
I have a question about keeping anthias. I was wondering for a 75g tank could I keep a trio of Bicolor? Or maybe 4 female Lyretail (and maybe one will go male)?

Well for a group of anthias you really need a larger tank as they are swimmers

if not can dissimilar anthias be kept in that tank for example a bicolor, lyretail and squareback?

Same issue but you can mix some anthias.

also I have heard blue streak African cleaner wrasses are often kept successfully on a diet of prepared foods, is this even true? (not that I am going to keep one just curious)

I have one in each tank. But I do not think it is a good idea and would not do it again

schoi
09/29/2011, 10:48 PM
Tank details: 75g standard 20gL sump, skimmer, 2 power heads.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish / Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Firefish / Nemateleotris magnifica
1 Reef Chromis / Chromis viridis
1 Bartlett's Anthias / Pseudanthias bartlettorum
1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang / Ctenochaetus strigosus
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse / Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp / Lysmata debelius

Thanks!

Reefguy28
09/29/2011, 11:30 PM
Tank: 56g 30x18x24

Current fish
2 Clarkii clowns
bicolor dottyback

Wanted to know what would be best to add out of the following fish
blue green chromi
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby

snorvich
09/30/2011, 05:51 AM
Tank details: 75g standard 20gL sump, skimmer, 2 power heads.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish / Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Firefish / Nemateleotris magnifica Firefish, unless bonded, usually only do well as a single
1 Reef Chromis / Chromis viridis
1 Bartlett's Anthias / Pseudanthias bartlettorum
1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang / Ctenochaetus strigosus
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse / Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp / Lysmata debelius

Thanks!

snorvich
09/30/2011, 05:53 AM
Tank: 56g 30x18x24

Current fish
2 Clarkii clowns
bicolor dottyback Will not allow fairy or flasher wrasses so the goby becomes the "best"

Wanted to know what would be best to add out of the following fish
blue green chromi
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby

rich_one
09/30/2011, 03:21 PM
Okay... I've read and I've read. I've discussed and I've discussed. Time to try to put it to some kind of substance. The following is my first proposed stocking list and "can this work" question. Info about the setup first:

75g tank
Overflow box, u tube and w/d that sits in a 10g sump
Aqua sea remora hang on back protein skimmer
2 small powerheads
Heater
Live sand and approx 75-85 lbs of liverock

And now, proposed livestock:

Royal Gramma Basslet
5 Spotted Cardinalfish
5 Green Chromis
1 tankbred Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Purple Dottyback

Some sort of blenny or goby (which would you recommend)?

Group of 5 Peppermint shrimp

Some kind of snails... still researching this.

What other inverts can you recommend with this setup? Specifically, crabs other than arrow or hermit? What about starfish... looks like most might eat my peppermint shrimp? At the very least, I do plan to try mushrooms at some point, or some other very easy softie.

This is just a first draft... I'm not completely sold on this mix yet, even if it would work. Just feels like something is missing. Like it doesn't really have that "standout" fish in it. But this is the start, anyway.

Of course, I will not be adding all of these fish at once. Feedback and opinions? Thanks!

-Rich

snorvich
09/30/2011, 03:56 PM
Okay... I've read and I've read. I've discussed and I've discussed. Time to try to put it to some kind of substance. The following is my first proposed stocking list and "can this work" question. Info about the setup first:

75g tank
Overflow box, u tube and w/d that sits in a 10g sump Sounds a bit minimalistic for that sized tank and I do not like overflows which are siphon powered as they are risky.
Aqua sea remora hang on back protein skimmer
2 small powerheads
Heater Ideally on a controller as when they break, they almost always break in the on position
Live sand and approx 75-85 lbs of liverock

And now, proposed livestock:

Royal Gramma Basslet
5 Spotted Cardinalfish
5 Green Chromis will winnow themselves down to two or even just one
1 tankbred Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Purple Dottyback dottybacks, except P. fridmani are aggressive and will preclude other less aggressive choices

Some sort of blenny or goby (which would you recommend)?

Group of 5 Peppermint shrimp I recommend cleaners

Some kind of snails... still researching this.

What other inverts can you recommend with this setup? Specifically, crabs other than arrow or hermit?

I do not recommend crabs. Best to have a variety of snails
What about starfish... looks like most might eat my peppermint shrimp? At the very least, I do plan to try mushrooms at some point, or some other very easy softie.

Mini brittle stars. Mushrooms will take over your tank, be cautious unless you are certain you like mushrooms

This is just a first draft... I'm not completely sold on this mix yet, even if it would work. Just feels like something is missing. Like it doesn't really have that "standout" fish in it. But this is the start, anyway.

Of course, I will not be adding all of these fish at once. Feedback and opinions? Thanks!

-Rich

rich_one
09/30/2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks, snorvich... a few questions:

1. What type of filtration would you then recommend? Canister? Sump? I'll have to start with this, but maybe can upgrade it before I add fish.

2. 4 green chromis actually come with the tank already... so maybe I won't add the 5th, and I'll just see what happens with the 4 that are coming with the setup. Should I only school the cardinals, or can I school something else (suggestion)?

3. I am getting the peppermint shrimp primarily because I already know that the tank has a population of aips. After doing the research, I decided the peppermint shrimp were my preferred way of dealing with, and controlling them. Can I get both cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp?

4. Mini brittle stars it is. I do not want the mushrooms to take over the tank... some kinda polyp... button... better choice, iyo?

And finally...

5. Is there maybe another very showy fish I can add, that maybe I'm not thinking of, that you could point towards checking out?

Thanks for the great advice. I do really appreciate it.

-Rich

snorvich
09/30/2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks, snorvich... a few questions:

1. What type of filtration would you then recommend? Canister? Sump? I'll have to start with this, but maybe can upgrade it before I add fish.

This thread is about fish: compatibility with each other and the environment provided. Pose a separate question in New to the hobby and you should get a lot of help

2. 4 green chromis actually come with the tank already... so maybe I won't add the 5th, and I'll just see what happens with the 4 that are coming with the setup. Should I only school the cardinals, or can I school something else (suggestion)?

Well neither fish will actually school and your tank is not of a size to be trying to create shoals. Cardinals are primarily nocturnal and in the long run will pair up rather than shoal.

3. I am getting the peppermint shrimp primarily because I already know that the tank has a population of aips. After doing the research, I decided the peppermint shrimp were my preferred way of dealing with, and controlling them. Can I get both cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp?

You can get both. Peppermint shrimp may or may not help with aiptasia. Also be careful that you get true peppermints as there are similars being sold that are not reef safe

4. Mini brittle stars it is. I do not want the mushrooms to take over the tank... some kinda polyp... button... better choice, iyo?

Wait until you are farther along, then ask the question as a separate thread in NTTH

And finally...

5. Is there maybe another very showy fish I can add, that maybe I'm not thinking of, that you could point towards checking out?

Our tastes and budget differ, so I almost never recommend fish, but will comment on stocking lists

Thanks for the great advice. I do really appreciate it.

My pleasure

-Rich

snorvich
09/30/2011, 08:40 PM
Sorry, I think I missed this one

I'm taking some time before adding any fish to my 30g tank. I had a distastrous experience wherein I lost two fish (Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma) because of beginner's mistakes.

But during that process I noticed that the rather small, tank-bred clown was harrassing (not really biting or attacking) the basslet on a regular basis.

Is this because it has lived alone in the tank for several years? (I inherited this tank and I did rearrange the aquascaping before I added the fish)

It is because clowns get ornery/aggressive once they sexually differentiate and yours is likely now a female

Can you recommend a good fish that can hold it's own? Is that kind of behavior from the clown something that would dissipate after a while?

We don't really recommend fish as our tastes and budgets are likely different. We can comment on your choices, however

Would I be better off with a bottom / cave dweller such as a blenny or goby?

Assuming sand, a shrimp goby pair is always interesting

A_Z
09/30/2011, 08:43 PM
alright I should be fine with one anthias then right?

which is the hardiest and most suitable to my tank (75g), Bartletts, Squareback, Lyretail or Bicolor?

snorvich
10/01/2011, 05:44 AM
alright I should be fine with one anthias then right?

which is the hardiest and most suitable to my tank (75g), Bartletts, Squareback, Lyretail or Bicolor?

One is fine. Lyretail or Bartletts.

timskloss
10/01/2011, 09:28 AM
Time to add more life to my 100 gal corner tank. My 120# of LR I cured back in May has exploded with interesting life including tiny soft corals, tube worms and sponges. I don't want newbies to eat this stuff, only the little tufts of green and red hair algae.

I want a peaceful tank and so far have 3 chromis, 2 ocillaris and a maroon clown that lives in a 8 inch wide GBTA. Snails include nassarius and Cerith. No new guys in two months and tank chemistry is good.

Would any of the following break the peace or eat the furniture?

Snowflake eel
Reef lobster
Cleaner shrimp
Flame angel
Brittle star

Thanks for all your great advice!

snorvich
10/01/2011, 09:58 AM
Time to add more life to my 100 gal corner tank. My 120# of LR I cured back in May has exploded with interesting life including tiny soft corals, tube worms and sponges. I don't want newbies to eat this stuff, only the little tufts of green and red hair algae.

I want a peaceful tank and so far have 3 chromis, 2 ocillaris and a maroon clown that lives in a 8 inch wide GBTA.

Three clowns will not survive long term in a 100 gallon tank

Snails include nassarius and Cerith. No new guys in two months and tank chemistry is good.

Would any of the following break the peace or eat the furniture?

Snowflake eel Not for a peaceful tank
Reef lobster Not reef safe
Cleaner shrimp Excellent
Flame angel Not LPS safe
Brittle star Mini brittle stars are excellent, green brittle stars eat fish

Thanks for all your great advice!

Sanveann
10/01/2011, 10:30 AM
Hi, Steve! Thanks for the great thread -- I've learned so much :)

We are still in the inverts-only stage of our tank, but are hoping to get a plan together for our fish. This is what we're thinking:

* One yellow watchman goby
* One or two ocellaris clowns (not sure if it's best to have a pair, or just to keep one)
* One flasher wrasse (recommendations welcome, if you have a preference)
* One foxface lo
* One royal gramma

Tank is 75G, Octopus Reef BH1000 skimmer, no sump (hoping to add one later), about 65 pounds of live rock and 3" of sand. No corals as of yet, but hoping to add them down the road, once we get more experienced. Current residents are one emerald crab, one peppermint shrimp, and a handful of nassarius and tiger trochus snails.

I'd also appreciate any advice you have on the order we should add our fish in :)

snorvich
10/01/2011, 11:58 AM
Hi, Steve! Thanks for the great thread -- I've learned so much :)

Terrific, that is why we do this

We are still in the inverts-only stage of our tank, but are hoping to get a plan together for our fish. This is what we're thinking:

* One yellow watchman goby
* One or two ocellaris clowns (not sure if it's best to have a pair, or just to keep one)
* One flasher wrasse (recommendations welcome, if you have a preference)

Well, I like them all so whichever appearance appeals, that is what you should select. You have room for a pair if you can acquire a female

* One foxface lo
* One royal gramma

I think your list is fine. Foxface need to be well fed or they can be non reef safe

Tank is 75G, Octopus Reef BH1000 skimmer, no sump (hoping to add one later), about 65 pounds of live rock and 3" of sand. No corals as of yet, but hoping to add them down the road, once we get more experienced. Current residents are one emerald crab, one peppermint shrimp, and a handful of nassarius and tiger trochus snails.

I am not big on any crabs. Crabs can get large and become interest in fish. Even small hermits can kill snails for their shells

I'd also appreciate any advice you have on the order we should add our fish in :)

Foxface last. If you do two clowns, next to last; however the downside to two clowns is that sexually mature pairs are aggressive. Also you might consider cleaner shrimp as they clean up food well.

Sanveann
10/01/2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Steve! So do you prefer just one clown, then? And if we just get one, does order matter much?

I'm thinking going something like this:

1. Goby
2. Clown (we have three little kids who desperately want a Nemo!)
3. Gramma
4. Wrasse(s)
5. Foxface

The crab is super tiny ... we plan to keep a close eye on him and possibly put him in the sump/fuge when we get one, if he becomes a problem. My husband just had his heart set on him, which is why I caved, and I have to admit he's a cute little guy. :)

We do plan on adding more of a CuC ... a few more snails and some cleaner shrimp as well. They will get along with our peppermint, won't they? (Very fond of him, as he's taken out our aiptasia as soon as they cropped up!)

unfamous
10/01/2011, 01:28 PM
Okay, gimmie so ideas!

90 gal, FOWLR, 3" sand base, 50 lbs mixed LR, 30 lbs dry rock, 12"x30"x8" deep sump with LR in sump. Tank is in cycle but figured I'd start looking around for ideas.

I would like 2 small Clowns to start with. I understand they stay near the bottom. Not real sure what else. Maybe a mid depth fish and a top dweller. Really only want about 5 fish in the tank anyway. I saw a Foxface that looked kinda neat and they claim its a peacefull fish. NO FIGHTING IN MY TANK!!! Maybe a RS Tang? I'll have a cucumber or two and maybe a peppermint shrimp or 3 as well a snails for a CUC.

Please offer suggestions and reasoning.

THANKS!

KendallC
10/01/2011, 03:03 PM
I have a 55gal and plan on getting a snowflake eel, yellow tang, 2 ocellaris clowns,one firefish,one blue/green reef chromis, a tiger striped sea star,3 turbo snails,some shrimp and some hermit crabs.

snorvich
10/01/2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Steve! So do you prefer just one clown, then? And if we just get one, does order matter much?

I'm thinking going something like this:

1. Goby
2. Clown (we have three little kids who desperately want a Nemo!)
3. Gramma
4. Wrasse(s)
5. Foxface

That order is fine. One clown is better than two especially if only to keep your kids happy (just don't think about Dory)

The crab is super tiny ... we plan to keep a close eye on him and possibly put him in the sump/fuge when we get one, if he becomes a problem. My husband just had his heart set on him, which is why I caved, and I have to admit he's a cute little guy. :)

We do plan on adding more of a CuC ... a few more snails and some cleaner shrimp as well. They will get along with our peppermint, won't they? (Very fond of him, as he's taken out our aiptasia as soon as they cropped up!)

Yes, cleaner shrimp should not even notice peppermints

snorvich
10/01/2011, 03:22 PM
Okay, gimmie so ideas!

90 gal, FOWLR, 3" sand base, 50 lbs mixed LR, 30 lbs dry rock, 12"x30"x8" deep sump with LR in sump. Tank is in cycle but figured I'd start looking around for ideas.

I would like 2 small Clowns to start with. I understand they stay near the bottom. Not real sure what else. Maybe a mid depth fish and a top dweller. Really only want about 5 fish in the tank anyway. I saw a Foxface that looked kinda neat and they claim its a peacefull fish. NO FIGHTING IN MY TANK!!! Maybe a RS Tang? I'll have a cucumber or two and maybe a peppermint shrimp or 3 as well a snails for a CUC.

Please offer suggestions and reasoning.

THANKS!

RS Tang? (what is that?) If you mean a hepatus tang, you would need a much larger tank. We don't do suggestions as your taste and budget are not the same as ours.

unfamous
10/01/2011, 04:20 PM
Okay, RS as described on various online stores including sponsors here means REEF SAFE or docile, non aggressive. I have read many of the posts pertaining to what some conceder too small of a tank. I do subscribe to this, but nearly all of the mentioned online stores suggest that some do quite well in 90 gallon tanks. I understand you reasoning and I WILL keep this in mind when it comes time to decide. Most of the books I have read also state a 90 as a minimum size for them.

I also find it hard to believe that no one offers suggestions no matter cost or taste. This site it full of just that. Buy this pump/powerhead/whatever because it's the best is in nearly every thread. I came here asking what you folks with experience suggest because I don't want to make a mistake and kill a living creature or combine some that might harm each other. I will make my own choice and won't bother asking you again. Thanks.

snorvich
10/01/2011, 05:57 PM
Okay, RS as described on various online stores including sponsors here means REEF SAFE or docile, non aggressive. I have read many of the posts pertaining to what some conceder too small of a tank. I do subscribe to this, but nearly all of the mentioned online stores suggest that some do quite well in 90 gallon tanks. I understand you reasoning and I WILL keep this in mind when it comes time to decide. Most of the books I have read also state a 90 as a minimum size for them.

RS used in "reef safe" is not common usage. And by the way reef safe and docile are no way synonymous. Online stores sell fish, we do not. Closest to being accurate about tank size is Drs. Foster and Smith.

I also find it hard to believe that no one offers suggestions no matter cost or taste. This site it full of just that. Buy this pump/powerhead/whatever because it's the best is in nearly every thread. I came here asking what you folks with experience suggest because I don't want to make a mistake and kill a living creature or combine some that might harm each other. I will make my own choice and won't bother asking you again. Thanks.

I buy top of the line equipment, most people do not. I also have fish that cost 4 figures, most do not. And finally I have about 1000 gallons of tank space, most do not. Many people will suggest "buy this or buy that" but you need to understand their perspective in suggesting X or Y.

And finally, lose the attitude. I am (was) trying to help you.

snorvich
10/01/2011, 06:15 PM
I have a 55gal and plan on getting a snowflake eel, yellow tang, 2 ocellaris clowns,one firefish,one blue/green reef chromis, a tiger striped sea star,3 turbo snails,some shrimp and some hermit crabs.

That is way too much bioload for that tank size. Also a tang or eel of that size will not do well in that sized tank. Sea stars will starve in that sized tank.

pickles1994
10/02/2011, 07:13 AM
Hey everyone
I have only just started my marine tank 4 days ago, i need some advice on what type of fish species i should get, could you please look at this video of my tank and let me know what fish would be suitable thanks :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2Qjji9NeE

unfamous
10/02/2011, 07:34 AM
Not going to get into a flame match. I came hear to learn how not to make mistakes. You showed me an attitude I simply reciprocated. This isn't my first forum. My post count may be low and my lowly 90 gallon tank may not excite you. You assume that others don't buy good equipment and that they can't afford your extravigant tastes. Just because someone is just starting doesn't mean they are complete idiots or poor or trying to cut corners. FWIW, Fosters and Smith use the term "reef safe" and the last time I looked they set a minimum tank size for the fish in question as 90 gallons.

Goodbye

snorvich
10/02/2011, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone
I have only just started my marine tank 4 days ago, i need some advice on what type of fish species i should get, could you please look at this video of my tank and let me know what fish would be suitable thanks :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2Qjji9NeE

This thread is about fish compatibility with each other and with the environment provided. We do not make recommendations because our taste and budget will not coincide

snorvich
10/02/2011, 10:10 AM
Not going to get into a flame match. I came hear to learn how not to make mistakes. You showed me an attitude I simply reciprocated. This isn't my first forum. My post count may be low and my lowly 90 gallon tank may not excite you. You assume that others don't buy good equipment and that they can't afford your extravigant tastes. Just because someone is just starting doesn't mean they are complete idiots or poor or trying to cut corners. FWIW, Fosters and Smith use the term "reef safe" and the last time I looked they set a minimum tank size for the fish in question as 90 gallons.

Goodbye

This particular thread provides information about fish compatibility with each other (according to whatever stocking list you provide) and with the environment you provide. There are many other places on RC to get opinions and recommendations; those are discussion threads, this one is not.

Dr. Foster and Smith does not use the abbreviation of "RS" although they do use terms "Reef Safe" and "Reef Safe with Caution.

There will be no flame wars. We simply do not tolerate that on this board and if you want to do that I suggest patronizing another board. I did not give you attitude, I simply tried to explain the purpose of this particular thread. And I definitely suggest that going to a different thread would be best for you. You seem to be looking for trouble, so you might reexamine how you come across.

A_Z
10/02/2011, 05:20 PM
thanks I think this is my final list. 75g w/20g sump/Refugium

added in order

Blue/Green Chromis
Occ Clown (False Perc)
Yellow Clown Goby
Lyretail anthias
Flame Wrasse Terminal male
Lineatus Wrasse Terminal male
Spotted Mandarin (once mature)*
Marginalis Butterflyfish (once mature 6 months +)**
Kole or similar small peaceful tang

Inverts: (not really a mixed reef just some easy corals might as well)
Leather Coral
Clove Coral
Hawaiian Feather Duster
Cleaner Shrimp
CUC

*I know an importer for the Marginalis Butterflyfish who gets these, which is great news, true no butterfly is not truely really reef safe but hopefully this one won't nip as I have heard they are generally fine for non stony reefs or non meaty corals
**Is it ok to have this and the mandarin? How much LR to sustain both do you think it would take?

thank you :)

liamblair1987
10/02/2011, 07:42 PM
Hey guys... currently running with a 500Litre main tank with a 80Litre sump. about 100 + Kilograms liverock.

Stocking at the moment
- 1 x Strawberry dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus)
- 3 x Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera cyanea)
- 1 x Blue Linckia Star (Linckia laevigata)
- 1 x Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa (Blastomussa wellsi)

The tank has been running just over 8 months and the fish and blasto are doing quite nicely..i just want to go with the less is more approach and focus on making sure i can control all fish in the tank instead of having too many fish and losing control on each individual and there requirements for healthy living.

I'm at a crossroads as to whether maintain fish only or start loading more corals/inverts.

so stocking wish list comprises of
- 1 x Flame angel (Centropyge loriculus)
- 1 x Niger trigger ( Odonus niger) or Picasso trigger (Rhinecanthus aculeatus)
- 2/3 x Auriga Butterfly (Chaetodon auriga)or Double Saddle Butterfly (Chaetodon ulietensis) or Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
- 1 x Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
- 1 x Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhitus armatus)
- 1 x Random Nudibranch
- 1 x Australian Sea Apple (Pseudocolochirus axilogus)
- 1 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

I understand the angel/butterfly/trigger combos mean the chances of having any sort of corals go out the window. Is there any possible way to keep snails/shrimp and corals with these guys without them getting chomped on?

Actively making sure all fish are fed properly, will they still naturally go and chew on these guys? (i would love some sort of cleaner shrimp)

Is this amount of fish way too many for this size tank?

Will the Blenny and Hawkfish be able to hold there own with all fish in this tank?

Are Hermit crabs too aggressive as a cleanup alternative? even in this size tank? will they become a snack for a trigger?

Thanks for all your input! :)

M88A2
10/02/2011, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to run my revised stock list to see if it will work and also if there is an order inwhich i should add them. I have a 75g with 20g sump/fuge.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellowfin flasher wrasse
1 mcoskers flasher wrasse
1 dot and dash flasher wrasse
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 filamented flasher wrasse
1 rose velvet fairy wrasse
1 pink margin fairy wrasse
1 lubbocks fairy wrasse
1 blue head fairy wrasse

It seems like it might be too many fish to me but a fellow reefer told me it was ok

snorvich
10/03/2011, 05:19 AM
thanks I think this is my final list. 75g w/20g sump/Refugium

added in order

Blue/Green Chromis
Occ Clown (False Perc)
Yellow Clown Goby
Lyretail anthias
Flame Wrasse Terminal male
Lineatus Wrasse Terminal male
Spotted Mandarin (once mature)*
Marginalis Butterflyfish (once mature 6 months +)**
Kole or similar small peaceful tang

Inverts: (not really a mixed reef just some easy corals might as well)
Leather Coral
Clove Coral
Hawaiian Feather Duster
Cleaner Shrimp
CUC

*I know an importer for the Marginalis Butterflyfish who gets these, which is great news, true no butterfly is not truely really reef safe but hopefully this one won't nip as I have heard they are generally fine for non stony reefs or non meaty corals
**Is it ok to have this and the mandarin? How much LR to sustain both do you think it would take?

thank you :)

I think it is pretty good. Maybe a bit heavy with larger fish for that sized tank. C. Marginalis are excellent fish but be sure to get a healthy one and QT.

snorvich
10/03/2011, 05:27 AM
Hey guys... currently running with a 500Litre main tank with a 80Litre sump. about 100 + Kilograms liverock.

Stocking at the moment
- 1 x Strawberry dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus) Potentially very aggressive to newcomers
- 3 x Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera cyanea) Again, very aggressive to new fish
- 1 x Blue Linckia Star (Linckia laevigata)
- 1 x Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa (Blastomussa wellsi)

The tank has been running just over 8 months and the fish and blasto are doing quite nicely..i just want to go with the less is more approach and focus on making sure i can control all fish in the tank instead of having too many fish and losing control on each individual and there requirements for healthy living.

I'm at a crossroads as to whether maintain fish only or start loading more corals/inverts.

so stocking wish list comprises of
- 1 x Flame angel (Centropyge loriculus)
- 1 x Niger trigger ( Odonus niger) or Picasso trigger (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) Can be peaceful or aggressive, but more likely the latter. Gets to be large
- 2/3 x Auriga Butterfly (Chaetodon auriga)or Double Saddle Butterfly (Chaetodon ulietensis) or Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)

Definitely not reef safe, and must be quarantined

- 1 x Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
- 1 x Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhitus armatus) Great fish but not shrimp safe
- 1 x Random Nudibranch Which eats what?
- 1 x Australian Sea Apple (Pseudocolochirus axilogus) Difficult to feed and potentially toxic with triggers
- 1 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius) Not safe with a red flame hawk

I understand the angel/butterfly/trigger combos mean the chances of having any sort of corals go out the window. Is there any possible way to keep snails/shrimp and corals with these guys without them getting chomped on?

Probably not

Actively making sure all fish are fed properly, will they still naturally go and chew on these guys? (i would love some sort of cleaner shrimp)

Is this amount of fish way too many for this size tank?

When you put large fish such as a trigger in a smaller tank, the tank will look crowded. But even from a bioload perspective you are running a bit high

Will the Blenny and Hawkfish be able to hold there own with all fish in this tank?

Yes

Are Hermit crabs too aggressive as a cleanup alternative? even in this size tank? will they become a snack for a trigger?

Probably. I prefer all snails and shrimp but you have fish which preclude shrimp

Thanks for all your input! :)

snorvich
10/03/2011, 05:30 AM
Just wanted to run my revised stock list to see if it will work and also if there is an order inwhich i should add them. I have a 75g with 20g sump/fuge.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellowfin flasher wrasse
1 mcoskers flasher wrasse
1 dot and dash flasher wrasse
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 filamented flasher wrasse
1 rose velvet fairy wrasse
1 pink margin fairy wrasse Aggressive
1 lubbocks fairy wrasse
1 blue head fairy wrasse Aggressive, not recommended

It seems like it might be too many fish to me but a fellow reefer told me it was ok

Yes, in my opinion it is too many fish for your sized tank. If you subtract the aggressive fairy wrasses you should be ok.

cincyjim
10/03/2011, 05:54 AM
Is it possible to have a blue hippo, a coral beauty, and a foxface in the same tank? The only future fish I plan to add would be a clown and a couple of small non-aggressive fish.

Currently I have:
1 blue hippo,
1 coral beauty,
1 Lawnmower blenney,
hermit crabs and snails,
1 emerald crab,
2 cleaner shrimp,
3 peppermint shrimp.

75 gallon (about 8 weeks old)
live rock and sand
20 gallon sump

Thanks!
Jim

snorvich
10/03/2011, 07:30 AM
Is it possible to have a blue hippo, a coral beauty, and a foxface in the same tank? The only future fish I plan to add would be a clown and a couple of small non-aggressive fish.

Currently I have:
1 blue hippo, Well this fish really needs a 10 foot tank, it grows to one foot and becomes progressively aggressive
1 coral beauty,
1 Lawnmower blenney,
hermit crabs and snails,
1 emerald crab,
2 cleaner shrimp,
3 peppermint shrimp.

live rock and sand
20 gallon sump

Thanks!

I don't see a problem with a foxface and coral beauty, but the hepatus tang is a problem

Jim

snorvich
10/03/2011, 07:54 AM
live rock and sand
20 gallon sump

Thanks!
Jim

I noticed your tank age and stocking level. I think you need to go slower. Also, Hepatus tangs are ich magnets so I hope you quarantined it.

cincyjim
10/03/2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot on the forum here that patience is the key to success with salt water tanks. I'll wait awhile before picking one up. Any idea/best guess how long I should wait to put another fish in the tank?

snorvich
10/03/2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot on the forum here that patience is the key to success with salt water tanks. I'll wait awhile before picking one up. Any idea/best guess how long I should wait to put another fish in the tank?

Given that you do not quarantine (although we recommend that you do) I would suggest six weeks in between fish to make sure that there are no issues with the existing embedded base

cincyjim
10/03/2011, 01:36 PM
I didn't quarantine as you had stated and I honestly didn't know I was supposed to. Of course after the fact is always too late but I did learn a lesson and luckily it wasn't at the expense of any fish. I do appreciate the advice and as hard as it will be, I will wait on adding another fish.

snorvich
10/03/2011, 01:46 PM
I didn't quarantine as you had stated and I honestly didn't know I was supposed to. Of course after the fact is always too late but I did learn a lesson and luckily it wasn't at the expense of any fish. I do appreciate the advice and as hard as it will be, I will wait on adding another fish.

I have been there and it is not easy doing the right thing. There are some stickies in this forum that are useful to you or you can read some of my blog entries for additional information.

liamblair1987
10/03/2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the input. I think ill just scrap the idea with triggers go with some butterfly 2 or 3? the blenny and hawkfish...and have a think about the flame angel and chuck some snails in there aswell. is that revised list a better option bioload wise?

snorvich
10/04/2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the input. I think ill just scrap the idea with triggers go with some butterfly 2 or 3? the blenny and hawkfish...and have a think about the flame angel and chuck some snails in there aswell. is that revised list a better option bioload wise?

Yes, that would help a lot.

cincyjim
10/04/2011, 06:13 AM
Any suggestions of what I could put in with the blue hippo or is it too late at this point? Thanks.

snorvich
10/04/2011, 08:08 AM
Any suggestions of what I could put in with the blue hippo or is it too late at this point? Thanks.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to give advice once a fish is in the tank. So sorry. That is why the thread is about checking BEFORE adding a fish

ufgators2k
10/04/2011, 12:52 PM
I have a 75g Reef Tank, 10g Sump (building a 29g w/ refug. soon), 70lbs Live Rock (waiting on more), with the following inhabitants:

Fish
2 clowns
1 Yellow Watchman
1 Sleeper Blue Dot Goby
3 Firefish
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 Sailfin Tang

Coral
Frogspawn, Ricordia, Maze Brain, Star Polyp, Zoos

I want to add a Flame Angel and I have thought about adding a Foxface as well. Thoughts?

snorvich
10/04/2011, 01:55 PM
I have a 75g Reef Tank, 10g Sump (building a 29g w/ refug. soon), 70lbs Live Rock (waiting on more), with the following inhabitants:

Fish
2 clowns
1 Yellow Watchman
1 Sleeper Blue Dot Goby
3 Firefish Firefish do not do well long term as multiples except as bonded pairs
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 Sailfin Tang Your tank is not large enough for this fish

Coral
Frogspawn, Ricordia, Maze Brain, Star Polyp, Zoos

I want to add a Flame Angel and I have thought about adding a Foxface as well. Thoughts?

A flame angel may be fine, a second large fish will not

Mylilreef
10/04/2011, 04:06 PM
in the next month or so i will have my 150g mixed reef (very few if any SPS) tank with 30g sump up & running along with a separate 20g tall. everything from my current 55g, 30g tank (to be made into the sump), & fish from my quarantine/kenya tree forrest, lol (i know if i ever have to medicate they will be gone, but no big loss) will be transfered over. about 200lb of live rock and about 100lb of live sand.

so i have 2 setups and lists with the ability to kind of move things around.

current fish in quarantine:
1 pair of ORA Spotcinctus (A. bicinctus) - I do believe they are a mated pair as they were purchased at the LFS as the only two ordered in, were maybe 1" at time of purchase, have been in the same quarantine together for almost 6 months, and are showing what looks to me like mating behavior? I don't know for sure as i have never before had a pair of clowns until these two.

current fish in 30g:
1 sixline wrasse
1 very large 4-stripe damsel (he's going to be a sump/refugium fish since i had to remove him from the 55g because of aggression issues)

contents of 55g:
1 ORA Ocellaris (been alone for over 7 years)
1 gold spotted rabbitfish
1 sailfin tang (these two are best buds & race eachother back & forth)
1 McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
1 Engineer Goby/Convict Blenny (guess it depends who you ask)

In the 150g i would like to put:
1 pair of ORA Spotcinctus
1 convict blenny
1 sailfin tang
1 mccokers flasher wrasse

things I would like to add:
my 1 sixline wrasse (not sure if he would get along with the mccoskers wrasse? introduced to the tank later?)
3 Royal Gramma (I've heard that they get along in multiples in a big enough tank, also not sure how they would do with the wrasses)
2 of these tangs (been looking at orange shoulder, naso, & atlantic blue)

the Ocellaris will be a resident of the 20g and if need be maybe 1 of the wrasses.

snorvich
10/04/2011, 06:35 PM
in the next month or so i will have my 150g mixed reef (very few if any SPS) tank with 30g sump up & running along with a separate 20g tall. everything from my current 55g, 30g tank (to be made into the sump), & fish from my quarantine/kenya tree forrest, lol (i know if i ever have to medicate they will be gone, but no big loss) will be transfered over. about 200lb of live rock and about 100lb of live sand.

so i have 2 setups and lists with the ability to kind of move things around.

current fish in quarantine:
1 pair of ORA Spotcinctus (A. bicinctus) - I do believe they are a mated pair as they were purchased at the LFS as the only two ordered in, were maybe 1" at time of purchase, have been in the same quarantine together for almost 6 months, and are showing what looks to me like mating behavior? I don't know for sure as i have never before had a pair of clowns until these two.

Most likely a bonded pair. Bonding behavior precedes mating. Looks like a shimmy which is submission behavior prior to bonding

current fish in 30g:
1 sixline wrasse
1 very large 4-stripe damsel (he's going to be a sump/refugium fish since i had to remove him from the 55g because of aggression issues)

contents of 55g:
1 ORA Ocellaris (been alone for over 7 years)
1 sailfin tang (these two are best buds & race eachother back & forth)
1 McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
1 Engineer Goby/Convict Blenny (guess it depends who you ask)

In the 150g i would like to put:
1 pair of ORA Spotcinctus
1 convict blenny
1 sailfin tang
1 mccokers flasher wrasse

things I would like to add:
my 1 sixline wrasse (not sure if he would get along with the mccoskers wrasse? introduced to the tank later?)

No. sixlines do not tolerate fairy or flasher wrasses

3 Royal Gramma (I've heard that they get along in multiples in a big enough tank, also not sure how they would do with the wrasses)

Should be no issue with your flasher

2 of these tangs (been looking at orange shoulder, naso, & atlantic blue)

Your tank is not large enough for any Naso species

the Ocellaris will be a resident of the 20g and if need be maybe 1 of the wrasses.

Multiham
10/04/2011, 06:58 PM
12 G JBJ Nano tank with lid
10 pounds live rock

Currently have a Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

Can I add a Yellowhead Jawfish?

Thanks!

snorvich
10/04/2011, 07:04 PM
12 G JBJ Nano tank with lid
10 pounds live rock

Currently have a Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

Can I add a Yellowhead Jawfish?

Thanks!

In your sized tank, it may be a problem because separation cannot be maintained. You might consider a firefish?

Peedub20
10/04/2011, 07:58 PM
Would a trio of scissortail dartfish work with a pair of firefish? Or are dartfish not able to be mixed?

The tank is a 40 gallon.

snorvich
10/04/2011, 09:18 PM
Would a trio of scissortail dartfish work with a pair of firefish? Or are dartfish not able to be mixed?

The tank is a 40 gallon.

If the firefish are truly paired rather than just two firefish, I think, you will be ok but I am NOT certain.

jamesbaur13
10/04/2011, 09:33 PM
Hey Steve,

I had a question for you regarding Anthias...

I have 3 juvenile Bartlett's (FFF) along with 3 Resplendent's (MFF) in a 120g.

I was thinking of adding 2 female (not completely sold on these due to them being semi-aggressive) Lyretail's.

Another question I had was, when intermixing species of Anthias will the dominant females of the various species switch to male, or will there be only 1 Anthias male?

Thanks Again... I very much appreciate the advice here. It's been a great help.

Peedub20
10/04/2011, 09:44 PM
If the firefish are truly paired rather than just two firefish, I think, you will be ok but I am NOT certain.

I purchased them from the Live Aquaria "Divers Den." So I am hoping they are paired as that was how they were labeled. They are in quarantine together now.

Mylilreef
10/04/2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the help & super quick response time!

Yeah the the pair of ORA Spotcinctus are doing the little shimmy dance, especially when it's lights out, they go down to their blue shroom and start "gettin' jiggy with it". then in the middle of the night they get cuddled so close together i've actually started looking for the other sucked to a powerhead or something. also the slightly more dominent one is now currently a little larger where as when I purchased them they were identical in size. (I'm guessing that's going to be the female of the pair).

yeah i think a small group of 3 Royal Grammas will look awesome together (or separated out, kinda up to them i guess. :) Just something you don't see everyday.

I'll ditch the idea of the Naso, kinda like the Orange Shoulder & Atlantic Blue tangs better anyways.

the 6-line wrasse will go into the 20g setup with the Ocellaris. I'll probably put something simple in with them like a couple of neon gobies or something along those lines.

Thanks again for the help.

snorvich
10/05/2011, 05:20 AM
Hey Steve,

I had a question for you regarding Anthias...

I have 3 juvenile Bartlett's (FFF) along with 3 Resplendent's (MFF) in a 120g.

I was thinking of adding 2 female (not completely sold on these due to them being semi-aggressive) Lyretail's.

I personally am not keen about lyretails because they tend to be more aggressive. You might consider carberryi

Another question I had was, when intermixing species of Anthias will the dominant females of the various species switch to male, or will there be only 1 Anthias male?

You may end up with one or more than one male. Males tend to "herd females" to stop them from changing so you could have only one male or you may have more.

Thanks Again... I very much appreciate the advice here. It's been a great help.

snorvich
10/05/2011, 05:22 AM
I purchased them from the Live Aquaria "Divers Den." So I am hoping they are paired as that was how they were labeled. They are in quarantine together now.

Then your odds of bonded are excellent. Given a suitable environment, they may progress to mating

snorvich
10/05/2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the help & super quick response time!

Yeah the the pair of ORA Spotcinctus are doing the little shimmy dance, especially when it's lights out, they go down to their blue shroom and start "gettin' jiggy with it". then in the middle of the night they get cuddled so close together i've actually started looking for the other sucked to a powerhead or something. also the slightly more dominent one is now currently a little larger where as when I purchased them they were identical in size. (I'm guessing that's going to be the female of the pair).

yeah i think a small group of 3 Royal Grammas will look awesome together (or separated out, kinda up to them i guess. :) Just something you don't see everyday.

I'll ditch the idea of the Naso, kinda like the Orange Shoulder & Atlantic Blue tangs better anyways.

the 6-line wrasse will go into the 20g setup with the Ocellaris. I'll probably put something simple in with them like a couple of neon gobies or something along those lines.

Thanks again for the help.

Good strategy, I think. Good luck with the grammas, I have heard of folks doing this but have not tried it myself (yet)

Michelle S
10/05/2011, 04:37 PM
Hi, my 28 gal JBJ LED has been up and running for 9 months. I have 1 2" clown fish I am babysitting for someone, a pair of yellow gobies with a tiger pistol shrimp, two red bubble tipped anemones (one split several months ago), a couple of zoas, frogspawn, and CUC. I am looking at a saphire damselfish on diver's den. It is so beautiful. Would it work in my tank?

Michelle S
10/05/2011, 04:37 PM
Hi, my 28 gal JBJ LED has been up and running for 9 months. I have 1 2" clown fish I am babysitting for someone, a pair of yellow gobies with a tiger pistol shrimp, two red bubble tipped anemones (one split several months ago), a couple of zoas, frogspawn, and CUC. I am looking at a saphire damselfish on diver's den. It is so beautiful. Would it work in my tank?
I mean a 2" clownfish...

snorvich
10/05/2011, 04:47 PM
I mean a 2" clownfish...

Yes, it would work. Remember if you ever try to pair your (now female) clownfish, you need to get a tiny one.

Michelle S
10/05/2011, 05:00 PM
Yes, it would work. Remember if you ever try to pair your (now female) clownfish, you need to get a tiny one.

Actually the clownfish is about 4 1/2". It's a McCulloch female I'm keeping until the male recuperates from her bullying. Here's a photo. So maybe I should wait until she is gone? She is so aggressive.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3940&pictureid=36040

snorvich
10/05/2011, 08:31 PM
Actually the clownfish is about 4 1/2". It's a McCulloch female I'm keeping until the male recuperates from her bullying. Here's a photo. So maybe I should wait until she is gone? She is so aggressive.

Yes, that species is aggressive but how did you happen to have a pair of McCulloch?

snorvich
10/05/2011, 08:33 PM

That clown will not allow addition of a damsel.

Peedub20
10/06/2011, 08:11 AM
Would a pair of African Flameback Angels work in a 40 gallon tank with a pair of firefish? Dimensions 20" (w) x 18" (l)x 28" (h).

Will likely be adding a couple neon gobies and a gramma to the tank at a later date..

snorvich
10/06/2011, 01:40 PM
Would a pair of African Flameback Angels work in a 40 gallon tank with a pair of firefish? Dimensions 20" (w) x 18" (l)x 28" (h).

Will likely be adding a couple neon gobies and a gramma to the tank at a later date..

If you can get a bonded pair of firefish AND you can pair those angels (might be tough in that sized tank you may be fine. Remember angels are grazers and you have a smallish tank.

reefinquisitive
10/06/2011, 11:33 PM
i am planning on putting together a 180g reef tank in the future. it will have 360lbs of live rock 180lbs of live sand a refuge and a skimmer also am thinking about a calcium reactor as well so i had some ideas of what id like to stock in it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

well here goes the list:

1 hippo tang
1 naso tang
1 foxface
4 false perculas
4-5 purple queen anthias

would like to have if possible
1 lawnmower blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 red lipped blenny

not sure if blennys and gobys mix but if they do

1 watchman goby or a manaderian goby will be stocking the fuge with pods and chateau

would also love to try some soft corals suggestions here would be great

also would like to put some bubble tipped anemone in the tank as well

later on down the line possibly a sand-sifting starfish as well

if possible a urchin as well but it may be a case of to many stinging cells animals in one tank

like i said any suggestion will be greatly appreciated as i am new to the saltwater world have kept african cichlids for about 6 years now so i have a general idea on how to buffer the water if needed

snorvich
10/07/2011, 05:36 AM
i am planning on putting together a 180g reef tank in the future. it will have 360lbs of live rock 180lbs of live sand a refuge and a skimmer also am thinking about a calcium reactor as well so i had some ideas of what id like to stock in it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

well here goes the list:

1 hippo tang Really needs a 10 foot tank
1 naso tang Same
1 foxface
4 false perculas Only two clownfish per tank
4-5 purple queen anthias Expert level fish not recommended

would like to have if possible
1 lawnmower blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 red lipped blenny

not sure if blennys and gobys mix but if they do

1 watchman goby or a manaderian goby will be stocking the fuge with pods and chateau

Mandarin requires a mature tank, wait about six months

would also love to try some soft corals suggestions here would be great

also would like to put some bubble tipped anemone in the tank as well

later on down the line possibly a sand-sifting starfish as well

Will starve long term

if possible a urchin as well but it may be a case of to many stinging cells animals in one tank

like i said any suggestion will be greatly appreciated as i am new to the saltwater world have kept african cichlids for about 6 years now so i have a general idea on how to buffer the water if needed

pickles1994
10/07/2011, 07:53 PM
I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank, i have just gotten my ammonia to zero and the nitrate is almost at zero as well,
I have 10kg of live sand and 7kg of live rock, I have a waterflow pump which is creating alost of flow within the tank.
I was wanting to get 2x clown fish, 2x dartfish and really wanted to get blue tangs but realised my tank is too small, so i was thinking of getting 2x dwarf angles, are these fish good choices or am i getting too many fish for the size of my tank?

snorvich
10/07/2011, 08:38 PM
I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank, i have just gotten my ammonia to zero and the nitrate is almost at zero as well,
I have 10kg of live sand and 7kg of live rock, I have a waterflow pump which is creating alost of flow within the tank.
I was wanting to get 2x clown fish, 2x dartfish and really wanted to get blue tangs but realised my tank is too small, so i was thinking of getting 2x dwarf angles, are these fish good choices or am i getting too many fish for the size of my tank?

Six is too many fish for your sized tank. If you get clowns, you can ONLY have clowns because when they mature they will take over the tank. Tangs will not work, dwarf angels will not work because they graze and your tank is not large enough. Firefish or dartfish will work but not as pairs unless they are bonded. Shrimp goby combinations will work.

reefinquisitive
10/08/2011, 05:04 AM
OK so what you're saying in the 2 tangs may not work in a tank this size do you have any other suggestions

OK ill forget about the sand sifting starfish

as far as the anthies what would you suggest in their place

and any ideas on good coral for beginners?

this tank is just a dream at the moment so i'm just bouncing around ideas to see what i should try to work with

once again thanks for your advice its very much appreciated

snorvich
10/08/2011, 05:24 AM
OK so what you're saying in the 2 tangs may not work in a tank this size do you have any other suggestions

OK ill forget about the sand sifting starfish

as far as the anthies what would you suggest in their place

Resplendent or carberryi

and any ideas on good coral for beginners?

this tank is just a dream at the moment so i'm just bouncing around ideas to see what i should try to work with

For ideas, general questions, or suggestions about fish, start your own thread in New to the Hobby. Once you get a stocking list, try back here. This thread is about fish compatibility with each other and the environment you are providing for them.

once again thanks for your advice its very much appreciated

RattlerSkin
10/08/2011, 07:15 PM
What is the consensus of adding a pygmy hawkfish to a tank with a yellow watchman goby, firefish and an occelaris clown? I am upgrading tanks and I am looking into what other tankmates I would want to have. I do have a full-size cleaner shrimp and a full-size fire shrimp. Both shrimp are over 3" in length, so I dont know if anyone has had or heard of issues with the pygmy hawkfish going after full-sized shrimp.

I have softies and LPS with the intention of adding an anemone and a clam later on, so with that in mind, what other ideas would go along with what I already have? I like the little trimma gobies, but that may be an issue with the YWG or the pygmy hawkfish. Maybe a diamond goby would be a better idea, since I have a lot of sand in the tank but will a diamond goby get along with the YWG?

snorvich
10/08/2011, 09:02 PM
What is the consensus of adding a pygmy hawkfish to a tank with a yellow watchman goby, firefish and an occelaris clown? I am upgrading tanks and I am looking into what other tankmates I would want to have. I do have a full-size cleaner shrimp and a full-size fire shrimp. Both shrimp are over 3" in length, so I dont know if anyone has had or heard of issues with the pygmy hawkfish going after full-sized shrimp.

I have softies and LPS with the intention of adding an anemone and a clam later on, so with that in mind, what other ideas would go along with what I already have? I like the little trimma gobies, but that may be an issue with the YWG or the pygmy hawkfish. Maybe a diamond goby would be a better idea, since I have a lot of sand in the tank but will a diamond goby get along with the YWG?

Please provide details of tank including age and size.

RattlerSkin
10/08/2011, 10:22 PM
Please provide details of tank including age and size.

It's a 60G tank that is an upgrade from the 28G I originally had. Everything from the 28G is going into the 60G, including about 30 pounds of live rock in addition to the 35 pounds that were in the 28G. It is a brand new upgrade, but the 28G was established for about 5 months. I had a great pod population in the 28G and the 60G has a 35 gallon sump/fuge that I hope will be a massive pod factory for me.

snorvich
10/09/2011, 05:30 AM
What is the consensus of adding a pygmy hawkfish to a tank with a yellow watchman goby, firefish and an occelaris clown?

This thread will not provide consensus, just my opinions. If you want a vote, start a separate thread in Reef Fish. Fish compatibility wise, you should be fine

I am upgrading tanks and I am looking into what other tankmates I would want to have. I do have a full-size cleaner shrimp and a full-size fire shrimp. Both shrimp are over 3" in length, so I dont know if anyone has had or heard of issues with the pygmy hawkfish going after full-sized shrimp.

Plectreanthias inermis is very shy and stays hidden. They are rather aggressive towards each other and eat all which fits in their mouth. Especially all shrimps as that seems the be the main part of their diet. Mine preferred all kind of shrimp like food (mysis, krill) before they took brine.

I have softies and LPS with the intention of adding an anemone and a clam later on, so with that in mind, what other ideas would go along with what I already have? I like the little trimma gobies, but that may be an issue with the YWG or the pygmy hawkfish.

If it fits in the mouth of a pygmy hawkfish, it will be at risk

Maybe a diamond goby would be a better idea, since I have a lot of sand in the tank but will a diamond goby get along with the YWG?

In your sized tank, it may be ok.

NanoReefNoob
10/09/2011, 05:52 AM
Hello I am looking for for a new fish for my 14G Biocube. I have right now one clown, a yellow spoted goby, and a coral banded shrimp. As of right now I only have two soft corals but I am working on a LED set up so I can try to keep SPS. I want a fish that will swim around the tank and has some color but I really dont know what I can get. I know that another clown will most likly fight my courent clown and another goby will fight my courent goby. Could you give me some Ideas because I just dont know.

Thank you